Executive Orders by Tom Clancy

Executive Orders (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Tom Clancy

Title:Executive Orders
Authors:Tom Clancy
Info:Putnam (1996), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 874 pages

Executive Orders by Tom Clancy (1996)

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy (gauls)
    gauls: its action adventure everything also

English (26)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
My first Clancy. I really enjoyed the book, though it took me over a month to read. The last 10% of the book seemed to drag a bit as it got into the 'war' which for me would have been better had it been 20 pages, not 80. I'm sure I will read another Clancy book, but not for a while as this 464,000 word book was a tough read. ( )
  DCavin | Aug 4, 2015 |
The abridged version was a quick listen, providing the meat of the story without some of the very long stretches of boredom reported by others reading this 1300+ page book.Technology was dated somewhat since it was written nearly 20 years ago--noted but not distracting. It was well researched, as Clancy always does and includes a mix of national and tactical views. I especially enjoyed Ryan's first speech where he said that he did not want politicians...realistic? Maybe? The Iranian sponsored biologic attack is something that was developed with interesting effects, probably not horrific enough. DC and international. Iran inspired bio attack. The tactical movements of Army units around Southwest Asia during the last hour was pretty boring. Glad I listened to the abridged version...good story! ( )
  buffalogr | Apr 23, 2015 |
4 stars from when I was 36, and 2.5 stars now that I'm older.

Starting with Red Storm Rising (1986), I used to buy every new Clancy novel in hardcover the day it came out. Back then, I was all about the storytelling, and when Clancy was on his game, there wasn't anybody better. He created an entirely new genre--the technothriller--and his sprawling, multiple-perspective stories were entirely satisfying and even educational.

Clancy always was an unapologetic conservative Republican, which, OK, I can deal. But right about the time he and his first wife separated and then divorced (1995-1999), a strain of misogyny started creeping into his books. Without Remorse (1993) was outright obscene, in fact--lovingly describing the sexual torture of one of the characters. That's when I started getting leery of Clancy.

So, with that backstory, on to Executive Orders, the second book to come out after Without Remorse and the eighth book to star Jack Ryan. By now, Ryan has become President, after a major terrorist attack on Washington, and he's fighting battles on several fronts: political, personal, the media, etc. At the same time, forces are gathering to destroy the U.S. once and for all, using multiple forms of attack. It's a race to the finish to see whether Ryan can set up a functioning government and unravel the conspiracy before other disasters strike.

The story is told from multiple perspectives, as usual. The best sections involve Clark and Chavez, the biological weapon development and its effects, the military strategies, and the political maneuvering. But it's WAY too long--it could have been cut by a third without losing anything. Jack's wife, Cathy, shines when she's in her medical role, but she's been reduced to a simpering fool at all other times. In fact, all of the women in the story are reduced to their reproductive function in the end--if they're childless, they always wanted to have them, for example. Blech. I didn't really notice how Neanderthal Clancy was when I was younger, but now that I've been around the block a few times, it's everywhere...in several places, I just kept flipping pages. It's still a satisfying story, but the signal-to-noise ratio was really low in this one.

This was the last semi-decent Clancy novel--the ones that came out afterward, in my opinion, aren't worth the effort to wade through the bloviating. It's too bad, too, because the Ryans, Clark, Chavez, Holtzmann, etc. were great characters for so long. ( )
  Pat_F. | Jul 25, 2014 |
sinking further into right wing sci fi fantasy ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
Executive Orders follows in the series of what was easily the worst Jack Ryan novel written, so my expectations were a bit tempered prior to reading this novel. After a suicide plane bomber (from Japan no less) kills off two thirds of the US government, Jack Ryan is the president by default. Now he has to deal with an Iranian terrorist group trying to manufacture and spread the ebola virus while trying to get the country's government back in order. Since most of congress and the senate were killed off in the previous novel, a whole new group of legislatures must be elected, and Ryan urges for citizen politicians, just like in the good old days of this country. Sometimes it's hard to get past some of the silliness in Clancy's novel, but the plot in this case is pretty solid, much improved from the last novel. Jack Ryan is often complaining about the politics of being the president, and is better cast as a CIA agent, but it was still fun to see him in this new role. Clancy's novels are never great, but they usually are pretty good, as is the case in Executive Orders. If you have read other novels in the series, you will want to read this one as well.
Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Jul 23, 2013 |
Ich bete zum Himmel, daß er den besten aller Segen herabsenden möge
auf dieses Haus und auf alle, die es fürderhin bewohnen.
Mögen stets nur ehrliche und weise Männer unter diesem Dach regieren.

John Adams, zweiter Präsident der Vereinigten Staaten,
Brief an Abigail, 2. November 1800
anläßlich seines Einzuges ins White House
Für Ronald Wilson Reagan, vierzigster Präsident der Vereinigten Staaten: der Mann, der den Krieg gewann
Es lag wohl am momentanen Schock, dachte Ryan.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425158632, Mass Market Paperback)

Tom Clancy goes to the White House in this thriller of political terror and global disaster. The American political situation takes a disturbing turn as the President, Congress, and Supreme Court are obliterated when a Japanese terrorist lands a 747 on the Capitol. Meanwhile the Iranians are unleashing an Ebola virus threat on the country. Jack Ryan, CIA agent, is cast in the middle of this maelstrom. Because of a recent sex scandal, Ryan was appointed vice president, a slot he doesn't hold for long when he lands in the Chief Executive's chair. He goes after the Iranians and then tries to piece together the country and his life the only way he knows how--with a fury that we've grown accustomed to in Clancy's intricate, detailed, and accurate stories of warfare and intrigue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:53 -0400)

After an airliner crashes into the Capitol, killing the president, Jack Ryan, the vice-president takes over. The novel describes Ryan's campaign to impose a right-wing morality on the U.S. and a new order on the world, the latter accomplished with the aid of high-tech warfare. A sequel to Debt of Honor. Jack Ryan becomes president by sheer accident when the former president, most of Congress, the Cabinet and the Supreme Court are bombed out of existence. Ryan must jump in to discover who did it, all the while contending with the threat of military takeover and covert biological warfare.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,810,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible