Widowmaker by Peter Morwood

Widowmaker

by Peter Morwood

!authorsite (1) __check_cover (1) Alba (1) clan wars (1) default (1) fantasy (4) fiction (3) magic (1) mooched (1) present (1) sf (3) swords (1) to-read (1) unread (1)

Good and interesting book - I'd never read it before - but its impact was somewhat diluted by my reading it over three months (the problem with ebooks). Still - nice to see more of Talvalin and Eskra; a lot of weird politics and honor-politics constraining actions; a great danger getting greater - and poof! The story ends. It's not a cliffhanger - the immediate threats have been resolved - but there are a heck of a lot of loose ends. Was it just the glamour, so Marc's back to happy with his lord? And if so, how is he going to feel about Eskra? Is ar'Diskan actually going to hold to the alliance, now that the immediate need is over? And what about all the other lords? Who was actually holding the hostages, since the Overlord was in the battle, and will they surrender them (and what will happen if they do?). Yeah. A lot of questions - some of which could only be answered by going through the politics and discussions necessary (which don't make for a very good story) - but I'd still like to see a bit more here. And of course now I want to read the Book of Years series again to see if any of them are answered there - I think I recall something about cu'Ruruc, but I'm not sure. Oh yes, and Gemmel shows up here - another reason to read BoY again, I don't remember the details of his relationship with the (much) younger Talvalin. Yeah, need to go see what was referenced here and shows up there. Good book, I will reread (I got it in paper when I was in the middle of reading it, so the reread can be faster) - but not right away. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Sep 12, 2010 |
The light was bronze-green, an underwater light, cold and remote.

Bayrd ar'Talvlyn had formed a new clan - the Talvalins. The name marked the first change in Alban tradition since their landing on the coast of Prytenon. In his stronghold of Dunrath, Bayrd lived with his clan and his new wife, Eskra, an Elthanek sorceress. Together they must combat other Alban clans - for Bayrd's success had bred much envy - and the Prytenek and Elthanek nobles and magicians who still hated the incomers. And one name was spoken more and more as a leader of their enemies...Kalarr cu Ruruc, the most evil and powerful magician his people had known for generations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,742,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible