The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the…

The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the Village Under the Sea: Poems (2005)

by Mark Haddon

love his versions of Horace's Odes ( )
  InezGard | Sep 15, 2015 |
Oy. I know I'm not an expert at reading poetry, but I've enjoyed a fair bit of it. This book, not so much. Sorry. I wish I could say why in terms that would help you - but all I can say is that *to me* it seemed like almost all of these were playing with words & allusions to no actual purpose. No insights, no revelations, no new perspectives. Ok, a couple did reference that exact attitude, did briefly explore what it means to be a poet and what a poet's role is... but those seemed more like self-indulgent navel-gazing, y'know? One poem I did like - but then this one seemed more like the kind of simplistic narrative verse fed to school-children. Judge for yourself:

A Tally Stick

The bark is notched six times, one notch
for every cow left in the pound,
then split, the cowman and the poundman
taking half each, so that when
the cowman comes to claim his stock
six cows are led out from the pound
though neither of the men can count.

Connemara, 1610:
A cowman spreads his hands and watches
as a priest names all his fingers.
He starts to count potatoes, hens,
the steps across his single field
whose blades the Lord alone can sum.

Then pausing at the gate one night
he thinks of seven. Not trees. Not dogs.
Just seven. Like the Plough
before God put the stars in.

Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Unfortunately I listened to this rather than read it. Like all poetry one needs to go back and forth not easy to do on audio. Also I never knew the works that were abridged so it lost all meaning. ( )
  bergs47 | Mar 28, 2013 |
I much prefer Haddon's novels to his poetry. There was maybe one poem I actually enjoyed; mostly they just didn't make any sense to me. I have never been much of a poetry fan to begin with (exepct for Longfellow and Bukowski) but for some reason I keep trying. I think I should just give it up and realize poetry just isn't for me. This book of poems did not help. ( )
  goldiebear | Mar 20, 2009 |
A great book of observant poetry for a great writer of novels. ( )
  Djupstrom | Apr 27, 2008 |
To Alfie and Zack
With thanks to Don Paterson and SOS Eltis
Ladies and gentlemen, members of the jury.

From the phenomenally bestselling author of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time comes Mark Haddon’s first collection of poems.

That Mark Haddon’s first book after The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is a book of poetry may surprise his many fans; that it is also one of such virtuosity and range will not.

The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the Village Under the Sea reveals a poet of great versatility and formal talent. All the gifts so admired in Haddon’s prose are in strong evidence here – the humanity, the dark humour, and the uncanny ventriloquism – but Haddon is also a writer of considerable seriousness, lyric power, and surreal invention. This book will consolidate his reputation as one of the most imaginative writers in contemporary literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:45 -0400)

A collection of poetry presents an array of love lyrics, new versions of classical odes, lullabies, and comic set-pieces that demonstrate a versatility of voice and imagination.

25 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,865,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible