Pirate Latitudes: A Novel by Michael…

Pirate Latitudes: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Michael Crichton

Member:hemlokgang
Title:Pirate Latitudes: A Novel
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:Harper (2009), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***
Tags:USA, Audiobook, Mystery/Suspense

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (2009)

English (118)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (122)
I'm reading this because pirates, but I will note that it still doesn't come near the shores of the POTC movies. The verdict is still out on the POTC novel though; that's next in line to read. ( )
  AnigL | Mar 23, 2015 |
2 1/2 stars for this one; my least favorite of Michael Crichton's so far. Impeccably researched as usual, but I just don't think historical fiction suits his style as well as the science fiction does. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
This book was a gift. This story is a favorite of mine and I've bought other copies for my friends. I fully recommend this book. I went through a period where I hadn't read a book for months and this book brought me back to one of my favorite places. That place where only a good book and a cup of tea can take you. I fell in love with the story and the characters. It helps when you've been to the Caribbean and seas interest you. I also am a fan of pirates. It's a fun must read. Mr. Chrichton describes his characters flawlessly. ( )
  Ahopkinsbibliomaniac | Jan 10, 2015 |
A different genre for Michael. Typically known for his technothrillers, Pirate Latitudes is a historical fiction novel. It's alright, but not what I look to Michael Crichton for. Unfortunately, there will be no more exciting science at its worst novels from him. He will be missed. ( )
  storeyonastory | Oct 12, 2014 |
A good book, but not a great book, because of course, Crichton didn't get a chance to finish it. There are parts that are very well developed, but then there are more parts that read like they didn't get past the first or second draft. However, I also felt like this provided interesting insights into the author's writing process. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
Not surprisingly, Crichton’s book is at least halfway to being a film: indeed, it is more interesting to read as an extended film treatment than as a book in its own right. It is in effect the "novelization" of an (as yet) unmade film, leaving language as the temporary incarnation of a work intended for the eye rather than the page.

Crichton’s devoted readers knew how taut and exciting his books could be and how much fascinating minutiae he could deliver. They won’t mistake “Pirate Latitudes” for one of his best. Its posthumous publication is bittersweet, and no amount of “Smart there with the jib!” talk can disguise that. The Crichton reputation and legacy are based on works far heartier than this.

It may make a dandy movie but, as a novel, it's forgettable, and then some.

When it comes to sharp, slick techno-thrillers that you can polish off on a flight to Chicago, there's never been anybody better. But a hackneyed historical novel filled with bosomy maidens and blustery old navy dialogue (''Mizzen top blown!'') is not what Crichton should be remembered for. This is one chestful of doubloons that should have been left hidden in the sand.

Sir James Almont, appointed by His Majesty Charles II Governor of Jamaica, was habitually an early riser.

The Caribbean, 1665. A remote colony of the English Crown, the island of Jamaica holds out against the vast supremacy of the Spanish empire. Port Royal, its capital, is a cutthroat town of taverns, grog shops, and bawdy houses. In this steamy climate there's a living to be made, a living that can end swiftly by disease -- or by dagger. For Captain Charles Hunter, gold in Spanish hands is gold for the taking, and the law of the land rests with those ruthless enough to make it. Word in port is that the galleon El Trinidad, fresh from New Spain, is awaiting repairs in a nearby harbor. Heavily fortified, the impregnable harbor is guarded by the bloodthirsty Cazalla, a favorite commander of the Spanish king. With backing from a powerful ally, Hunter assembles a crew of ruffians to infiltrate the enemy outpost and commandeer the ship, along with its fortune in Spanish gold. The raid is as perilous as the bloodiest tales of island legend, and Hunter will lose more than one man before he even gets to shore, where dense jungle and the firepower of Spanish infantry stand between him and the treasure.

The Caribbean, 1665. Pirate captain Charles Hunter, with backing from a powerful ally, assembles a crew of ruffians to take the Spanish galleon, "El Trinidad," guarded by the bloodthirsty Cazalla, a favorite commander of the Spanish king himself.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,184,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible