The Hunt for Red October (Special 15th…

The Hunt for Red October (Special 15th Anniversary Edition) (original 1984; edition 1999)

by Tom Clancy

Member:DrLed
Title:The Hunt for Red October (Special 15th Anniversary Edition)
Authors:Tom Clancy
Info:Berkley Trade (1999), Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Mystery-Crime

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy (1984)

Recently added bynielsnej, LizHD, jclyne, Vasher, private library, chiarain, Templer1216, JDR82, pastor_jac, kintonk

English (69)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (73)
A gripping thriller ( )
  durgaprsd04 | Feb 25, 2015 |
I tired of the fact that every single character in the book, no matter how minor a player, was a genius in his field or at the top of his class, etc. And I don't believe there was a single female character, except Jack Ryan's wife was mentioned, but she was never heard from, that I recall. Not a very balanced novel. The hunt that comprised the last 20% of the book was very skillfully done, and very exciting, however. ( )
  ko40370 | Dec 13, 2014 |
What can I say, I am a Jack Ryan fan.

This was a great book, but the movie was (as usual) terrible in comparison. Clancy's books are wayyyy too long to turn into movies, I think. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
What can I say, I am a Jack Ryan fan.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
It was March, 1984 when I read a blurb in Time Magazine about a book that was all the buzz in Washington, D.C. Written by a sometime insurance salesman, it was a Cold War thriller about submarine cat and mouse in the Atlantic between the United States and the U.S.S.R.

What the "buzz" was about was the possibility that the young bureaucrat who had written the book had somehow gotten hold of classified information. Some felt the book was so detailed in its description of cutting-edge submarine technology, he had to have had inside information.

So I went down to the bookstore and bought what must have been a second or third edition hardback of the book, and remember being truly impressed by the sheer quality of the book itself. From the dustjacket to the stitching to the sheer . . . tightness of the book, it was clear Naval Institute Press put out a fine product.

The now familiar plot goes that the Soviet Union launches a new submarine named the Red October that ostensibly, because of new cavitation technology, is inaudible to Americans, thus making it a potential game-changing "first strike" weapon. A young naval commander named Jack Ryan has a theory that the commander of the new sub might very well be planning to defect to the United States, taking his sub with him.

In terms of the book, yes, the plot intrigued me, and yes, I liked the Jack Ryan character. But what had so impressed all those folks in D.C., all those details about submarine technology, those I found a little . . . boring. Just thought it was too much, is all.

When he put out his next book, Red Storm Rising, I immediately went out and bought it in hardback, brought it on a plane, tried to get into it, and just could not suspend my disbelief that there could be ANY scenario in which the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. would ever fight a conventional, non-nuclear war. I put it down not even half-read, and never read another Clancy. Enjoyed the hell out of the movies, though.

At any rate, I hadn't at all intended to leave my thoughts on this book, or on Clancy, however hearing the news today that Tom Clancy had passed, I thought I'd jot a few things down.

And of course, it turned out Tom Clancy had no special access to classified information while writing The Hunt for Red October. He simply did his homework.

RIP, Mr. Clancy. You certainly did something right. ( )
1 vote BrendanPMyers | Jun 23, 2014 |
For Ralph Chatham,
a sub driver who spoke the truth,
and for all the men who wear dolphins
Captain First Rank Marko Ramius of the Soviet Navy was dressed for the Arctic conditions normal to the Northern Fleet submarine base at Polyarnyy

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425133516, Mass Market Paperback)

Somewhere under the Atlantic, a Soviet sub commander has just made a fateful decision: the Red October is heading west. The Americans want her. The Russians want her back. And the most incredible chase in history is on....

The Hunt for Red October is the runaway bestseller that launched Tom Clancy's phenomenal career. A military thriller so accurate and convincing that the author was rumored to have been debriefed by the White House. Its theme: the greatest espionage coup in history. Its story: the chase for a runaway top secret Russian missile sub.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:53 -0400)

A soviet sub commander makes a decision and heads west; what ensues is a tale of intrigue and excitement as the Americans try to get to the sub and the Russians try to get her back.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,138,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible