The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

The Hunt for Red October (original 1984; edition 1988)

by Tom Clancy

Member:syrin
Title:The Hunt for Red October
Authors:Tom Clancy
Info:HarperCollins (1988), Paperback
Collections:Your library, To read (inactive)
Tags:Bought: London, Private Collection, American Literature, Thriller

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy (1984)

English (69)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (73)
What can I say, I am a Jack Ryan fan.

This was a great book, but the movie was (as usual) terrible in comparison. Clancy's books are wayyyy too long to turn into movies, I think. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
What can I say, I am a Jack Ryan fan.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
It was March, 1984 when I read a blurb in Time Magazine about a book that was all the buzz in Washington, D.C. Written by a sometime insurance salesman, it was a Cold War thriller about submarine cat and mouse in the Atlantic between the United States and the U.S.S.R.

What the "buzz" was about was the possibility that the young bureaucrat who had written the book had somehow gotten hold of classified information. Some felt the book was so detailed in its description of cutting-edge submarine technology, he had to have had inside information.

So I went down to the bookstore and bought what must have been a second or third edition hardback of the book, and remember being truly impressed by the sheer quality of the book itself. From the dustjacket to the stitching to the sheer . . . tightness of the book, it was clear Naval Institute Press put out a fine product.

The now familiar plot goes that the Soviet Union launches a new submarine named the Red October that ostensibly, because of new cavitation technology, is inaudible to Americans, thus making it a potential game-changing "first strike" weapon. A young naval commander named Jack Ryan has a theory that the commander of the new sub might very well be planning to defect to the United States, taking his sub with him.

In terms of the book, yes, the plot intrigued me, and yes, I liked the Jack Ryan character. But what had so impressed all those folks in D.C., all those details about submarine technology, those I found a little . . . boring. Just thought it was too much, is all.

When he put out his next book, Red Storm Rising, I immediately went out and bought it in hardback, brought it on a plane, tried to get into it, and just could not suspend my disbelief that there could be ANY scenario in which the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. would ever fight a conventional, non-nuclear war. I put it down not even half-read, and never read another Clancy. Enjoyed the hell out of the movies, though.

At any rate, I hadn't at all intended to leave my thoughts on this book, or on Clancy, however hearing the news today that Tom Clancy had passed, I thought I'd jot a few things down.

And of course, it turned out Tom Clancy had no special access to classified information while writing The Hunt for Red October. He simply did his homework.

RIP, Mr. Clancy. You certainly did something right. ( )
  BrendanPMyers | Jun 23, 2014 |
First of all.

This isn't the story that was fined as The Hunt for Red October. Don't go reading this expecting to see the film playing in your head.

Second, the title is perhaps misleading. Though on second thoughts, maybe not. Not in the very last section of the book, maybe. You see, it depends on who you think should be doing the hunting. You think you know before you open the book. But it isn't them, is it?

Set in the good old pre-Berlin Wall collapse of Communism, Cold War days, this wants to be a tense, detailed, almost revelatory - if you consider how little was actually known about 'them', by 'us' thanks to the fog of misinformation and fear - tale of fugue and subterfuge, seamanship and stealth. But it isn't. Tense, that is. The film is much more so, but the book just isn't. It's too long drawn out. OK; there are some tense moments, but they're few and far between. I think if you (are old enough to have) read the book before seeing the film, you might well have thoroughly enjoyed both. Maybe you'd think the film actually improved the books dynamics and tension? You'd be right. Having seen the film before just now reading the book, I can certainly see and understand why they did what they did.

While Jack Ryan is to some extents the 'hero' of The Hunt For Red October, it's a close-run thing. There's no one who really distinguishes himself (I can't think of any female characters) here. Except perhaps the Sonar man 'Jones'. It is he who actually finds 'Red October' after all, and if you're thinking of the title from an American perspective, it gives reason to wonder why it's called 'Hunt' and not 'Following Of'. But Jones is 'just' an unlisted man and Jack Ryan is of course Clancy's once and future king. As I thought the above, it struck me that it really didn't fit that other characters praised Ryan to the skies for his contribution. That doesn't work unless you're an author grooming your main character for the future. Then the Russian skipper 'Ramius', apart from setting the whole thing going of course, and some tricky ducking and weaving at the end, also has less of a role than you would have imagined, coming to the book from Sean Connery's 'Captain Ramius' of the film. Understandably really, as you wouldn't get Sean Connery out of bed to play the book's Ramius, that's for sure. Not enough to do. Unless the money was (Scottish) tax-free, I guess.

In fact, I would say the book is more of an ensemble piece. And all the better for that. The main star, rather obviously, is Clancy himself. Not so much for writing the thing, but for the obvious enormous amount of research into all things submarine and naval - on both sides of the Iron Curtain - he clearly did. Just and astounding piece of work when you begin to realise it.

With the book, the good stuff happens after Ramius has actually handed over the Red October. That can hardly be described as a spoiler, as the cover on the (first edition?) paperback I have (plundered from the library of a deceased family friend) has; 'Russia's most advanced missile submarine. Brand new...undetectable...and heading straight for the U.S. - TO DEFECT!' Well really, as the really tense, exciting stuff happens after the Russians have in effect defected, with that give-away, you can pretty much skip the first 300 pages I'd say. It is only after that, that the actual 'Hunt' for Red October begins. But you can see why they changed the story structure for the film, especially moving the final phase from post- to pre-defection, as it were.

To be honest, when you think about it; it is hard to criticize or evaluate effectively really. As I can't think now how much work I myself was doing in the imagining of the characters - of Ryan and Ramius especially - and how much I was using the film's/Alec Baldwin and Sean Connery's portrayal (though as Harrison Ford played Jack Ryan subsequently and more often, his face and mannerisms kept appearing in my head). The film director's ideas, as opposed to how good, or how vivid Tom Clancy's book's characterisations were. A bit unfair on Clancy really.

In short, an interesting curio, if you've seen the film. A kind of verbal equivalent to the 'behind the scenes' extras that come with DVD/Blu Rays these days. An interesting exploration of Cold War secrecy and politics if you grew up around the time of the fall of the Berlin Wall - and all in all, probably a more interesting read if you haven't seen the filmed version. ( )
  Speesh | Mar 29, 2014 |
This book is quite a bit outside my normal preferred genre, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. ( )
  RhiannonAgnes | Mar 9, 2014 |
For Ralph Chatham,
a sub driver who spoke the truth,
and for all the men who wear dolphins
Captain First Rank Marko Ramius of the Soviet Navy was dressed for the Arctic conditions normal to the Northern Fleet submarine base at Polyarnyy

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425133516, Mass Market Paperback)

Somewhere under the Atlantic, a Soviet sub commander has just made a fateful decision: the Red October is heading west. The Americans want her. The Russians want her back. And the most incredible chase in history is on....

The Hunt for Red October is the runaway bestseller that launched Tom Clancy's phenomenal career. A military thriller so accurate and convincing that the author was rumored to have been debriefed by the White House. Its theme: the greatest espionage coup in history. Its story: the chase for a runaway top secret Russian missile sub.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:53 -0400)

A soviet sub commander makes a decision and heads west; what ensues is a tale of intrigue and excitement as the Americans try to get to the sub and the Russians try to get her back.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,635,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible