The Stone Council by Jean-Christophe Grange

The Stone Council

by Jean-Christophe Grange

French (5)  English (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All (11)
READ IN DUTCH

I see now that the English blurb is more disclosing about the paranormal aspect of this book. Well, it wasn't in the Dutch blurb, and when I bought this book I'd expected a completely different kind of book.

This book really was a disappointment for me. I never felt engaged with any of the characters and didn't care for the story. And when things take a turn for the paranormal stuff (which I still think is weird, because it starts off as 'normal' thriller) I kind of gave up, and dutifully read the rest of the book, but I was very glad when it was over and didn't enjoy reading it.

I suppose it's no surprise I haven't read any more books by Jean-Christophe Grangé. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
(Note: This one is review of English translation - “Harvill Crime in Vintage” edition)

Diane, ethologist, martial arts expert (like in terms of Lara Croft – as one review pointed out) and a rather disturbed young woman (having had some very deep traumas in her past) decides to adopt a young child from Thailand. Soon she will find herself targeted by some mysterious foe. After discovering that her adopted son is not an ordinary child she begins the journey to unravel the mystery surrounding him.

This novel, pretty bloody and gory at times, with a fantastic element, is at times fast but at times it seems that author was somewhat at loss how to continue the story (there are some gaps in the story, unanswered questions if you like, but again this may be done with purpose).

Nevertheless it is a very interesting and enjoyable book – it reads fast and is action packed till the end. I am currently on the lookout for other novels from the same author.

Recommended. ( )
  Zare | Aug 10, 2009 |
Un peu abracadabrantesque comme dirait l'autre. La fin peche un peu par la faiblesse du scenario mais dans l'ensemble, Grange surprend et insuffle un rythme d'enfer a ce thriller. Moins bien que l'empire des loups. ( )
1 vote Replay | Sep 19, 2006 |

"As a child, Diane Thiberge had been the victim of an assualt. Now aged 30, an ethnologist specialising in the study of predatory animals, and a woman adept in the martial arts, she believes she has at last found a meaning and purpose to her life when she decides to adopt a five-year-old Thai boy, Liu-San, whom she christens Lucien." "On her return to France, however, Lucien is involved in an accident and is declared to be brain-dead. A series of murders make Diane realise that her son is no ordinary child, but someone who, through no fault of his own, has fallen prey to sinister paranormal forces. In a denouement that takes her from Paris and Germany to the remote mountain fastnesses of Mongolia, she resolves to fight for her son's survival."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible