Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy

Rainbow Six (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Tom Clancy

Member:tututhefirst
Title:Rainbow Six
Authors:Tom Clancy
Info:Putnam Adult (1998), Hardcover, 752 pages
Collections:Your library, RJ Books
Tags:fiction

Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy (1998)

Black Wind by Clive Cussler (Hedgepeth)
    Hedgepeth: A mutated disease is about to be loosed to cause an epidemic...

English (41)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (44)
People either love or hate Clancy. I am in the former group. His books border close to hardcore science fiction in that everything he writes on - the plot, every device, the politics, capabilities and motivations, is within the realm of the possible. Just as he anticipated 9/11 (some may argue, inspired) and stealth machines in this book he anticipates (1998) a rise in non-nation sponsored terrorism and the ease in which fringe groups can cause outsize results as well as increased emphasis on special forces units to contain them.

This story focuses on 2 minor characters from the earlier Jack Ryan novels, John Clark and Domingo Chavez. They are working to stand up a new multinational counterterrorism unit with the support of the intel, military, and police forces of many nations. In it's infancy, it must fight an usually large number of seemingly isolated terrorist incidents that test the new unit's skill while an even greater danger lurks in the shadows.

His writing is easy to follow and flows quickly. As a measure, I took almost 2 wks to read Churchill's The River War, clocking in at just under 400 pages. This 900 pg novel took me roughly 3 days - maybe 9-11 hrs.

There are no obvious typos and editing is solid. There seems to be a minor continuity issue: characters seem to switch from Team -1 to Team -2 and back. I didn't follow that up, but it could be made clearer. Is Oso Vega on 1 or 2 and if he's on 2, it doesn't add up to a 10 man team by the initial roster. His team and that of another guy seem to change throughout the story. In any case most people won't notice as these are tertiary characters at best. ( )
  Hae-Yu | Jul 20, 2017 |
I hadn't read a Tom Clancy book in a long time...and I see now that I haven't been missing too much. The story is, as advertised,...a "thriller", but there are simply too many pages! I forced my self to slog through all 895 pages! Lots of miscellaneous characters and tones of over-extended descriptive passages. Overall, it was just "OK". Maybe I'll try another Clancy book, but not for a while! ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Apr 2, 2017 |
I could not stand this book -- did not even make it halfway. I got completely stopped by an appalling disregard for human life (too many people measuring success by the number of body bags required), inconsistent levels of detail, and things not thought through fully. I was given this book when I was a teenager but never got very far, so I thought to give it a second chance... Mistake! ( )
  dewbertb | Feb 7, 2016 |
Typical Clancy book - good story foundation -- slow start--flash finish. This book claims to be a Jack Ryan series, but Ryan is only an off-stage presence. Clancy's most shocking story ever - closer to reality than any government would care to admit. Clancy loves words and I'm glad that I read the condensed version. ( )
  buffalogr | Jul 31, 2015 |
Over the course of nine novels, Tom Clancy's "genius for big, compelling plots" and his "natural narrative gift" (The New York Times Magazine) have established him as one of the preeminent storytellers of our time. In his new and most extraordinary novel, Rainbow Six, Clancy goes beyond anything he has done before. ( )
  Tutter | Feb 26, 2015 |

Tom Clancyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ratzkin,LawrenceCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There are no compacts between lions and men, and wolves and lambs have no concord. -Homer
For Alexandra Maria lux mea mundi
John Clark had more time in airplanes than most licensed pilots, and he knew the statistics as well as any of them, but he still didn't like the idea of crossing the ocean on a twin-engine airliner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425170349, Mass Market Paperback)

For many readers, Jack Ryan embodies the essence of the modern American hero. Morally centered, disciplined, humble yet powerful, Ryan (and his onscreen incarnations in Alec Baldwin and Harrison Ford) has made Tom Clancy one of the most popular writers in the world. But as Clancy has constructed the Ryan mythology, he has quietly established Ryan's shadow double, John Clark. Appearing in The Cardinal of the Kremlin, Clear and Present Danger, and Without Remorse, Clark has many of Jack Ryan's most appealing traits, but he is also a darker figure embodying the more paranoid sensibilities of the late '90s. As is made clear from the opening pages of Rainbow Six, ex-Navy SEAL Clark and his colleagues believe violent, deadly force to be the best deterrent for terrorism.

Clark (a.k.a. Rainbow Six) has left the CIA to create an England-based organization code-named "Rainbow." Its mission: deploy an elite squad of American operatives combined with handpicked British, French, and German agents to stop terrorism in its tracks. Rainbow's emergence could not be more timely: in quick succession, the force diffuses three attempted terrorist actions. But Clark becomes suspicious when Russian agents suddenly show interest in Rainbow's work.

Rainbow Six appeals on all the levels that Clancy fans could hope for. The Rainbow operatives, from Navy SEALs to German mountain-leader school graduates, are rendered to inspire with their physical and mental prowess. The book is infatuated with the latest gadgets for scrambling, transmitting, and decoding secrets. And, in a carefully woven narrative that simultaneously traces the Rainbow team, a former KGB agent named Popov, the Australian Olympic security team, and a sinister group of American scientists, Clancy artfully reveals the mystery of "Shiva" at the center of the novel. How does Clark measure up against Jack Ryan? He may be the perfect hero for a world with hidden villains. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:52 -0400)

John Clark is the man who conducts the secret missions President Ryan can have no part of. This time, the mission involves a group of terrorists the world has never encountered before, a band of men and women so extreme that their success could literally mean the end of life as we know it. A John Clark thriller.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,093,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible