Hold Still by Nina LaCour

Hold Still (edition 2010)

by Nina LaCour

Member:beachmama43
Title:Hold Still
Authors:Nina LaCour
Info:Speak (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Hold Still by Nina LaCour

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (Runa)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (kaledrina)
    Jane In Bloom by Deborah Lytton (meggyweg)
    Lark by Tracey Porter (kaledrina)
    The Secret Year by Jennifer Hubbard (weener)
    weener: Both these books are about teens trying to come to terms with the unexpected death of a friend.
    Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine (weener)
    weener: A really well-written book about grief and moving on.
    Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (weener)

Really liked the majority of this book; I cried out loud a few times, and laughed, too. I didn't like the theater part; it felt too unrealistic, and I'm still not sure how I feel about the Jayson situation. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Review: Hold Still by Nina LaCour.

It’s always hard to read about a story about a teenage suicide. Nina LaCour creates an emotional novel about love, loss, grieving and how to learn to move on while still keeping a piece of the lost with you. Something I like about the author is the creation of different types of characters she introduces to the reader through her writing. Also the plot was a key point because Nina LaCour masterminded a story that is not only memorable but it flows extremely well for a first novel. LaCour touches upon themes that teenagers face on a daily basis; the loss of a friend, the loss of innocence and the idea of pulling oneself out of difficult reality issues while trying to move on.

The story is written well and even though sad it’s a very honest portrayal of a teen coping and finally finding hope among her confused thoughts of why…..her best friend is no longer by her side. Caitlin feels alone, depressed, angry and confused; believing the rest of the world has completely forgotten what just happened over summer vacation.

Caitlin’s journey takes the reader on numerous feelings as she reads through a journal that her friend Ingrid left secretly under Caitlin’s bed before she took her life. Through the journal Caitlin tries to piece together why she never saw the signs of the depression eating away at her friend. She in some respect feels responsible for Ingrid’s trouble thoughts of not wanting to live. As Caitlin reads through the journal, the desperation she feels makes her alienate everyone she comes in contact with. Some readers may not like this side of Caitlin but its part of the grieving process.

The story is a little fragmented, but the small moments are breathtaking and it’s all painfully realistic. Caitlin does desperately come up with some courage and took in the things Ingrid left behind and realizes that she is not alone as she had thought.

The author shows the reader what the community goes through after a suicide takes place. She generates how art, new friends, family, teachers and even old enemies can help a person heal after a tragedy takes place. Caitlin learns a valuable lesson once she finds the strength to just “hold still” and allow life to move on….
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
"Hold Still" deals with sixteen-year-old Caitlin coming to terms with her best friend's suicide. As she battles with grief, anger, confusion and guilt, Caitlin gradually comes to heal and reconnect with life with the help of her photography, Ingrid's diary and two school friends, Dylan and Taylor.

Through Caitlin's flashbacks and Ingrid's journal entries we learn about the two girls' close friendship. The inclusion of the diary also gives insight into Ingrid's troubled mind, but I think it could have been developed further as the reader never fully understands what leads to Ingrid's death. Caitlin is a good, but not great, protagonist, and personally my favourite character in the book is Dylan. She is tough, upfront, and a true friend to Caitlin.

This book is a welcome change from the fantasy/paranormal genre that is flooding YA fiction and deals with some heavy subjects including teenage suicide, depression, homosexuality, self-harming and first sexual encounters. Although a good read I felt there was something lacking and I never felt fully engaged with the story. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
This is another book that I picked up a while back and I’m finally getting to it. I like deep emotional stories so I was pretty sure I would like it. That is until, I met the main character.

Plot: This is about a girl who is dealing with her best friends sudden suicide. I think anything that happens so fast without any warning is enough to make anyone crazy with grief. Caitlin is caught in the middle between thinking she knew her best friend to maybe she didn’t know her as well as she thought. The plot moves at a steady pace but at times I felt like sometimes it move too slow. I wanted more details on Ingrid suicide. More details of their friendships, etc.

Friendship: I think my main problem with this book is that Caitlin didn’t really seem like her own person. She follow Ingrid a lot. It was like once Ingrid was gone Caitlin had no idea who she was anymore. Anything she did, said went all revolved around Ingrid. I get that they are best friends but it nerved me that Caitlin was so…vulnerable. In time, Caitlin does discover who she is but the movement is slow.

Suicide: This is just a had subject to even discuss. I never went though this ever in my life so getting a chance to see it and feel through other people is all know. Still, I can not imagine the amount a grief a person goes through dealing with this. So many unanswered questions, so many emotions….

This is a good book. I think I would have like it more had I been able to connect with the main character a bit. I just felt like Caitlin was so far off for me to understand. Then again, her whole situations is pretty hard to understand in the first place. Hold Still is good. ( )
  Bookswithbite | May 19, 2014 |
Well, that was a fast read. Five, six hours? It's not a long book, but still. I devoured it.

I was expecting a book about suicide. I knew that it was from the perspective of a girl whose friend committed suicide, so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised, but it turns out that this is really a book about grief. There's not a whole lot of exploration about Ingrid's mindset or her reasons for committing suicide. Instead, it's all about Caitlin trying to make her way through the aftermath. I haven't lost anyone to suicide, but I have experienced loss. And this was one of the most accurate depictions of grief I've ever read. How there's a before and an after, and the after is strangely normal even though everything has changed and the normal is like a slap in the face because surely the world should be different now. How badly people tend to deal with a grieving person, because know there's nothing that will make anything better and it makes us uncomfortable and so we just avoid the situation. And what makes it all so much worse for Caitlin is that Ingrid chose to leave.

This book was staggeringly emotional for me. Not just the rawness of the grief, but also the slow emergence back into life. New friendships, reconnecting with family, letting go. It wasn't a pleasant read, but it was really powerful. ( )
  librarymeg | Jun 30, 2013 |

An arresting story about starting over after a friend’s suicide, froma breakthrough new voice in YA fiction

dear caitlin, there are so many things that i want so badly to tell you but i just can’t.

Devastating, hopeful, hopeless, playful . . . in words and illustrations, Ingrid left behind a painful farewell in her journal for Caitlin. Now Caitlin is left alone, by loss and by choice, struggling to find renewed hope in the wake of her best friend’s suicide. With the help of family and newfound friends, Caitlin will encounter first love, broaden her horizons, and start to realize that true friendship didn’t die with Ingrid. And the journal which once seemed only to chronicle Ingrid’s descent into depression, becomes the tool by which Caitlin once again reaches out to all those who loved Ingrid—and Caitlin herself

A Discussion Guide to Hold Still by Nina LaCour (Easy Print Version)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:04 -0400)

Ingrid didn't leave a note. Three months after her best friend's suicide, Caitlin finds what she left instead: a journal, hidden under Caitlin's bed.

105 wanted4 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,719,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible