We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel…

We Need to Talk About Kevin (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Lionel Shriver

5,229292849 (4.1)1 / 555
Member:dylanwolf
Title:We Need to Talk About Kevin
Authors:Lionel Shriver
Info:Serpent's Tail (2005), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 436 pages
Collections:NAR - SMI
Tags:USA, read

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (2003)

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (bnbookgirl, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these novels are about school shootings and the alienated teenage boys responsible for them. 'We need to talk about Kevin' depicts the complex relationships within the shooter's family, whereas 'Nineteen minutes' focuses on the larger community affected by the event.… (more)
    Columbine by Dave Cullen (GCPLreader)
    The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing (christiguc, humppabeibi)
    christiguc: Both are books that explore the nature vs. nurture question in disturbing situations.
    Before and After by Rosellen Brown (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these novels tell haunting, harrowing stories about the family relationships of teenage boys who commit unthinkable crimes: in 'We need to talk about Kevin' a school shooting, and in 'Before and after' a teenager's murder of his girlfriend.… (more)
    Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland (verenka)
    verenka: Both books deal with the aftermath of school shootings but from different perspectives.
    The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb (freddlerabbit)
    Defending Jacob by William Landay (arielfl, Booksloth)
    arielfl: Both books are about bad seed boys who murder and who have mothers who have an inkling about their true nature and with fathers who deny, deny, deny.
    The Point of Rescue / The Wrong Mother by Sophie Hannah (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both novels explore difficult themes surrounding Motherhood.
    Little Star by John Ajvide Lindqvist (julienne_preacher)
    The Dinner by Herman Koch (INTPLibrarian)
    INTPLibrarian: Disturbed child and parents dealing with it. Both with twists / unexpected parts.
    The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas (RidgewayGirl)
    Boy A by Jonathan Trigell (FemmeNoiresque)
    The Cement Garden by Ian McEwan (Monika_L)
    Empire Falls by Richard Russo (mcenroeucsb)

English (278)  French (4)  German (3)  Italian (2)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (292)
Like any great book, Lionel Shriver's [book:We Need to Talk About Kevin] refuses, despite its title, to be reduced to a simple 'it's about' summary.

It is about high-school shootings, but it's also about society's expectations of Motherhood; it's about the nature vs nurture argument and it's also about politics, and attitudes to violence.

Most important though is that it's a great page-turning read, despite the fact that it's apparent from the outset that Kevin has comitted a Columbine style massacre.

Perhaps the single most impressive thing about the book is how Shriver has created a narrator who is utterly credible, and yet on a return reading proves to be far from reliable. Like Conrad's [book:The Good Soldier] this is a story that has various levels, and interpretations.

In Lionel Shriver commented:

"Interestingly, it is not the school shooting stuff that people want to talk about, and if anything this aspect of the book has been more a commercial turn-off than come-on. It’s these themes you think are subsumed that explain why this novel has attracted a certain amount of attention. I imagine the issues of parental responsibility, say, or the emotionally prescriptive nature of motherhood could have been explored without the school-shooting element. I just decided to do it that way"

Litblog | Dec 19, 2014 |
Haunting! I read it over a year ago as part of a book club and I still think about it. ( )
  MiriamMartin | Dec 12, 2014 |
Written in one of my favourite styles, this book was sad, funny, nostalgic, heart-breaking and had the twist at the end that you could ALMOST see coming but not quite. Definitely check this one out if you can handle the angst. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
3.5 stars.
The first half or so of the book was so excruciatingly slow, I almost had to abandon ship. I also was not a fan of the letter format that was the entire book. However the last 100 pages were amazing, if I could give just these pages 5 stars I would but Lord, I can't forgive the others. I was completely engrossed in the (very long awaited) climax of this sick, morbidly fascinating and in some weird way touching story. ( )
  reigningstars | Dec 4, 2014 |
A powerful, gripping and original meditation on evil

At a time when fiction by women has once again been criticised for its dull domesticity, here is a fierce challenge of a novel by a woman that forces the reader to confront assumptions about love and parenting, about how and why we apportion blame, about crime and punishment, forgiveness and redemption and, perhaps most significantly, about how we can manage when the answer to the question why? is either too complex for human comprehension, or simply non-existent.

The epistolary method Shriver uses, letters to Eva's absent husband, strains belief, yet ultimately that's not what trips us up. It's Eva's relentless negativity that becomes boring and repetitive in the first half of the book, the endless recounting of her loss of svelteness, her loss of freedom.
added by stephmo | editSalon.com, Barbara O'Dair (Aug 12, 2004)

Maybe there are books to be written about teenage killers and about motherhood, but this discordant and misguided novel isn't one of them.
added by stephmo | editThe Guardian, Sarah A. Smith (Nov 15, 2003)

A little less, however, might have done a lot more for this book. A guilt-stricken Eva Khatchadourian digs into her own history, her son's and the nation's in her search for the responsible party, and her fierceness and honesty sustain the narrative; this is an impressive novel, once you get to the end.

Lionel Shriverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Trouw, MiekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A child needs your love most when he deserves it least.
--Erma Bombeck
For Terri: One worst-case scenario we've both escaped.
I'm unsure why one trifling incident this afternoon has moved me to write to you.
You were ambitious - for your life, what it was like when you woke up in the morning, and not for some attainment.  Like most people who did not answer a particular calling from an early age, you placed work beside yourself; any occupation would fill up your day but not your heart.  I liked that about you.  I liked it enormously.
Only a country that feels invulnerable can afford political turmoil as entertainment.

Poikani Kevin koostuu Evan kirjeistä miehelleen Franklinille. Eva Khatchadourianilla oli loistelias ura ja onnellinen avioliitto, ennen kuin hän sai lapsen. Nyt heidän poikansa Kevin on vankilassa järkyttävän rikoksen takia, ja Eva käy kirjeissään läpi tragediaa edeltänyttä aikaa. Miksi Kevin päätyi hirmutekoon? Oliko kaikki vanhempien syytä? Mitä jos Eva olisi rakastanut Keviniä enemmän? Jos Frank ei olisi aina yrittänyt nähdä asioiden valoista puolta? Jos Eva olisi halunnut lasta enemmän? Vai olisiko näistä mikään muuttanut mitään? Shriver käsittelee tarkkanäköisesti mustimpiakin tunteita ja ajassa liikkuvia ilmiöitä. Romaani käsittelee suuria kysymyksiä "arkisesti", kiinnittyy omaan aikaamme ja erittelee sen vastenmielisimpiä piirteitä tinkimättömästi. Se kysyy oikeita kysymyksiä, mutta ei anna valmiita vastauksia. Poikani Kevin on romaani syyllisyydestä, äidinrakkaudesta ja sen puuttumisesta, itsekkyydestä ja selittämättömästä pahuudesta, jota on mahdoton selittää tyhjäksi millään psykologian teorioilla. Järkyttävä, yllätyksellinen ja ajatuksia herättävä romaani voitti vuoden 2005 Orange-palkinnon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006112429X, Paperback)

The gripping international bestseller about motherhood gone awry

Eva never really wanted to be a mother—and certainly not the mother of the unlovable boy who murdered seven of his fellow high school students, a cafeteria worker, and a much-adored teacher who tried to befriend him, all two days before his sixteenth birthday. Now, two years later, it is time for her to come to terms with marriage, career, family, parenthood, and Kevin’s horrific rampage in a series of startlingly direct correspondences with her estranged husband, Franklin. Uneasy with the sacrifices and social demotion of motherhood from the start, Eva fears that her alarming dislike for her own son may be responsible for driving him so nihilistically off the rails.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:17 -0400)

Eva Khatchadourian writes to her estranged husband Frank, trying to solve what went wrong in raising their son Kevin after he kills seven classmates and a teacher in his high school in upstate New York.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921145080, 192175849X

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,441,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible