Patriot Games by Tom Clancy

Patriot Games (1998)

by Tom Clancy

Series: Jack Ryan Pub Order (2), Jack Ryan Chron Order (2)

English (38)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All (41)
Read this a while ago. Not as good as [b:The Hunt For Red October|19691|The Hunt for Red October (Special 15th Anniversary Edition)|Tom Clancy|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167276898s/19691.jpg|1112006] (Clancy's best), but much better than some of his other ones that take WAY too long to build up to the action. ( )
  writertomg | Sep 6, 2017 |
This is the only Clancy book that I really like, enough so that I've read it twice in highschool, once in college and once in adult" life :)
Probably a "once a decade" kind of book for me.

The world has certainly changed since this book was written. Is Ireland still dealing with the North/South/England issue? I don't even know! If it is, it has been overshadowed by the likes of 9/11, Iraq, Iran and the Arab spring.

And airport security. And cell phones. What a difference the internet and cellphones would have made to this story. This was a cool story and a good reminder of what the security world "used to be" like..." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
In this case I don't mind reading the book after I've seen the movie. It was like having both at the same time. Usually I have my own movie, but now I had Harrison Ford running around in my head 😀 ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Feb 13, 2016 |
Amer saves Prince + Princess + kids + then target himself

From England to Ireland to America, an explosive wave of violence sweeps a CIA analyst and his family into the deadliest game of our time: international terrorism. An ultra-left-wing faction of the IRA has targeted the CIA man for his act of salvation in an assasination attempt. And now he must pay ... with his life.
  christinejoseph | Feb 5, 2016 |
I have started to read this book mainly because after I played a couple of games that take Tom Clancy's name, I became interested to know what sort of stories he told in his books. After doing a bit of research on the main themes, the focus on the Cold War, secret services and military themes sounded very promising. I mean, if dozens of games and movies based on Tom Clancy's books were released, one would suppose that they did have something to catch your interest, no?
Unfortunately, I think that I expected too much from his older book and Patriot Games ended up not captivating me very much. Maybe I was expecting something more thrilling and a better elaborated plot, but it really, really, felt like watching cliché action movies with several moments of tedious nothingness. I mean, literally, during more than half of the book, absolutely NOTHING happens. And it really saddened me, because the first, say, 20 pages of the book were absolutely awesome, with a lot of action. It was naive of me to think that this rhythm was going to be kept through the more than 500 pages of the book. Of course, Patriot Games does have its share of frenetic action, but the interval between them is so long that the investigation parts didn't really hold my interest for too long. After a while, I started to think that the good parts of the book were actually the romantic scenes between Jack and Cathy.
There are tons of characters in the book and I find it amazing that pretty much all of them have a military background. Okay, Jack was once a Mariner, it should be kinda obvious that most of his contacts had a common background. But if you look carefully, there is not a single character in the book (besides the women) who doesn't have a military background, and the "coincidences" really bothered me.
The same goes for the multiple-view narrative. Clancy wanted to show both sides of the coin, but in the end, the villains were essentially evil people while all the other characters were support-good guys who praised Jack Ryan for his brave efforts in every single page. It was either this or Jack stating that "no, I'm nothing. You're the one who's awesome".

I still want to give a second chance for other Tom Clancy's books. Maybe it's just the fact that this is one of the first books he ever wrote. I want to believe that his writing skills improved as time went by. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |

Clancy, Tomprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ratzkin, LawrenceCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, France-MarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een jong gezin wordt het onontkoombaar doelwit van meedogenloze terroristen.
FOR WANDA
Ryan was nearly killed twice in half an hour.
Als verdorven lieden hun krachten bundelen , moeten goede mensen zich verenigen; anders zullen zij één voor één ten onder gaan, als naamloze slachtoffers in een verwerpelijke strijd. (Edmund Burke).
Im Polnischen auch unter dem Titel "Czas Patriotów" (Stunde der Patrioten) veröffentlicht.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0425109720, Mass Market Paperback)

The bestselling author of Red Storm Rising and The Sum of All Fears brings Jack Ryan back in his to fight his deadliest battle yet.

From England to Ireland to America, an explosive wave of violence sweeps a CIA analyst and his family into the deadliest game of our time: international terrorism. An ultra-left-wing faction fo the IRA has targeted the CIA man for his act of salvation in an assasination attempt. And now he must pay ... with his life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

Jack Ryan, historian, ex-Marine, and CIA analyst, summons all his skills and knowledge to battle against international terrorism.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,601,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible