Hold Still by Nina LaCour

Hold Still (edition 2010)

by Nina LaCour

Member:beachmama43
Title:Hold Still
Authors:Nina LaCour
Info:Speak (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Hold Still by Nina LaCour

Recently added byprivate library, bad_poet, HunterMiddle, vballnerd16, LisMB, Glire, mylifeinverse
2009 (4) ARC (6) art (8) California (5) coming of age (11) contemporary (6) death (17) depression (15) diary (4) family (8) favorites (4) fiction (25) friends (5) friendship (36) grief (29) healing (11) high school (11) journal (14) love (7) photography (22) read (4) realistic fiction (6) relationships (4) suicide (56) teen (15) to-read (25) treehouse (9) YA (34) young adult (30) young adult fiction (6)
    Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (Runa)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kaledrina)
    Jane In Bloom by Deborah Lytton (meggyweg)
    Lark by Tracey Porter (kaledrina)
    The Secret Year by Jennifer Hubbard (weener)
    weener: Both these books are about teens trying to come to terms with the unexpected death of a friend.
    Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine (weener)
    weener: A really well-written book about grief and moving on.
    Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (weener)

This is another book that I picked up a while back and I’m finally getting to it. I like deep emotional stories so I was pretty sure I would like it. That is until, I met the main character.

Plot: This is about a girl who is dealing with her best friends sudden suicide. I think anything that happens so fast without any warning is enough to make anyone crazy with grief. Caitlin is caught in the middle between thinking she knew her best friend to maybe she didn’t know her as well as she thought. The plot moves at a steady pace but at times I felt like sometimes it move too slow. I wanted more details on Ingrid suicide. More details of their friendships, etc.

Friendship: I think my main problem with this book is that Caitlin didn’t really seem like her own person. She follow Ingrid a lot. It was like once Ingrid was gone Caitlin had no idea who she was anymore. Anything she did, said went all revolved around Ingrid. I get that they are best friends but it nerved me that Caitlin was so…vulnerable. In time, Caitlin does discover who she is but the movement is slow.

Suicide: This is just a had subject to even discuss. I never went though this ever in my life so getting a chance to see it and feel through other people is all know. Still, I can not imagine the amount a grief a person goes through dealing with this. So many unanswered questions, so many emotions….

This is a good book. I think I would have like it more had I been able to connect with the main character a bit. I just felt like Caitlin was so far off for me to understand. Then again, her whole situations is pretty hard to understand in the first place. Hold Still is good. ( )
  Bookswithbite | May 19, 2014 |
Well, that was a fast read. Five, six hours? It's not a long book, but still. I devoured it.

I was expecting a book about suicide. I knew that it was from the perspective of a girl whose friend committed suicide, so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, but it turns out that this is really a book about grief. There's not a whole lot of exploration about Ingrid's mindset or her reasons for committing suicide. Instead, it's all about Caitlin trying to make her way through the aftermath. I haven't lost anyone to suicide, but I have experienced loss. And this was one of the most accurate depictions of grief I've ever read. How there's a before and an after, and the after is strangely normal even though everything has changed and the normal is like a slap in the face because surely the world should be different now. How badly people tend to deal with a grieving person, because know there's nothing that will make anything better and it makes us uncomfortable and so we just avoid the situation. And what makes it all so much worse for Caitlin is that Ingrid chose to leave.

This book was staggeringly emotional for me. Not just the rawness of the grief, but also the slow emergence back into life. New friendships, reconnecting with family, letting go. It wasn't a pleasant read, but it was really powerful. ( )
  librarymeg | Jun 30, 2013 |
A very authentic and emotional story of a girl who wants an explanation for her best friends suicide. More than that she needs to learn how to process grief and how others process their grief. This is definitely a tough story with a tough main character- Ingrid has already killed herself before the novel begins so all of the memories and journal entries Caitlin reads are steeped in sadness. This is not a flaw. The fact that LaCour can so clearly and firmly carry the reader through Caitlin's journey is a testament to her as a writer. Perhaps the novel can only truly be appreciated by those who have suffered the grief of a friend or family member's suicide. Perhaps. But if you're interested in a real accessible sad but ultimately rewarding novel about a girl who has no choice but to move on, pick this up.

I also highly recommend her second novel, THE DISENCHANTMENTS. ( )
  evanroskos | Mar 30, 2013 |

Caitlin is trying to recover from the unpredictable suicide of her best friend. Something that they had always shared was photography, but now even that is soured for Caitlin. Caitlin is left without real friends to face the nasty high school world.

Caitlin is so sad. You really feel with her. I loved the inclusion of her relationships with the other students, and the holiday at the beginning of the book that couldn't do anything for her. The guilt she feels is something that can only fade with time, and so it makes sense that the book is separated into the seasons.

This book made me cry. It was so well written that Ingrid became a real person to me, even though she was dead. At some points I wanted to hold Caitlin and explain to her that it wasn't her fault. I couldn't believe she rationed the journal to herself so well.

Caitlin had so many things going for her with building with the wood and taking photographs, and I was happy that she didn't throw it all away. There were so many negative things that we saw could have happened to her, but she stayed strong and pushed through them.

In the discussion questions and comments from the author at the back, LaLour says that she didn't really purposefully research about suicide and depression. It was apparent to me that Ingrid didn't display too many signs openly, and eventually she gave up on finding help. I could understand where she was coming from.

This book was everything I wanted 13 Reasons Why to be. Heartbreaking with real reasons behind the suicide, subtly revealed by Ingrid's journal. The parcelling out of the journal entries, and the final end were so appropriate, and I felt that Cailin had done the right thing.

The only thing that could have made this novel more perfect for me would have been if Caitlin was really a lesbian, but I had to settle for her new best friend being a lesbian which was almost as good! It was nice to see that included and not glossed over as gays being a complete minority (which they tend to be, but recognition is always good).

For once I was satisfied by the conclusion of the novel. I didn't feel like I was left hanging - Caitlin had moved to a better place with her life, and the friends she had had helped her reach a conclusion. Fantastic!

I recommend this book for teenagers. If you liked Scars, there's an even better chance you will like this book! ( )
  Rosemarie.Herbert | Feb 14, 2013 |
Ingrid and Caitlin are inseparable best friends, but that all changes when Ingrid suddenly commits suicide and Caitlin is left all alone, lost, and completely confused as to why Ingrid killed herself. When Ingrid’s journal is found, Caitlin has the opportunity to try to learn about a side of her best friend that she never really knew. The journal helps Caitlin deal with her pain as she tries to go on through life without her best friend by her side. I really enjoyed this book. It was incredibly sad and depressing, but yet beautifully written. It really made me think about what people may be going through, behind the scenes. The writing style was interesting, as it included many journal entries from Ingrid’s journal, and helped the reader to really become engrossed in the story.

Breanne R. ( )
  FolkeB | Feb 2, 2013 |

An arresting story about starting over after a friend’s suicide, froma breakthrough new voice in YA fiction

dear caitlin, there are so many things that i want so badly to tell you but i just can’t.

Devastating, hopeful, hopeless, playful . . . in words and illustrations, Ingrid left behind a painful farewell in her journal for Caitlin. Now Caitlin is left alone, by loss and by choice, struggling to find renewed hope in the wake of her best friend’s suicide. With the help of family and newfound friends, Caitlin will encounter first love, broaden her horizons, and start to realize that true friendship didn’t die with Ingrid. And the journal which once seemed only to chronicle Ingrid’s descent into depression, becomes the tool by which Caitlin once again reaches out to all those who loved Ingrid—and Caitlin herself

A Discussion Guide to Hold Still by Nina LaCour (Easy Print Version)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:00 -0400)

Ingrid didn't leave a note. Three months after her best friend's suicide, Caitlin finds what she left instead: a journal, hidden under Caitlin's bed.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,530,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible