Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter by Darwyn…

Richard Stark's Parker: The Hunter (2009)

by Darwyn Cooke (Adapter), Richard Stark (Original author)

2871939,220 (4.23)22

English (18)  Danish (1)  All languages (19)
Excellent first volume, the art is perfect and the text is classic. ( )
  JonathanCrites | Sep 10, 2014 |
This is an excellent graphic novel rendition of Richard Stark's Parker novel The Hunter. I haven't read the original so I can't compare, but the graphic novel format works extremely well in telling this very hard-boiled story of a criminal's return from prison and revenge on the people, including his wife, that double-crossed him into ending up there. It has a raw, propulsive intensity that drives from beginning to end. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
Man, was this all kinds of awesome.

Based on the acclaimed novel of the same name by the late Richard Stark (Donald Westlake), artist Darwyn Cooke adapted it to the graphic novel medium. Parker, set up by a desperate man in need of paying off some sketchy loans, seemingly returns from the dead to settle a score. Running through members of a massive crime organization dubbed, The Outfit, Parker makes it clear he wants his money back - at any cost.

I know I've been told 'round these parts that Parker is an excellent character, but after reading this, I couldn't believe just how bad-ass he was. That's right, I went there. Not only was he calm, confident and collected in just about everything he did; he kicked some serious ass in the process.

Also, the artwork in this was just tremendous. Cooke painted the world of 1960s New York in blacks, whites and various shades of blue. I've never seen anything like it and it really fit the atmosphere of Stark's story.

I'll go so far as to say this is easily one of my new favorites and the best graphic novel I've read since Batman's The Long Halloween. I have no idea how this measures up to the original source but if it's any indication on how this series is set to progress, count me in as a extremely interested.

EDIT - Met Darwyn. Got a signed copy! ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
Awesome art. Film Noir storyline. Not a read-again, but good. ( )
  allisonneke | Dec 17, 2013 |
So gritty I can still taste the sand in my back teeth. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 30, 2013 |
Mr. Cooke depicts his characters with such emotion and conveys so much with gesture and composition that, except for the specifics of the hijacking, you could almost follow the story by the images alone. And when the words and graphics are in harmony, the effect is deliciously brutal

Imagine Mad Men, with its cool stylishness, but with characters even more depraved and rapacious, and you'll have an idea for what's in store when you read The Hunter.

Normally, a straight genre tale where the only point is how many people Parker can kill before he gets what he thinks is coming to him wouldn’t be for me, but although I’m not the audience, I can see the appeal. And the art is beautiful.

Cooke, DarwynAdapterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stark, RichardOriginal authormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Parker, a master thief, comes to New York City bent on getting revenge both on the woman who betrayed him and on the former partners who double-crossed him and cheated him of his money.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,563,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible