Flatland: a romance of many dimensions by…

Flatland: a romance of many dimensions (original 1884; edition 1953)

by Edwin Abbott Abbott

A square, who is a resident of the two-dimensional Flatland, dreams of the one-dimensional Lineland. He attempts to convince the monarch of Lineland of the possibility of another dimension, but the monarch cannot see outside the line. The square is then visited himself by a Sphere from three-dimensional Spaceland, who must show the square Spaceland before he can conceive it. As more dimensions enter the scene, the story's discussion of fixed thought and the kind of inhuman action which accompanies it intensifies.… (more)
Member:an_eternalstudent
Title:Flatland: a romance of many dimensions
Authors:Edwin Abbott Abbott
Info:New York, Dover Publications [1953, c1952] 103 p. illus. 21 cm. 6th ed., rev
Rating:****1/2

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott (1884)

English (136)  Italian (6)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (148)
Quite disappointed. Clever analog with Math? Sure. Any productive suggestion? No. Cynism is not the answer, curiosity and compassion are. But then, it's written from 135 years ago. Society progresses, human evolves. We are currently in the best zeitgeist on human period. The function of cynism declines. ( )
  Rex_Lui | Sep 12, 2019 |
The life and times of a nobleman in 2d, a very interesting view of how dimensions work and how life could work out in a flat sheet ( )
  andycyca | Aug 6, 2019 |
  andycyca | Aug 6, 2019 |
A weird book to rate, the premise is great, the world building is great, but it's not a fun book, I didn't find it boring neither, but the storytelling is bland for the most part, great idea, mediocre execution.

I'm still giving it 4 stars because it's a great idea, and the satire is in point, there were many paragraphs that could have been shorted or eliminated but every chapter aggregated something worthwhile, but the idea was at moments hammered down too hard, and repeated one time too many.

Still I enjoyed, would recommend to people interested in this type of thing, be it in the mathematical or satirical way, but would definitely not recommend as an entry point to those things.

I'll remark the fact that on Flatland women were more intelligent once upon a time, and then a Circle decided the had to be treated as purely emotional beings and stop educating them and then through generations they degraded into this nonsensical (at least these is how they are portrait ed although some things would hint they aren't so much) creatures and they blame the woman's nature and not the lack of education! And the Squares (and other middle and upper class figures) see nothing wrong with that, they are brainwashed, and they don't know it, they like it even, atrocious, I loved it, I certainly don't know what the Circles are allegory of, since I don't know that much about 1880's life in England, but I can imagine I guess.

The are other things like that, with the Criminal classes for example, and wouldn't everyone be much more happy if everyone was taught Sight Recognizing?

I really liked the satire of this, it was so poker faced. ( )
  Rose999 | Jun 28, 2019 |
'Flatland' is a Victorian novel about social class and mathematics. A. Square, our narrator, is a scholar and introduces the reader to the civilization of Flatland, its people and character. He had led a normal life up until he was visited by Sphere and taken on a tour of several dimensions. After his journey life becomes complicated.

Notably, Flatland exists in the 2nd dimension and is governed by a ruling class of polyhedrals who keep a tight grip on the teeming lower classes. Status is determined by what figure you are and male children have one more side then their fathers. Triangles are the most common and their fate is determined by the acuteness of their angles which is an indicator of intelligence. Women are exclusively straight lines and therefore silly and unpredictably volatile.

The novel moves quickly, covering the mechanics of movement, episodes in Flatland's history, and its government. The story works as an introduction to mathematical thought and as a social satire. Square cannot comprehend Sphere until he is forcibly removed from his world and on returning is left without the tools to educate those around him about what he saw. He is punished accordingly. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |

Of THREE Dimensions
Having been previously conversant
With ONLY TWO
So the Citizens of that Celestial Region
May aspire yet higher and higher
To the Secrets of FOUR FIVE OR EVEN SIX Dimensions
Thereby contributing
To the Enlargement of THE IMAGINATION
And the possible Development
Of that most rare and excellent Gift of MODESTY
Among the Superior Races
Of SOLID HUMANITY
I call our world Flatland, not because we call it so, but to make its nature clearer to you, my happy readers, who are privileged to live in Space.
The Annotated Flatland has substantial commentary by Ian Stewart and so is a separate work.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,721,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible