The True Story of Stellina by Matteo…

The True Story of Stellina

by Matteo Pericoli

Stellina, the bird, has fallen out of her nest and is alone and scared in New York. Stellina is taken in by a couple who do not live far away from her birth place. Stellina becomes their beloved pet. The story details the adventures that Stellina has with her owners'. The bird and the humans make each other happy. At the end of the story, Stellina passes away. It is noted that her name means little star, she is now in the sky looking down on her owners. I would share this book with my students because it is cute and most of us relate to having a beloved pet. ( )
  kbartholomew1 | Feb 19, 2015 |
This was probably one of my favorite books I've read in this log. The main idea I think is to love unconditionally and take care of others regardless of where they come from. One of the main reasons I liked this book was the writing. Almost every time he would mention his wife, he would say "Holly, my wife". I think this is helpful to the children reading it because it reminds them who this character is. He also throws the word "CHEEP" in the text randomly throughout the story. The children start to recognize this word and can say it along with the reader. It is also fun for them to hear the reader interrupt the story by cheeping like a little bird. The second reason I liked this book was because of the characters. Holly saved Stellina off the street after falling out of her nest and took her home. She fed her grapes and eggs and Stellina "might not have lived to be loved so much" if she wasn't rescued. This teaches children about compassion and helping people and animals in need, and going out of your way to care for others. ( )
  jperro2 | Feb 27, 2014 |
This book was very touching and it told the cutest story. The book is about a lady named Holly and her husband that find a little baby bird on a busy street corner in Manhattan. Holly takes the bird home and names her Stellina. Stellina becomes part of the family and lives to be eight years old. She was loved by her family because she became their pet and did everything with them. This story contains sentimental values and can teach the reader about love and loss. ( )
  ccbell | Nov 14, 2012 |
This cute story follows the life and explorations of Stellina the bird. Find out where she ends up and who takes care of her in the end.
  krystalkay | Nov 3, 2012 |
I loved this picture book. There was more text than I usually like in a PB, but it had a fresh, quirky, charming voice. It had some repetition too (cheep, and now?) to keep kids following along with the longer text. And what a wonderful story, to boot! ( )
  snozzberry | Jan 1, 2007 |

Stellina was a bird: “CHEEP.” A very little bird: “Cheep! cheep!”So begins critically acclaimed author Matteo Pericoli’s all-true story of how he and his wife, Holly, came to rescue and raise a little finch, Stellina, in the middle of New York City. When no zoo would take the abandoned bird, fallen from her nest onto a busy street, Holly took her home and gave her the best life she could. And there, in a Manhattan apartment, Stellina leaned how to eat, fly, and sing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:22 -0400)

The true story of a baby finch rescued and raised by the author and his wife.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,059,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible