The Hunt for Red October (87600/Eleven Audio…

The Hunt for Red October (87600/Eleven Audio Cassettes) (original 1984; edition 1988)

by Tom Clancy

Member:Bookmarque
Title:The Hunt for Red October (87600/Eleven Audio Cassettes)
Authors:Tom Clancy
Info:Recorded Books (1988), Edition: Unabridged, Audio Cassette
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:filmed, have movie

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy (1984)

English (80)  Dutch (3)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (86)
Excerpts from my original GR review (Jun 2009; read it c. 1986):
- One of those books of which my copy is long gone. Think I read this soon after it went paperback. Didn't get on the Clancy roll like so many, but definitely was immersed in the story. Who woulda thunk: the Wall came tumbling down just a few years after this Cold War thriller. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | Sep 5, 2018 |
Whoa! 😲
A Soviet ballistic missile submarine captain gone rogue; The first appearance of the infamous Jack Ryan... Holy flying missiles Batman!
In the midst of the Cold War, Marko Ramius and his crew of hand-picked officers plan to defect to the United States with the Soviet's top of the line submarine model that harbors the new caterpillar drive, a sonar cloaking device that allows the submarine the element of surprise when attacking.
tensions between the Soviets in the United States rise as Jack Ryan is left to figure out the riddle of The Red October. Can Ryan work out the contingency plans before the missiles start to fly?
Holy moly there is a lot of dialogue in this book. I feel like this book is nearly 90% or more dialogue. Which in my opinion gives a little bit greater depth to the characters but also does not leave a lot of room for detail of goings-on. this book is a little difficult to follow but I think that's just because of all the navel and Submariner jargon used. While it does give it the feel that a type of book like this needs to, it also makes it a bit difficult for the layman to understand.
Although I did enjoy this book I also found myself rereading sections in order to make sure I comprehended what was going on in the plot. I don't like having to do that with books. I appreciate a more straightforward approach in writing.
This was my first Tom Clancy book and rightfully so as it was his debut novel and the first appearance of his famous Jack Ryan character.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys military operation reads or submariner reads. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Aug 24, 2018 |
I actually would have given this book 3.5 stars if possible. The story line was very intriguing and I enjoyed how it ended, especially how Tom Clancy wrapped up everything. The reason I didn’t give it 5 stars would be because I thought there were a lot of technical details that sometimes confused me where I was not 100% sure of what was happening.

I would definitely recommend the book for any naval, military, or history buff. I feel if you normally read this genre of book, you would have a better understanding of the very technical jargon used for some of the action scenes. However, I still got the gist of the plot so it would be an entertaining read for anyone. It makes me interested to read the other books in the Jack Ryan series. ( )
  mindyvail | Jun 24, 2018 |
Read it while I was in high school. Probably the first political thriller I'd ever read. Now the genre is one of my favorites :) ( )
  Adam_Z | Mar 19, 2018 |
A very strong, believable story. ( )
  DCavin | Jun 13, 2017 |

Tom Clancyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pilone Colombo, GianniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Véron, MarianneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ralph Chatham,
a sub driver who spoke the truth,
and for all the men who wear dolphins
Captain First Rank Marko Ramius of the Soviet Navy was dressed for the Arctic conditions normal to the Northern Fleet submarine base at Polyarnyy.
ISBN 0792187156 is the movie; not the book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425133516, Mass Market Paperback)

Somewhere under the Atlantic, a Soviet sub commander has just made a fateful decision: the Red October is heading west. The Americans want her. The Russians want her back. And the most incredible chase in history is on....

The Hunt for Red October is the runaway bestseller that launched Tom Clancy's phenomenal career. A military thriller so accurate and convincing that the author was rumored to have been debriefed by the White House. Its theme: the greatest espionage coup in history. Its story: the chase for a runaway top secret Russian missile sub.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

A soviet sub commander makes a decision and heads west; what ensues is a tale of intrigue and excitement as the Americans try to get to the sub and the Russians try to get her back.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,979,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible