Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton

Pirate Latitudes (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Michael Crichton

Member:delucalibrary
Title:Pirate Latitudes
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:Harper Collins Publishers (2009), Paperback

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (2009)

Recently added byZakMcGaha, private library, AryelWeasley, cjsdg, Dagwood15, Nicole121310, RRothKNY, swiftdoe

English (150)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (154)
This was the first Michael Crichton novel I've ever read and I was really surprised in some ways with how much I enjoyed it. It had a bit of a feel of 'Pirates of the Caribbean' in a way. I love the swashbuckling and the overall adventure of the story. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
I kind of can't believe I finished this one. It was very cliché. I felt like I was reading someone describing a pirate movie. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
Decent story about privateers and sea battles, based in Jamaica but moving around a little. Makes me want to read about Henry Morgan sacking Panama.

Definitely a beach read ( )
  delta351 | Mar 17, 2018 |
Lacked the usual characteristics that make Crichton books interesting to read. The story is very straightforward and simple. At times I felt like the plot was rushed because it lacked details which could have made the story richer.

Not the best last book to be rememberd by but it could have been worse. ( )
  aychayen | Jan 7, 2018 |
I don't generally expect Michael Crichton's books to remind me of Horatio Hornblower's adventures, but this book is very much in that vein, only without all the sappy pseudo-romance that Hornblower books are riddled with after a while. The ending felt a bit rushed, but considering that this book was found in his files after his death and published posthumously, perhaps this is simply the unpolished version of a resolution that might under better circumstances have been more fully fleshed out. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Not surprisingly, Crichton’s book is at least halfway to being a film: indeed, it is more interesting to read as an extended film treatment than as a book in its own right. It is in effect the "novelization" of an (as yet) unmade film, leaving language as the temporary incarnation of a work intended for the eye rather than the page.

Crichton’s devoted readers knew how taut and exciting his books could be and how much fascinating minutiae he could deliver. They won’t mistake “Pirate Latitudes” for one of his best. Its posthumous publication is bittersweet, and no amount of “Smart there with the jib!” talk can disguise that. The Crichton reputation and legacy are based on works far heartier than this.

It may make a dandy movie but, as a novel, it's forgettable, and then some.

When it comes to sharp, slick techno-thrillers that you can polish off on a flight to Chicago, there's never been anybody better. But a hackneyed historical novel filled with bosomy maidens and blustery old navy dialogue (''Mizzen top blown!'') is not what Crichton should be remembered for. This is one chestful of doubloons that should have been left hidden in the sand.

Sir James Almont, appointed by His Majesty Charles II Governor of Jamaica, was habitually an early riser.
The woman obviously thought he was a barbarian—or, worse, a Puritan. He smiled in the darkness at the thought. In fact, Hunter was an educated man.

The Caribbean, 1665. A remote colony of the English Crown, the island of Jamaica holds out against the vast supremacy of the Spanish empire. Port Royal, its capital, is a cutthroat town of taverns, grog shops, and bawdy houses. In this steamy climate there's a living to be made, a living that can end swiftly by disease -- or by dagger. For Captain Charles Hunter, gold in Spanish hands is gold for the taking, and the law of the land rests with those ruthless enough to make it. Word in port is that the galleon El Trinidad, fresh from New Spain, is awaiting repairs in a nearby harbor. Heavily fortified, the impregnable harbor is guarded by the bloodthirsty Cazalla, a favorite commander of the Spanish king. With backing from a powerful ally, Hunter assembles a crew of ruffians to infiltrate the enemy outpost and commandeer the ship, along with its fortune in Spanish gold. The raid is as perilous as the bloodiest tales of island legend, and Hunter will lose more than one man before he even gets to shore, where dense jungle and the firepower of Spanish infantry stand between him and the treasure.

The Caribbean, 1665. Pirate captain Charles Hunter, with backing from a powerful ally, assembles a crew of ruffians to take the Spanish galleon, "El Trinidad," guarded by the bloodthirsty Cazalla, a favorite commander of the Spanish king himself.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,849,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible