The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

The Hunt for Red October (1984)

by Tom Clancy

English (75)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (79)
As much as I wanted this to be one of my favorite books (esp since the movie is up there in my top 15 or so), I was underwhelmed. I mean, the man did his research, don't get me wrong. I learned more about Alpha and Victor class subs than I'd ever care to know, but it was often too technical to keep me interested. I actually had to put it down frequently, just because I was getting so tangled up in the technical aspects of the subs and the espionage that I was starting to lose the story line. I am not a naval historian, nor do I really know anything about any sort of engineering, so perhaps that's why Clancy lost me.

That aside, the story itself was good. I thoroughly enjoyed Raimus; I wish we were privy to more of his private thoughts and actions and such, but otherwise, he was a well developed character unlike Jack Ryan. Ryan felt very... one dimensional. I just feel like I wanted so much more out of his character other than being really smart and terrified of flying. I was also a little disappointed that Skip didn't have a bigger part in the whole charade. I can't quite put my finger on why.

ALSO! I want to know what the hell happened to the Russian contact. I can't remember his code name off the top of my head, but they were so worried about getting him out, and never said if he agreed this time or not! With his poor health, it was definitely a possibility, but *poof* nothing.

Overall, it was a good book, but (sadly) the movie was better. ( )
  cebellol | May 3, 2016 |
I remember reading this book before the movie came out. It was awesome! Then the movie came out and it was awesome too. The one benefit of the book is that it provides better explanations of various topics taken for granted in the move (like SOSUS). One of my favorite movies. By default one of my favorite books. ( )
  usma83 | Feb 10, 2016 |
The Hunt for Red October, one of Tom Clancy's most famous works, is arguably the most thrilling military novel of all time. In fact, Clancy's accuracy and amazing accumulation of detail was so astounding to the American populace and book critics of the world that some thought he had been debriefed on the happenings of this era by the United States government. The story centers around the chase for an arcane Russian military submarine. The book introduces the main character of Jack Ryan, a young and highly intelligent CIA analyst in a extremely difficult situation for someone of his age to handle. The problems of politics, the riveting submarine chases and respective battles, and very believable characters make this story come together in an extremely realistic and intense way. For the people that have read the book, or plan on reading the book in the near-future, I wholeheartedly recommend seeing the movie as it is an accurate depiction of the book which rarely happens! My only criticism of the novel itself is that the beginning of the book is overworked with details to the point that all of the information is overwhelming and its relatively painful to get through. However, the action quickly picks up and saves the novel from disaster, with a marvelous, action-packed ending! ( )
  ConnorLynnCSH | Jan 22, 2016 |
An incredible introduction to the Jack Ryan series. I couldn't put this book down. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
This audiobook by Tom Clancy is unabridged, and clocks in at 15 hours. I have to give Mr. Clancy credit: it's a highly imaginative story, made quite plausible by the author's encyclopedic knowledge of ships, submarines, weapons, aircraft, and military procedures. What's more, the highly talented Frank Muller delivered the audio, and with his customary skill, showed himself quite adept at using different voices with appropriate accents (Russian, British, American). One downside of this audiobook for me was that technical detail (arguably necessary as it was for the story's credibility) made the story drag. (After all a listener cannot skim through the boring parts). Another negative was the large case of characters; other than the main figures, I kept losing track of who was who, to the point of not much caring. I doubt that I'll tackle another Clancy novel, to listen to or read. Nevertheless, Mr. Clancy is clearly excellent at this sort of work and I can see why he has such a following. It's also clear as to why this book (and others of his works) were developed into first-run movies. ( )
1 vote danielx | Jan 8, 2016 |
For Ralph Chatham,
a sub driver who spoke the truth,
and for all the men who wear dolphins
Captain First Rank Marko Ramius of the Soviet Navy was dressed for the Arctic conditions normal to the Northern Fleet submarine base at Polyarnyy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425133516, Mass Market Paperback)

Somewhere under the Atlantic, a Soviet sub commander has just made a fateful decision: the Red October is heading west. The Americans want her. The Russians want her back. And the most incredible chase in history is on....

The Hunt for Red October is the runaway bestseller that launched Tom Clancy's phenomenal career. A military thriller so accurate and convincing that the author was rumored to have been debriefed by the White House. Its theme: the greatest espionage coup in history. Its story: the chase for a runaway top secret Russian missile sub.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

A soviet sub commander makes a decision and heads west; what ensues is a tale of intrigue and excitement as the Americans try to get to the sub and the Russians try to get her back.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible