Hold Still by Nina LaCour

Hold Still (edition 2010)

by Nina LaCour

Member:beachmama43
Title:Hold Still
Authors:Nina LaCour
Info:Speak (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Hold Still by Nina LaCour

Recently added byArgoLib, thebookmagpie, hoegbottom, private library, ThilW, greensled, HeatherLINC
    Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (Runa)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kaledrina)
    Jane In Bloom by Deborah Lytton (meggyweg)
    Lark by Tracey Porter (kaledrina)
    The Secret Year by Jennifer Hubbard (weener)
    weener: Both these books are about teens trying to come to terms with the unexpected death of a friend.
    Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine (weener)
    weener: A really well-written book about grief and moving on.
    Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (weener)

"Hold Still" deals with sixteen-year-old Caitlin coming to terms with her best friend's suicide. As she battles with grief, anger, confusion and guilt, Caitlin gradually comes to heal and reconnect with life with the help of her photography, Ingrid's diary and two school friends, Dylan and Taylor.

Through Caitlin's flashbacks and Ingrid's journal entries we learn about the two girls' close friendship. The inclusion of the diary also gives insight into Ingrid's troubled mind, but I think it could have been developed further as the reader never fully understands what leads to Ingrid's death. Caitlin is a good, but not great, protagonist, and personally my favourite character in the book is Dylan. She is tough, upfront, and a true friend to Caitlin.

This book is a welcome change from the fantasy/paranormal genre that is flooding YA fiction and deals with some heavy subjects including teenage suicide, depression, homosexuality, self-harming and first sexual encounters. Although a good read I felt there was something lacking and I never felt fully engaged with the story. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |

HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
This is another book that I picked up a while back and I’m finally getting to it. I like deep emotional stories so I was pretty sure I would like it. That is until, I met the main character.

Plot: This is about a girl who is dealing with her best friends sudden suicide. I think anything that happens so fast without any warning is enough to make anyone crazy with grief. Caitlin is caught in the middle between thinking she knew her best friend to maybe she didn’t know her as well as she thought. The plot moves at a steady pace but at times I felt like sometimes it move too slow. I wanted more details on Ingrid suicide. More details of their friendships, etc.

Friendship: I think my main problem with this book is that Caitlin didn’t really seem like her own person. She follow Ingrid a lot. It was like once Ingrid was gone Caitlin had no idea who she was anymore. Anything she did, said went all revolved around Ingrid. I get that they are best friends but it nerved me that Caitlin was so…vulnerable. In time, Caitlin does discover who she is but the movement is slow.

Suicide: This is just a had subject to even discuss. I never went though this ever in my life so getting a chance to see it and feel through other people is all know. Still, I can not imagine the amount a grief a person goes through dealing with this. So many unanswered questions, so many emotions….

This is a good book. I think I would have like it more had I been able to connect with the main character a bit. I just felt like Caitlin was so far off for me to understand. Then again, her whole situations is pretty hard to understand in the first place. Hold Still is good. ( )
  Bookswithbite | May 19, 2014 |
Well, that was a fast read. Five, six hours? It's not a long book, but still. I devoured it.

I was expecting a book about suicide. I knew that it was from the perspective of a girl whose friend committed suicide, so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, but it turns out that this is really a book about grief. There's not a whole lot of exploration about Ingrid's mindset or her reasons for committing suicide. Instead, it's all about Caitlin trying to make her way through the aftermath. I haven't lost anyone to suicide, but I have experienced loss. And this was one of the most accurate depictions of grief I've ever read. How there's a before and an after, and the after is strangely normal even though everything has changed and the normal is like a slap in the face because surely the world should be different now. How badly people tend to deal with a grieving person, because know there's nothing that will make anything better and it makes us uncomfortable and so we just avoid the situation. And what makes it all so much worse for Caitlin is that Ingrid chose to leave.

This book was staggeringly emotional for me. Not just the rawness of the grief, but also the slow emergence back into life. New friendships, reconnecting with family, letting go. It wasn't a pleasant read, but it was really powerful. ( )
  librarymeg | Jun 30, 2013 |
A very authentic and emotional story of a girl who wants an explanation for her best friends suicide. More than that she needs to learn how to process grief and how others process their grief. This is definitely a tough story with a tough main character- Ingrid has already killed herself before the novel begins so all of the memories and journal entries Caitlin reads are steeped in sadness. This is not a flaw. The fact that LaCour can so clearly and firmly carry the reader through Caitlin's journey is a testament to her as a writer. Perhaps the novel can only truly be appreciated by those who have suffered the grief of a friend or family member's suicide. Perhaps. But if you're interested in a real accessible sad but ultimately rewarding novel about a girl who has no choice but to move on, pick this up.

I also highly recommend her second novel, THE DISENCHANTMENTS. ( )
  evanroskos | Mar 30, 2013 |

An arresting story about starting over after a friend’s suicide, froma breakthrough new voice in YA fiction

dear caitlin, there are so many things that i want so badly to tell you but i just can’t.

Devastating, hopeful, hopeless, playful . . . in words and illustrations, Ingrid left behind a painful farewell in her journal for Caitlin. Now Caitlin is left alone, by loss and by choice, struggling to find renewed hope in the wake of her best friend’s suicide. With the help of family and newfound friends, Caitlin will encounter first love, broaden her horizons, and start to realize that true friendship didn’t die with Ingrid. And the journal which once seemed only to chronicle Ingrid’s descent into depression, becomes the tool by which Caitlin once again reaches out to all those who loved Ingrid—and Caitlin herself

A Discussion Guide to Hold Still by Nina LaCour (Easy Print Version)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

Ingrid didn't leave a note. Three months after her best friend's suicide, Caitlin finds what she left instead: a journal, hidden under Caitlin's bed.

107 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,239,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible