The Sweet Life of Stella Madison by Lara M.…

The Sweet Life of Stella Madison

by Lara M. Zeises

Her father is a great French chef, but Stella doesn't loke gourmet food. She is a fast foodaholic. When she gets the chance to write food reviews for the local newspaper, she jumps on it (because then she will be able to buy a car before her senior year). Her long-separated parents seem to be really drifting apart, her current boyfriend has just said the "l" word, and she has found another guy who does things to her heart.

This is a great summer, but a real one for changes.

Great food talk, good characters, realistic relationships and a Lara Zeises book set in Delaware. What more could you ask for?

Out in paperback in the fall. ( )
  Kaybowes | Mar 13, 2010 |
This book is as sweet as the title plays off. I’m a food junkie who thinks that a marathon of Food Network Challenges is heaven. So of course when you give me a book about food it’s like a perfect match!

This food for thought can be a double-edged sword. Readers who are not familiar with certain foods and food terms will most likely be lost in the little details. Although Stella’s palette aims toward fast food and street food, the heavy menus from restaurants will be mind-boggling. Viewers of Bravo’s Top Chef, however, will feel right at home. The author does aid the readers with a small scene on how to properly consume (excuse me, I mean taste) food and the preparations of the perfect gnocchi.

Stella Madison is a teen that describes herself as a rubber ball bouncing in any direction; she has no sense of what she wants, she rolls with what’s given to her. So when she meets Jeremy, Max is suddenly out of her mind only to reappear when the guilt comes crawling back. Some might find Stella fickle with her whine, whine, whine about what she got herself into—Jeremy or Max? For some odd reason I did not find this true at all. I’m blaming on the writing. There’s a fine line where I felt that the author stayed within the realistic and coming-of-age story. This is Stella growing up and trying to tackle that rubber ball effect.

The whole book had a sense of cuteness, humor, and compassion. It deals with heartbreak, divorce, and a sexy European intern.

Overall: Food lovers and book lovers, pick up a copy of this book! ( )
  ylin.0621 | Feb 19, 2010 |
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Stella's not a foodie like her separated parents - but that doesn't stop her from accepting an internship writing about food. She's saving up to buy a car so she doesn't have to bum rides off her two best friends and her current boyfriend.

Stella's not known for long term relationships, but with Max it might be different. She likes spending time with him. Plus, he makes her laugh.

But why does he have to say he loves her? She's not sure how she feels about him, but those words make her want to bolt - especially when she learns his parents were high school sweethearts.

Plus, the new intern at her mom's restaurant catches her eye. He's older, dreamy, and flirty. She's told him about Max, but that doesn't stop her from hanging out with him and wanting to kiss him.

How can she stay true to herself if she doesn't know what she wants?

Stella struggles through finding herself in life and in romance. First she must deal with unresolved issues that surface while taking on a challenging summer internship and learning she knows more about food than she thinks.

Zeises writes an entertaining and thoughtful novel about choices and learning how to be comfortable in your own skin. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 13, 2009 |
The Sweet Life of Stella Madison is an exciting mix of food, friends, family, boys and summer experiences! I had a great time reading it. But seriously, this book will make you hungry! I found the foundation of food this story had rather unique. From the dinner menus at the beginning of chapters to how to order food when eating for the purpose of a review or even really tasting food for the first time. All those pieces are there.

I really liked reading about Stella's summer internship at the newspaper. I only wish she had started it sooner into the story. I feel like she just really got going there and it was over. I would have liked that to be a bigger part of the story.

I loved the character of Jeremy, Stella's mother's young intern. What a charmer, but he really understood Stella I felt. I felt bad for Stella's loving boyfriend, Max, who was oblivious to Stella's crush on Jeremy. I also loved Stella's parents and their jobs, definitely helped enhance the story, put her in a very interesting environment! Stella's friends were also sweet even if they were in the background most of the time.

I could have used a little more from the ending but overall I found The Sweet Life of Stella Madison to be a sweet and delicious story, pun intended! ( )
  mint910 | Jul 18, 2009 |

A warmhearted, delectable novel about what it means to love and be loved.

When Stella Madison's food-loving parents help her land a summer job at the local newspaper, there’s only one catch: she’s expected to write about food. Luckily, Stella has Jeremy, the hot new intern at her mom’s restaurant, who’s more than happy to help. But where does that leave Stella’s boyfriend, Max, who recently dropped the L-word? And could her separated parents be cooking up romances of their own?

“Stella Madison’s summer of food and love is a great read full of broken hearts, broken promises, and broken eggs. A must for anyone who eats.”—E. Lockhart, author of The Boyfriend List

“This book’s got all the right ingredients: friends, family, boys, and food. The perfect summer read!”—Sarah Dessen, New York Times bestselling author of Lock and Key and Just Listen

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:19 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Stella struggles with the separation of her renowned chef parents, writing a food column for the local paper even though she is a junk food addict, and having a boyfriend but being attracted to another.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible