The Islands of the Blessed by Nancy Farmer

The Islands of the Blessed

by Nancy Farmer

Series: Sea of Trolls (3)

The Islands of the Blessed by Nancy Farmer is the third book in her Sea of Trolls trilogy. Although I loved the first book of this children’s adventure story, the second book had me almost deciding to give up on the trilogy. My completest nature decided the issue and I finally picked up the third and final book, and, while The Islands of the Blessed was not as good as the first book, for me it was much better than the second except for the questionable ending which for a book this long felt rushed and incomplete.

In this book Jack, the apprentice wizard, Thorgil, the viking shield maid and the Bard, their mentor, are off on another adventure. Their quest this time to to find a way to dispel a mermaid’s ghost as she has been drawn into this world by the ringing of a magical bell. She is intent on wrecking havoc and is out for revenge for her own untimely death.

The Islands of the Blessed is full of adventure, magic and humor. I would recommend that these books be read as a complete set as they very definitely follow each other in a linear style. The setting is of ancient Britain somewhere about 750. The plot interweaves Druid, Christian, and Norse legends and religion and it is obvious the author has done extensive research in these areas. The characters are all well drawn and even the assorted magical creatures such as hobgoblins, mer-folk and trolls have distinct personalities which keeps the book lively and exciting. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 18, 2017 |
This one was odd. There were parts that was great, particularly the island/Skull-Splitter section were there is a story to work through and a resolution to be had, but the novel just doesn't seem to work -- too many disparate elements. And the ending was terribly abrupt. ( )
  mkunruh | Nov 13, 2016 |
A great read. One I would love to read again soon. ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
I've read this series with my big boys, and we enjoy the whole series. There is history, mythology and just regular people caught up in it all. ( )
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |

Nancy Farmerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Harold
May we find the Islands of the Blessed together.
Jack's fingers ached, and blisters had formed on the palms of his hands.

Two years after their adventures in The Land of the Silver Apples, the apprentice bard Jack and his Viking companion Thorgil confront the malevolent spirit of a vengeful mermaid and begin a quest that casts them among the fin folk of Notland.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,628,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible