The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the…

The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the Village Under the Sea: Poems (2005)

by Mark Haddon

Unfortunately I listened to this rather than read it. Like all poetry one needs to go back and forth not easy to do on audio. Also I never knew the works that were abridged so it lost all meaning. ( )
  bergs47 | Mar 28, 2013 |
I much prefer Haddon's novels to his poetry. There was maybe one poem I actually enjoyed; mostly they just didn't make any sense to me. I have never been much of a poetry fan to begin with (exepct for Longfellow and Bukowski) but for some reason I keep trying. I think I should just give it up and realize poetry just isn't for me. This book of poems did not help. ( )
  goldiebear | Mar 20, 2009 |
A great book of observant poetry for a great writer of novels. ( )
  Djupstrom | Apr 27, 2008 |

From the phenomenally bestselling author of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time comes Mark Haddon’s first collection of poems.

That Mark Haddon’s first book after The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is a book of poetry may surprise his many fans; that it is also one of such virtuosity and range will not.

The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the Village Under the Sea reveals a poet of great versatility and formal talent. All the gifts so admired in Haddon’s prose are in strong evidence here – the humanity, the dark humour, and the uncanny ventriloquism – but Haddon is also a writer of considerable seriousness, lyric power, and surreal invention. This book will consolidate his reputation as one of the most imaginative writers in contemporary literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:14 -0400)

A collection of poetry presents an array of love lyrics, new versions of classical odes, lullabies, and comic set-pieces that demonstrate a versatility of voice and imagination.

44 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,561,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible