Pirate latitudes : a novel by Michael…

Pirate latitudes : a novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Michael Crichton

Member:JasperBroer
Title:Pirate latitudes : a novel
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:New York : Harper, c2009.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Adventure

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (2009)

English (134)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (138)
I had a hard time putting this down. Action packed. Exactly what you would expect from pirates. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
Set in Jamaica in 1665, Pirate Latitudes give an insight into another era far away from many of the contemporary adventure stories in my shelf. Although a broad description of the plot would be similar to many contemporary novels – good guys versus bad guys combined with a twist and several beautiful women.

How much is based on fact and how much is total fiction I don't care as it was enjoyable enough to keep me reading way past lights out. It is the type of book that I describe as a ‘page turner’.

This manuscript was, apparently, discovered after Michael Crichton died and I am thankful HarperCollins decided to publish.
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton

★★ ½

When you think of a swashbuckling adventure with pirate and treasure, do you think of the author Michael Crichton? I sure don’t. After Crichton passed away in 2009, Pirate Latitudes was found on his PC, was deemed “complete” and published. I have always been a huge fan of the author’s work and I could be wrong but I feel that this was a side project that he was having fun with that he never planned for the public to see. Some say he had been playing around with it since the 1970s. This was an ok book but not up to standards for what you would expect of a Crichton book. I had a much easier time if I pulled it away from the association of what you would expect out of this author normally.

For the most part this just felt like an unfinished book. It was fairly predictable. The normals of what could go wrong did and it all seemed fairly rushed. Details were lacking, especially in the characters. It seemed as if elements were added but not always explain fully. There was potential here but it seems like nothing more than an outline. If you are looking for classic Crichton, you won’t find it here. Disconnect yourself from that idea and it may be worth the read but even then, it’s not the most impressive work of adventure and action out there.
  UberButter | Jan 16, 2016 |
Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton

★★ ½

UberButter | Jan 16, 2016 |
Micheal Crichton's last novel, Pirate Latitudes, is a fun, easy to read adventure set in the Caribbean during the late 17th century. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
Not surprisingly, Crichton’s book is at least halfway to being a film: indeed, it is more interesting to read as an extended film treatment than as a book in its own right. It is in effect the "novelization" of an (as yet) unmade film, leaving language as the temporary incarnation of a work intended for the eye rather than the page.

Crichton’s devoted readers knew how taut and exciting his books could be and how much fascinating minutiae he could deliver. They won’t mistake “Pirate Latitudes” for one of his best. Its posthumous publication is bittersweet, and no amount of “Smart there with the jib!” talk can disguise that. The Crichton reputation and legacy are based on works far heartier than this.

It may make a dandy movie but, as a novel, it's forgettable, and then some.

When it comes to sharp, slick techno-thrillers that you can polish off on a flight to Chicago, there's never been anybody better. But a hackneyed historical novel filled with bosomy maidens and blustery old navy dialogue (''Mizzen top blown!'') is not what Crichton should be remembered for. This is one chestful of doubloons that should have been left hidden in the sand.

Sir James Almont, appointed by His Majesty Charles II Governor of Jamaica, was habitually an early riser.

The Caribbean, 1665. A remote colony of the English Crown, the island of Jamaica holds out against the vast supremacy of the Spanish empire. Port Royal, its capital, is a cutthroat town of taverns, grog shops, and bawdy houses. In this steamy climate there's a living to be made, a living that can end swiftly by disease -- or by dagger. For Captain Charles Hunter, gold in Spanish hands is gold for the taking, and the law of the land rests with those ruthless enough to make it. Word in port is that the galleon El Trinidad, fresh from New Spain, is awaiting repairs in a nearby harbor. Heavily fortified, the impregnable harbor is guarded by the bloodthirsty Cazalla, a favorite commander of the Spanish king. With backing from a powerful ally, Hunter assembles a crew of ruffians to infiltrate the enemy outpost and commandeer the ship, along with its fortune in Spanish gold. The raid is as perilous as the bloodiest tales of island legend, and Hunter will lose more than one man before he even gets to shore, where dense jungle and the firepower of Spanish infantry stand between him and the treasure.

The Caribbean, 1665. Pirate captain Charles Hunter, with backing from a powerful ally, assembles a crew of ruffians to take the Spanish galleon, "El Trinidad," guarded by the bloodthirsty Cazalla, a favorite commander of the Spanish king himself.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,125,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible