Duino Elegies by Rainer Maria Rilke

Duino Elegies (1923)

by Rainer Maria Rilke

Zen elegies by Andrei Bronnikov (Anonymous user)

English (8)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (10)
Not a penultimate favorite, but this kind of poetry definitely sucks you deep inside the marrow of the bones of its message. It's a very flowing format and the words wrap around you slowly like ribbons to take into every sensation of it.

I almost devoured the whole thing in one sitting. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |
Incredibly beautiful and illuminating. I already have some passages memorized and hope to learn more. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 29, 2013 |
My deutsch wird worse, no question, but the gnarled syntax didn't make things any easier for me here, and then when I powered through I found a bunch of death-and-the-ineffable-obsessed, mistful pomposity. The kind of shit that makes you want to blow a raspberry or make a jerkoff motion. I was ready to write the guy off, but then I got to the Tenth Elegy, which is, of course, magnificent, phantasmagoric, Eurydicean, everything I wanted the others to be. Not a fretting on neurosis, but a vision of the Underworld that is this world.

Und wir, die an steigendes Glück
denken, empfänden die Rührung,
die uns beinah bestürzt,
wenn ein Glückliches
fällt. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Nov 28, 2012 |
Rilke is often noted in various types of writings and I had an opportunity to purchase this inexpensive book of poems. Some of the stanzas held imagery that pulled me in but overall it was way to cryptic for a simpleton such as I. ( )
  JBreedlove | Nov 13, 2009 |
I prefer the MacIntyre translation; however, I do appreciate Peter Porter's preface here, and the illustrations by Elisabeth Frink ( )
  LEMedlin | Feb 27, 2008 |

Meriluoto, AilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Snow, Edward A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spender, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Young, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Aus dem Besitz der Furstin Marie von Thurn und Taxis-Hohenlohe.
The Property of Princess Marie von Thurn und Taxis-Hohenlohe
This translation dedicated to Rodney Kent Albin (1940-1985) "To have been as one, though but the once, with this world, never can be undone."
Who, though I cry aloud, would hear me in the angel orders?
[Translator's Preface] How reframe the silhouettes of angels, snipped from fog, stuck starlike on a concave cloudscape where Rilke rides with silent spurs in a black bandana, disguised as night?

Who, if I cried out, would hear me among the angelic
orders? and even if one of them pressed me
suddenly to his heart: I'd be consumed
in that overwhelming existence. For beauty is nothing
but the beginning of terror, which we can just barely endure,
and we stand in awe of it as it coolly disdains
to destroy us. Every angel is terrifying.
-from "The First Elegy"

Over the last fifteen years, in his two volumes of New Poems as well as in The Book of Images and Uncollected Poems, Edward Snow has emerged as one of Rainer Maria Rilke's most able English-language interpreters. In his translations, Snow adheres faithfully to the intent of Rilke's German while constructing nuanced, colloquial poems in English.

Written in a period of spiritual crisis between 1912 and 1922, the poems that compose the Duino Elegies are the ones most frequently identified with the Rilkean sensibility. With their symbolic landscapes, prophetic proclamations, and unsettling intensity, these complex and haunting poems rank among the outstanding visionary works of the century.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:53 -0400)

The great German poet regarded these meditations on love, death, God, and life's meaning as his greatest achievement. Innovative and enigmatic, the enduringly popular elegies express Rilke's longing for solitude and his painful loneliness. These excellent translations are both true to the originals and poetic in their own right.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,033,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible