Sam and Emma. by Donald Nelsen

Sam and Emma.

by Donald Nelsen

Other authors: Edward Gorey (Illustrator)

Sam, a dog, and Emma, a cat, live at a nice house and have nice, fancy things. One day they decide to go exploring, and along the way encounter other animals. Emma dislikes them all, though Sam is friendly and tries to find the best in everyone they meet.

This is obviously supposed to a tale of moral example, yet I think it falls short, because in my opinion Emma didn’t really learn any lessons and is just as “catty” (see what I did there??) at the end of the story as she is at the beginning.

The text is mostly in verse, yet sometimes it seems like there is no rhyme or reason (again? I’m on a roll today) to some of the verses. The rhythm is not clear enough to make this easy to read with the “sing-songy” voice one normally uses when reading children’s books aloud.

As for the illustrations, they are rather cute. I especially love how Emma the cat is wearing a necklace, and the beavers appear to be wearing swimming trunks.

I would not go out of my way to recommend this book, but I would not dissuade anyone from reading it, either.

This ebook was given to me by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  KnivesBoone | Aug 14, 2016 |
added by booksaplenty1949 | editGoreyography.com (Jul 24, 2016)

Donald Nelsenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gorey, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

While Sam, the dog, tries to explain that everyone should be allowed their own way of doing things, Emma, the cat, can only scoff at the animals they meet during their walk through the woods.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,443,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible