Invisible by Paul Auster

Invisible (2009)

by Paul Auster

English (57)  French (4)  Catalan (4)  Spanish (4)  Norwegian (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (80)
Shelf Notes Review - Click Here!
3.5 stars

Dear Reader,

I selected to read this in Audio book format. Paul Auster reads his books beautifully (in my opinion) and I can never resist the chance to listen to his hypnotizing voice. I was under the impression that everyone would enjoy his narration just as much, however, I found out that not everyone feels the same as me. I listen to my audio books in my car and every now and then, my boyfriend gets to listen too (when we decide to take my car.) He was blessed one day to ride with me while I was just starting Invisible, I was actually quite excited thinking that he'd find Auster as wonderful as me. No, he did not. I didn't even have to ask him what he thought of Auster's glorious voice, he told me right away, "How can you STAND it? His voice is so monotone!" That's when I realized what he said was true! I still didn't care, monotone or not, I loved every syllable. I wanted to tell this story because I think it taught me a lesson and really needs to be said for readers asking if they should Audio this book or just read it. I would jump up and down and say you'd be crazy not to want to hear Auster sex up his own writing... but on the other hand, maybe you would be like my boyfriend and wonder why he doesn't use any inflection or change his voice for each character. To each their own!

With that said, on to the book itself. This book is chock full of crazy stuff. If you know Auster, you'll know to expect this. If this is a first time Auster read? I would suggest picking up one of his earlier books first (or audio booking Winter Journal - my favorite). The story is told in seasons, each one a chapter of the book the main character has written of his life. I always love books about books, this one lacked a little of that charm though. The charm the story held was within the development of Adam and the whimsical characters he interacted with. Whimsical may be the wrong word for that if you start thinking of Disney characters but that was the first word that came to mind. You see Adam throughout his life; traveling, getting into trouble, struggling writer, wanting to know the meaning of everything. Auster always does this so well (again, in my opinion). The shocking moments of the book really took me for surprise, they come at times you don't expect them. I would recommend this book to anyone who has already experienced Auster and enjoyed his work.

Happy Reading,
AmberBug ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
One of those books that is hard to review. Good writing check, plot holds together check, themes hard to quantify or qualify, also check. Worth reading, perhaps but worth going to read, to paraphrase Johnson, maybe not. ( )
  charlie68 | May 3, 2014 |
A young man's coming of age story, so much so normal. And he meets exotic and dangerous foreigners, who lead him down a dizzying and terrifying path - again, par for the course. Invisible opens up a series of interlocking narratives, of fantasy, lost promise, impossible destinies, missed chances and last resorts. It ends at the end of the earth, in the tropics, heroically unresolved
  otterley | Apr 14, 2014 |
I would have given this book 4 stars if the ending was better. Very entertaining, witty and fast-paced, but the conclusion left me cold. ( )
  gkyoungen | Mar 24, 2014 |
I loved this book right up until the last 30 or so pages, then came an ending which left me feeling as though Auster just ran out of time before deadline and threw some random ideas out with the hope that the reader wouldn't notice. Despite the less than perfect ending it still IMHO rated 4*s. ( )
  mlbelize | Jan 27, 2014 |
In dem Dutzend Romane, die Auster seit der berühmten "New York-Trilogie" (1987) veröffentlicht hat, treten alle Naselang Rivalen des Erzählers auf den Plan und schildern zentrale Passagen ganz anders. Figuren, die mit Vorliebe "Paul Auster" heißen, drehen undurchsichtige Dinger, versprechen viel und halten wenig. Zu allem Überfluss umtosen - mit der Härte und Regelmäßigkeit eines Monsuns - den ohnehin betröppelten Leser theoretische Tiraden über das Gleißnerische von Sprache und Identität. Austers neuester Streich "Unsichtbar" ist da keine Ausnahme. Und eben doch.

Dette er ganske enkelt genial romankunst
Paul Auster har laget et fullkomment mysterium.
Med «Usynlig» har han kvesset skriveklørne; boka er fiks, leken, uhyggelig og så fullstendig gjennomtenkt at en gisper etter luft underveis.

Auster vet nøyaktig hva han driver med — ikke ett ord virker overflødig i hans univers, hvor mord, mysterier og incestuøse forhold kreerer kriblinger og ubehag i sofakroken.

Verglichen mit dem große Joseph Conrad kann Paul Auster relativ wenig. Aber vielleicht sollten wir Paul Auster einfach als Autor gehobener Unterhaltungsliteratur betrachten. Und da schneidet er dann plötzlich ziemlich gut ab. Seine Prosa ist wenig inspiriert, aber sie rutscht selten ins ganz Dumme, Klischeehafte ab. Seine Romanfiguren sind aus Pappmaché gemacht, aber die Konstruktion des Plots ist clever. Es gibt genug Sex und genug Crime, um den Leser bei Laune zu halten. Man verbringt einen angenehmen Nachmittag mit dem Zeug und hat hinterher nichts davon im Herzen zurückbehalten.
added by lophuels | editDie Welt, Hannes Stein (Aug 14, 2010)

Paul Austerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schmitz, WernerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlek, RonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I shook his hand for the first time in the spring of 1967.

Sinuously constructed in four interlocking parts, Paul Auster’s fifteenth novel opens in New York City in the spring of 1967, when twenty-year-old Adam Walker, an aspiring poet and student at Columbia University, meets the enigmatic Frenchman Rudolf Born and his silent and seductive girfriend, Margot. Before long, Walker finds himself caught in a perverse triangle that leads to a sudden, shocking act of violence that will alter the course of his life.

Three different narrators tell the story of Invisible, a novel that travels in time from 1967 to 2007 and moves from Morningside Heights to the Left Bank of Paris to a remote island in the Caribbean. It is a book of youthful rage, unbridled sexual hunger, and a relentless quest for justice. With uncompromising insight, Auster takes us into the shadowy borderland between truth and memory, between authorship and identity, to produce a work of unforgettable power that confirms his reputation as “one of America’s most spectacularly inventive writers.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:38 -0400)

Poet and student Adam Walker meets the enigmatic Frenchman Rudolf Born and his silent, seductive girlfriend, Margot, sending Adam into a perverse triangle that leads to a shocking act of violence that will alter his life.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Invisible by Paul Auster was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,238,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible