A princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

A princess of Mars (original 1912; edition 1963)

by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Series: Barsoom (1)

2,8851082,007 (3.62)1 / 231
Member:hailelib
Title:A princess of Mars
Authors:Edgar Rice Burroughs
Info:New York: Ballantine Books, 1963, c1939 159 p. ; 18 cm.
Collections:Challenge Books, Your library, 2012 Books Read
Tags:sff

A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (1912)

Sea-Kings of Mars and Otherwordly Stories by Leigh Brackett (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Brackett was inspired by Burroughs and often does him one better.
    In the Courts of the Crimson Kings by S. M. Stirling (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: In the Courts of the Crimson Kings is an homage to Burrough's Barsoom books.
    The First Men in the Moon by H. G. Wells (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Two early 20th century works of speculation on extraterrestrial life from two of the great unfettered imaginations of English-language literature.
    Almuric by Robert E. Howard (Michael.Rimmer)
    The Swordsman of Mars by Otis Adelbert Kline (Sylak)
    Elric of Melniboné by Michael Moorcock (artturnerjr)
    Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope by George Lucas (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Anyone notice any similarities between the two?
    The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by H. P. Lovecraft (artturnerjr)

English (107)  Hungarian (1)  English (108)
The first three books of the series are in fact a complete trilogy. One that has endured for a century, and rightfully so, but if action and adventure novels are common enough, what is the lasting appeal of these books? Simple: Honour & loyalty. Essential qualities of character. I am finding in the home brood that the internet generation are missing, and lacking, these seeds. Books like these, themes like these, have shaped me. Read them. Put them into your kid's hands and no, they won't die if the iPod goes away for hours each day, forcing them to grow roots into self evaluation, meaning, and notions about character, loyalty, service.
Okay and it's fun. Hot chicks, swords, wild landscapes and wilder humanoids. You gotta love it. ( )
  LeonardGMokos | Nov 22, 2016 |
Each of Burrough's Barsoom books have weak and strong points. Although I may have enjoyed some more than others, aspects of them dragged them down. Some have worse editorial work. Some may be better written technically, but are formulaic. They are all straightforward adventure books. The superman hero John Carter uses brain and brawn to fight and win a series of increasingly difficult battles in order to achieve his goal. In this book (as in the first 3) his goal is to save his beloved, the beautiful Princess Deja Thoris. This series is the basis behind much of modern storytelling - the influences on Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon are clear, as well as the early comic book superheroes and most modern summer blockbusters. James Bond, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and other films certainly follow this style.

The story is relentlessly forward moving, like the rail shooter video games or a roller coaster. There is only one way the story can go and the reader is propelled along it. Each book introduces new exotic locales, new exotically beautiful damsels, new horrific beasts. His characters are noble or villains.

On the science fiction front, Burroughs tries to maintain a rationale behind Carter's superman abilities as well as the world environment he is thrust into. Whether the rationale holds to deeper scrutiny is irrelevant, it was a good enough reason for contemporary audiences and provided a framework to build a story on. There are fantastic elements, such as telepathic control of animals and the mysterious way John Carter is transported between worlds. There are flying battleships and mounted warriors, projectile weapons that can shoot accurately for miles and swords, everyone is hatched out an egg but can still cross-breed with an Earthling, roving hordes living in the many dead cities and technological cities with never-dying light bulbs.

Each book in the series has its strengths and weaknesses. Being the first book, the devices do not get old, but his world and style isn't quite developed. However, the setting is new and novel enough to be exciting. The first 3 are from the first person of John Carter as he tries to save Deja Thoris from increasingly powerful enemies and situations. The next few books have the same exact style with new locales and people. The first book introduces Green and Red men. The next introduces the White and the Black, the third, the Yellow man. He runs out of colors and then proceeds to telepaths who can will thoughts into material manifestations (or do they...?). Then spider heads and headless bodies in a rough symbiosis and cities filled with beautiful dead people by skilled taxidermists. This series is possibly the first example where the first book is introductory and stands on its own, but the second ends in a cliffhanger and the third resolves it so that hero gets his girl and is king of everything. Think Star Wars 4/5/6, the Matrix, Pirates/ Caribbean series.

In the fourth book on, Burroughs abandons his first person viewpoint and the story moves beyond John Carter. Characters and settings introduced earlier get fleshed out and new ones introduced. I think these stories are a bit more complex than the first three and enjoyed them more. Unfortunately, my copies of Thuvia, Maid of Mars and the Chessmen of Mars had spelling errors, typos, swapped names, disjointed sentences where words and phrases were completely gone,... I should check other editions to see if this is common or just my book. The first three were editorially clean.

The editions for this series that I chose in LibraryThing DO NOT reflect the actual editions I have. I broke the set out from the single volume compendium I have to more accurately track my reading. Mine is the single volume compendium John Carter of Mars from Fall River Press 978-1-4351-4991-5 ( )
  Hae-Yu | Oct 20, 2016 |
A seminal work in the kind of adventure I have craved since I was young, and all the while a surprising look into old sentiments of honor, evil, women, men, violence, and fancy. Egdar Rice Burroughs will not find a doubter in me of his oft lauded prowess as an author: John Carter's adventures are tight, believable, incredible and heartfelt all in the same book. It is little wonder to me that Disney chose to add this work to their long list of public domain adaptations. ( )
  MurkyMaster | Sep 9, 2016 |
Excellent! Very imaginative. I cannot wait to read ehat happed in John Carter' future adventures. ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 23, 2016 |
Definitely pulp fiction, but more fun than I expected.

I wonder what it would have been like reading this before we had sent spacecraft to Mars, and before we had nice pictures of Martian surfaces.

I can't help but wonder if Burroughs meant the reader to believe Earthlings are descended from the red men of Mars--the planet is collapsing, the ancient humanoid residents of the huge now-dead cities created the atmosphere maker. ( )
  Dreesie | Apr 12, 2016 |

Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my son Jack
Foreword

To the Reader of this Work:
In submitting Captain Carter's strange manuscript to you in book form, I believe that a few words relative to this remarkable personality will be of interest.
I am a very old man; how old I do not know.
"Was there ever such a man!"
This is the French version of "A Princess of Mars," even though the literal English translation of the French edition's title might suggest otherwise.
=============
Norman Bean is a pen name for ERB

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345331389, Mass Market Paperback)

Although Edgar Rice Burroughs (1875-1950) is justifiably famous as the creator of Tarzan of the Apes, that uprooted Englishman was not his only popular hero. Burroughs's first sale (in 1912) was A Princess of Mars, opening the floodgates to one of the must successful--and prolific--literary careers in history. This is a wonderful scientific romance that perhaps can be best described as early science fiction melded with an epic dose of romantic adventure. A Princess of Mars is the first adventure of John Carter, a Civil War veteran who unexpectedly find himself transplanted to the planet Mars. Yet this red planet is far more than a dusty, barren place; it's a fantasy world populated with giant green barbarians, beautiful maidens in distress, and weird flora and monstrous fauna the likes of which could only exist in the author's boundless imagination. Sheer escapism of the tallest order, the Martian novels are perfect entertainment for those who find Tarzan's fantastic adventures aren't, well, fantastic enough. Although this novel can stand alone, there are a total of 11 volumes in this classic series of otherworldly, swashbuckling adventure. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:26 -0400)

Let the adventures begin, as Captain John Carter finds himself transported to the alien landscape of Mars--where the low gravity increases his speed and strength exponentially. Taken prisoner by Martian warriors, he impresses them with his remarkable fighting skills, and quickly rises to a high-ranking chieftain. But the heroic Carter's powers thrust him right in the middle of a deadly war raging across the planet--and a dangerous romance with a divine princess.… (more)

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100186, 1400109108, 1452606781

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,658,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible