Patriot Games by Tom Clancy

English (35)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (38)
I have started to read this book mainly because after I played a couple of games that take Tom Clancy's name, I became interested to know what sort of stories he told in his books. After doing a bit of research on the main themes, the focus on the Cold War, secret services and military themes sounded very promising. I mean, if dozens of games and movies based on Tom Clancy's books were released, one would suppose that they did have something to catch your interest, no?
Unfortunately, I think that I expected too much from his older book and Patriot Games ended up not captivating me very much. Maybe I was expecting something more thrilling and a better elaborated plot, but it really, really, felt like watching cliché action movies with several moments of tedious nothingness. I mean, literally, during more than half of the book, absolutely NOTHING happens. And it really saddened me, because the first, say, 20 pages of the book were absolutely awesome, with a lot of action. It was naive of me to think that this rhythm was going to be kept through the more than 500 pages of the book. Of course, Patriot Games does have its share of frenetic action, but the interval between them is so long that the investigation parts didn't really hold my interest for too long. After a while, I started to think that the good parts of the book were actually the romantic scenes between Jack and Cathy.
There are tons of characters in the book and I find it amazing that pretty much all of them have a military background. Okay, Jack was once a Mariner, it should be kinda obvious that most of his contacts had a common background. But if you look carefully, there is not a single character in the book (besides the women) who doesn't have a military background, and the "coincidences" really bothered me.
The same goes for the multiple-view narrative. Clancy wanted to show both sides of the coin, but in the end, the villains were essentially evil people while all the other characters were support-good guys who praised Jack Ryan for his brave efforts in every single page. It was either this or Jack stating that "no, I'm nothing. You're the one who's awesome".

I still want to give a second chance for other Tom Clancy's books. Maybe it's just the fact that this is one of the first books he ever wrote. I want to believe that his writing skills improved as time went by. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
After reading & thoroughly enjoying Without Remorse I was looking forward to another immersive chapter in the Clark/Ryan series. Unfortunately I just couldn't seem to get into this one, the first 350 pages were tedious and just couldn't seem to hold my interest - finally about two thirds of the way through the plot lines come together and it picks up a bit, but still when over half the novel is dull it's hard to say it's a good book, or anything more than okay really.

Detailed, well written, good subject knowledge, well researched, unique plot - yes. However it just didn't pull them all together into an enthralling story. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Mar 30, 2013 |
Patriot Games is a roller coaster of a book. There are twists and turns at every turn of the page and events build up to create very dramatic drops every so often in the book until the very end. The characters seem real and will make you want to know each of their life stories. The book is James Bond meets Robert Langdon. Patriot Games will grab your attention from the very begging and not let go until the very end.

The story starts off in London. The protagonist of the story, Jack Ryan, is visiting with his family, Cathy and Sally. There, he helps save some people from dangerous gunman and the story begins to take a turn for the worst for Jack and his family. The story deals will international terrorists and multiple intelligence agencies from around the world.

As in his other books, Tom Clancy tells the story from multiple perspectives. Each one is going on almost simultaneously with the others, giving the reader different perspectives on each situation. Sometimes, some small hint is hinted during another character's perspective that directly affects another character, building up the tension when you may be guessing at what exactly may happen. Each person is brought out with wonderful detail. Everyone has their own personality, their own character, and their own reactions to the same problem. The details you see when Jack works at all his jobs is astounding. You really feel like you've become someone who was there with him, even though some of the places are very secretive in the real world.

Patriot Games is one crazy ride of a book. You'll be flying across oceans and continents to get to each of the different events throughout the story. Some small details in the story will have much greater impacts later on that you may never imagine. Tom Clancy did a wonderful job providing small hints and teasers throughout the book, making you guess at every little mystery or problem each character faces. You'll find yourself tied with the characters and what they go through. Patriot Games is a wonderful book that everyone should take the time to read. ( )
  Plyte | Aug 19, 2012 |
The first I ever heard of Patriots Games was the movie from my brother. Upon seeing the movie, I knew immediatly that I had to read the book. The first few pages of the book yielded multiple reasons to read on. From my previous books, one can infer that I enjoy Action Novels. After the main character, Jack Ryan, foils a PIRA (Provisional Irish Republican Army) assassination attempt on the Prince of Wales and his family, PIRA finds a new target, the man who ruined their best assassination attempt on the prince.

Tom Clancy has outdone himself this time. Patriot Games is a fast-paced book, keeping the dialogueand suspense incredibly smooth the whole time. Some pages give you easy insight so as not to frustrate the reader, while others combine the perfect amount of excitement and wonder, leaving the answer just out of reach. When everything comes together in the end, it's breathtaking, watching the action that has been building throughout the whole book finally unfold. However, there are some big gaps in the action that are necessary for explanatory purposes, but slow down the pace completely. All things accounted for, Patriot Games has been one of the more pleasurable books I've ever read, Shooting four and-a-half stars out of five.
1 vote ctmskyde | Dec 1, 2011 |
JACK RYAN
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
Een jong gezin wordt het onontkoombaar doelwit van meedogenloze terroristen.
FOR WANDA
Ryan was nearly killed twice in half an hour.
Als verdorven lieden hun krachten bundelen , moeten goede mensen zich verenigen; anders zullen zij één voor één ten onder gaan, als naamloze slachtoffers in een verwerpelijke strijd. (Edmund Burke).
Im Polnischen auch unter dem Titel "Czas Patriotów" (Stunde der Patrioten) veröffentlicht.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425109720, Mass Market Paperback)

The bestselling author of Red Storm Rising and The Sum of All Fears brings Jack Ryan back in his to fight his deadliest battle yet.

From England to Ireland to America, an explosive wave of violence sweeps a CIA analyst and his family into the deadliest game of our time: international terrorism. An ultra-left-wing faction fo the IRA has targeted the CIA man for his act of salvation in an assasination attempt. And now he must pay ... with his life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:51 -0400)

Jack Ryan, historian, ex-Marine, and CIA analyst, summons all his skills and knowledge to battle against international terrorism.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,370,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible