Jane Eyre (Norton Critical Editions) by…

Jane Eyre (Norton Critical Editions) (edition 2000)

by Charlotte Bronte, Richard J. Dunn (Editor)

Member:eugeniaK
Title:Jane Eyre (Norton Critical Editions)
Authors:Charlotte Bronte
Other authors:Richard J. Dunn (Editor)
Info:W. W. Norton (2000), Edition: 3, Paperback, 512 pages
Rating:*****

Jane Eyre [Norton Critical Edition] by Charlotte Brontë

Recently added byprivate library, Rosalie1998, Lizzie_Bell, Vasquez, seite, ascalo, Rutledges, BethAustin

English (14)  Piratical (1)  All (15)
I've been wanting to read all of the Brontës' books this year because they've been on my mind after I wrote a short story about them, so I started with this one, one that I was assigned in freshman English and loved then but had forgotten quite a lot of in the 19 years since.

Well, on this re-read I was happy to find that the book is every bit as marvelous as I remembered. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit more on this reading, for two reasons. One of them is that my feminist identity is fully-formed now, whereas when I was 14 it was still in its nascent stage, so that let me be a lot more receptive to those elements of the book. And then the other reason is that this time I was reading the Norton Critical Edition, and I always love those so much! ( )
  selfcallednowhere | May 28, 2016 |
Classics are books which, the more we think we know them through hearsay, the more original, unexpected, and innovative we find them when we actually read them. - Italo Calvino, Why Read the Classics?

This is my fourth time reading Jane Eyre. Although the story is known to me, I still find myself overwhelmed with emotions when reading this novel. At times anxious, at times laughing with delight, at times weeping softly. Jane is a very human superwoman. Her understanding, observations, fortitude, and wisdom are for the ages. For me, she is the ultimate heroine. ( )
  libbromus | Dec 7, 2015 |
Published in 1847 and written by Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre is a first-person narrative of the title character, a poor, intelligent, independent and strong-willed orphan. The novel, coming-of-age story, goes through distinct stages in Jane's life: Jane's childhood at Gateshead, where she is abused by her aunt and cousins; her education at Lowood School, where she acquires friends; her time as the governess of Thornfield Manor, where she falls in love with her employer, Edward Rochester; and her time with the Rivers family at Marsh End. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, and Jane has become one of my favorite characters. The first person narratives serves the story well. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Nov 19, 2014 |
Since there has been many previous reviews that stated the summary, I will no longer add to that list. Although, I will add that this fictional autobiography is definitely a well loved classic that should be read by everyone. This forever will be one of my favorites. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Aug 28, 2011 |
An utterly touching novel that presents the emotionally deep and ideologically stalwart Jane Eyre to the reader over the course of years. This particular edition, with its introductory and supplemental material, is exceptional. ( )
  syntheticvox | Jun 20, 2011 |

Charlotte Brontëprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dunn, Richard J.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunn, Richard J.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
Do Not Combine: This is a "Norton Critical Edition", it is a unique work with significant added material, including essays and background materials. Do not combine with other editions of the work. Please maintain the phrase "Norton Critical Edition" in the Canonical Title and Publisher Series fields.

The text reprinted in this new edition is that of the 1848 third edition text--the last text corrected by the author.

"Contexts" includes eighteen new selections and two new subsections: "Charlotte and Jane’s Illustrated Book" which includes a letter from Brontë to her publisher W. S. Williams; "Vignettes from Bewick"; and "Charlotte Brontë and Bewick’s "British Birds’" and "Charlotte Brontë as Governess," which includes letters to Emily Brontë, Ellen Nussey, W. S. Williams, and "The Governess-Grinders." "Criticism" collects six major essays on Jane Eyre, four of them new to the Third Edition. Contributors include Adrienne Rich, Sandra M. Gilbert, Jerome Beaty, Lisa Sternlieb, Jeffrey Sconce, and Donna Marie Nudd. A new Chronology and updated Selected Bibliography are also included.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:13 -0400)

In early nineteenth-century England, an orphaned young woman accepts employment as a governess and soon finds herself in love with her employer who has a terrible secret. Charlotte Bronte's novel about the passionate love between Jane Eyre, a young girl alone in the world, and the rich, brilliant, domineering Rochester has enthralled every kind of reader, from the most critical and cultivated to the youngest and most unabashedly romantic, ever since its publication in 1847. It lives as one of the great triumphs of storytelling and as a moving affirmation of the prerogatives of the heart in the face of disappointment and misfortune.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,774,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible