A princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

A princess of Mars (original 1912; edition 1963)

by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Authors:Edgar Rice Burroughs
Info:
Collections:Challenge Books, Your library, 2012 Books Read
Tags:sff

A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (1912)

Sea-Kings of Mars and Otherwordly Stories by Leigh Brackett (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Brackett was inspired by Burroughs and often does him one better.
    In the Courts of the Crimson Kings by S. M. Stirling (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: In the Courts of the Crimson Kings is an homage to Burrough's Barsoom books.
    The First Men in the Moon by H. G. Wells (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Two early 20th century works of speculation on extraterrestrial life from two of the great unfettered imaginations of English-language literature.
    Almuric by Robert E. Howard (Michael.Rimmer)
    The swordsman of Mars by Otis Adelbert Kline (Sylak)
    Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock (artturnerjr)
    Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker by George Lucas (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Anyone notice any similarities between the two?
    The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by H. P. Lovecraft (artturnerjr)

English (88)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (89)
I only hope the film can live up to it. Classic fantasy fiction. Never a dull moment. Loved it. ( )
  nwdavies | Aug 21, 2014 |
Not very good. I'll give the author a break because it was his first novel, but it lacked the quirky charm of the Tarzan books that I've read. I'll probably read the next in the series and see if I like it any better. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 13, 2014 |
A little over the top, but it's fun, and it's the original of its kind. ( )
  krista.rutherford | Aug 10, 2014 |
A fun and refreshing blast from the past, there were still some things about it that were far too fantastical even for me. It's hard to explain. Honestly, I'm not sure I'll write a full review of this one, since so many people have already expressed their views. :) ( )
  mreed61 | Aug 10, 2014 |
Saw the movie, now I seriously want to read these books.
  Musefall | Jul 28, 2014 |

Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my son Jack
Foreword

To the Reader of this Work:
In submitting Captain Carter's strange manuscript to you in book form, I believe that a few words relative to this remarkable personality will be of interest.
I am a very old man; how old I do not know.
"Was there ever such a man!"
This is the French version of "A Princess of Mars," even though the literal English translation of the French edition's title might suggest otherwise.
=============
Norman Bean is a pen name for ERB

This swashbuckling adventure on Mars isn't strictly a space opera, since protagonist John Carter doesn't use a spaceship to reach the red planet. But Burroughs' 1911 novel, the first in a long series about Barsoom (the natives' name for Mars), depicts aliens and other planets in ways that will be familiar to anyone who has seen Star Wars. It's one of the most influential interplanetary adventures in the genre. You can read io9 contributor John Marr's posts about the Barsoom novels here, if you'd like to learn more about the books.
-----------------------
A Duel to the Death

The Green warrior decided to close in and end the battle; just as he rushed me, a blinding light struck full in my eyes, so that I could not see Zad's approach and could only leap blindly to one side to avoid his mighty blade.
It caught me in the left shoulder; but as my vision cleared a sight met my astonished gaze that almost made me forget the fight Standing on her chariot with Sola and Sarkoja, my beloved Dejah Thoris turned on Sarkoja with the fury of a tigress and struck something that flashed in the sunlight from her upraised hand. Then I knew what had blinded me at the crucial moment, and how Sarkoja had found a way to kill me without herself deliver the final thrust!
Sarkoja, her face livid with baffled rage, whipped out her dagger and aimed a terrific blow at Dejah Thoris - and Zad was once more advancing on me with reddened blade, I felt the steel tear into my chest and all went black before me ...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345331389, Mass Market Paperback)

Although Edgar Rice Burroughs (1875-1950) is justifiably famous as the creator of Tarzan of the Apes, that uprooted Englishman was not his only popular hero. Burroughs's first sale (in 1912) was A Princess of Mars, opening the floodgates to one of the must successful--and prolific--literary careers in history. This is a wonderful scientific romance that perhaps can be best described as early science fiction melded with an epic dose of romantic adventure. A Princess of Mars is the first adventure of John Carter, a Civil War veteran who unexpectedly find himself transplanted to the planet Mars. Yet this red planet is far more than a dusty, barren place; it's a fantasy world populated with giant green barbarians, beautiful maidens in distress, and weird flora and monstrous fauna the likes of which could only exist in the author's boundless imagination. Sheer escapism of the tallest order, the Martian novels are perfect entertainment for those who find Tarzan's fantastic adventures aren't, well, fantastic enough. Although this novel can stand alone, there are a total of 11 volumes in this classic series of otherworldly, swashbuckling adventure. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:39 -0400)

Let the adventures begin, as Captain John Carter finds himself transported to the alien landscape of Mars--where the low gravity increases his speed and strength exponentially. Taken prisoner by Martian warriors, he impresses them with his remarkable fighting skills, and quickly rises to a high-ranking chieftain. But the heroic Carter's powers thrust him right in the middle of a deadly war raging across the planet--and a dangerous romance with a divine princess.… (more)

Thirteen editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,405,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible