Red storm rising by Tom Clancy

Red storm rising (original 1986; edition 1986)

by Tom Clancy

Member:intathin
Title:Red storm rising
Authors:Tom Clancy
Info:New York : Putnam, c1986.
Rating:***1/2

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy (1986)

Recently added bybobtlibrary, lambchop_i, robertcha1, michael.d.dillon, private library, glyter, Chillbro, Nattut
    Red Army by Ralph Peters (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Published in the same period as "Red Storm Rising", "Red Army" depicts a Warsaw Pact invasion of Western Germany seen entirely from the viewpoint of the Soviet soldiers. A riveting and insightful story written by an US Intelligence officer.

English (40)  Spanish (1)  All languages (41)
A chillingly plausible scenario for WWIII. And I agree with him: WWIII will have no nukes. ( )
  KirkLowery | Mar 4, 2014 |
Once again Tom has done a great job. The format allows one to keep in the book from all angles. He brings out what might have happened during the cold war. Tom's research pays off as he has all the correct military equipment and such doing the right job. He keeps the story up front and personal. ( )
  beslagsmed | Jan 4, 2014 |
I finished my second Tom Clancy novel in three weeks. And I've become a fan.

I enjoyed "Red Storm Rising" more than "Clear and Present Danger". "Red Storm Rising" was Clancy's second novel and doesn't include either of the characters that make up much of the core of his fabulously popular high-tech military thrillers: Jack Ryan and John Clark. Clancy builds credible motives for the Russian-fueld World War III, and the plot drives all 600+ pages of this novel that bounces between perspectives of characters ranging from military leaders, to intelligence officers, to the most engaging of all, an Air Force weatherman thrust to the fore of the international battle.

I'm not a military guy and I've not read much around a modern military (though I've read my fair share of ancient Roman Legion battles), but I became hooked on Clancy's details surrounding the tactics of all branches of the military and the somewhat less fulfilling political machinations that drove the bigger picture war efforts. Clancy's mostly able to differentiate a multitude of battles, though seemed to struggle a bit with an ongoing series of submarine engagements.

There's no character depth here, and quite frankly, I was perfectly happy to let the detailed plot drive the story. "Red Storm Rising" is an exciting and engaging read. It's not great, but it's a whole lot of fun. ( )
  JGolomb | Aug 25, 2013 |
Usually I read books by Tom Clancy with great pleasure. I like the many plot lines and the fact that I have to think things through when I am reading.
These and the fact that the Gulf War is a subject of interest, are the reasons why I bought this book.

Boy, was I mistaken!! 50 pages, 100 max, I didn't get any further. It is just not for me... ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
I believe this was my least liked of the Tom Clancy books I have read - it dragged on in a few sections, and the military maneuver details were overdone to my taste. However, since it was the second one I read and the first was really good, I kept going, and was glad I did. ( )
  sriemann | Mar 29, 2013 |
Although the writing is unduly prolix, especially in its loving treatment of submarine warfare, the story is well told. The many readers of Mr. Clancy's first book will enjoy ''Red Storm Rising.'' His is an oddly comforting version of World War III.

Tom Clancyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, LarryAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bruning, FransTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From time immemorial, the purpose of a navy has been to influence, and sometimes decide, issues on land. This was so with the Greeks of antiquity; Romans, who created a navy to defeat Carthage; the Spanish, whose armada tried and failed to conquer England; and, most eminently, in the Atlantic and Pacific during two world wars. The sea has always given man in expensive transport and ease of communication over long distances. It has also provided concealment, because being over the horizon meant being out of sight and effectively beyond reach. The sea has supplied mobility, capability, and support throughout Western history, and those failing in the sea-power test -notably Alexander, Napoleon and Hitler - also failed the longevity one. - Edward L. Beach, in Keepers of the Sea
They moved swiftly, silently, with purpose, under a crystalline, star-filled night in western Siberia.
The Badger pilots were a little too relaxed, now that the most dangerous part of their mission was behind them. They didn’t spot the four American fighters until they were less than a mile away, their robin’s-egg-blue paint blending them in perfectly with the clear morning sky. Buns selected her cannon for the first pass and triggered two hundred rounds into the cockpit of a Badger. The twin –engine bomber went instantly out of control and rolled over like a dead whale. One. The major howled with delight, pulled the Eagle up into a five-g loop, then over to dive on the next target. The Soviets were alerted now, and the second Badger attempted to dive away. It had not the slightest chance. Nakamura fired her Sidewinder from a range of less than a mile and watched the missile trace all the way into the Badger’s left –side engine, and blast the wing right off the airplane. Two. Another
Badger was three miles ahead. Patience, she told herself. You have a big speed advantage. She nearly forgot that the Russian bomber had tail guns. A Soviet sergeant reminded her of it, missing, but scaring the hell out of her. The Eagle jerked in a six-g turn to the left and closed on a parallel course before turning in. the next burst from her cannon exploded the Badger in midair, and she had to dive to avoid the wreckage. The engagement lasted all of ninety seconds, and she was wringing wet with perspiration. “Butch, where are you?” “I got one! Buns, I got one!” The Eagle pulled up alongside. Nakamura looked around. Suddenly the sky was clear. Where had they all gone? “Navy Hawk-One, this is Golf, do you read, over?” “Roger, Golf.” “Okay, Navy.
We just smoked four, repeat four, Badgers for you.” “Make that five, Buns!” the other element leader called in.
Although Larry's (Bond) name does not appear on the title page, this book is as much his as mine. We never did figure out the division of labor, but what Larry and I accomplished was to complete a book as co-authors when our only contract was a handshake-and have a whole lot of fun doing it! It is for the reader to decide how successful we have been.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 042510107X, Mass Market Paperback)

Using the latest advancements in military technology, the world's superpowers battle it out on land, sea, and air for the ultimate global control. A chillingly authentic vision of modern war, Red Storm Rising is as powerful as it is ambitious. It's a story you will never forget.

Hard-hitting, suspenseful, and frighteningly real.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:20 -0400)

When Moslem fundamentalists destroy a key Soviet oil complex, the Russians initiate a plan of diplomatic trickery for their seizure of Persian Gulf oil.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,495,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible