Frankenstein (Barnes & Noble Classics) by…

Frankenstein (Barnes & Noble Classics) (original 1818; edition 2004)

by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (Author)

33,87962550 (3.81)1 / 1659
A monster assembled by a scientist from parts of dead bodies develops a mind of his own as he learns to loathe himself and hate his creator.
Member:mattandbranson
Title:Frankenstein (Barnes & Noble Classics)
Authors:Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (Author)
Info:Barnes & Noble Classics (2004), 256 pages

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (1818)

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (SanctiSpiritus, ghr4)
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Liondancer, artturnerjr)
    Liondancer: another scientist whose creatures get out of control
    artturnerjr: Both books share a similar blend of science fiction and horror.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (MarcusBrutus, Cecilturtle, LitPeejster)
    The Golem by Gustav Meyrink (Kolbkarlsson)
    The Journals of Mary Shelley by Professor Paula R. Feldman (JessamyJane)
    Grendel by John Gardner (sturlington)
    sturlington: Both books attempt to get into the mind of a monster.
    Monster: A Novel of Frankenstein by Dave Zeltserman (Crypto-Willobie)
    Crypto-Willobie: A decadent noirish retelling of the Frankenstein story from the monster's point of view.
    Dracula [Norton Critical Edition] by Bram Stoker (Nubiannut)
    The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells (DeusXMachina)
    DeusXMachina: Science and the responsibility for its results.
    The Sand Man / The Deserted House by E. T. A. Hoffmann (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Written within a year of each other, Hoffmann's The Sandman and Shelley's Frankenstein both feature man-made beings. And both have been adapted beyond recognition.
    Frankenstein: A Cultural History by Susan Tyler Hitchcock (FFortuna)
    The Hidden by Richard Sala (Michael.Rimmer)
    Sielun pimeä puoli : Mary Shelley ja Frankenstein by Merete Mazzarella (GoST)
    Prometheus Bound by Aeschylus (thecoroner)
    Seven Masterpieces of Gothic Horror: The Castle of Otranto; The Old English Baron; Mistrust; The White Old Maid; The Heir of Mondolfo; The Fall of the House of Usher; Carmilla by Robert Donald Spector (FrankNstein)
    Mary Shelley's Frankenstein [1994 film] by Kenneth Branagh (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Nowhere near as bad as many silly reviews would have you believe. Countless changes of the novel, but the spirit, the basic story and the essence of the characters are retained. Actually improved. The movie's more Gothic and more horror, for one (or two) thing(s). More dramatic and more tightly plotted, too. Excellent cast and production design.… (more)
    Paradise Regained by John Milton (ricalyr)
    The Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (leigonj)
    leigonj: The romantic elements of Frankenstein are clearly influenced by Goethe's classic of the genre. I was not in the least surprised when it was referred to directly in the text.
    The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells (Morteana)
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz James O'Brien (Anonymous user)

Power (1)
1810s (3)
Europe (249)
Catalog (27)

English (581)  Spanish (9)  French (5)  Danish (3)  Italian (3)  German (2)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (608)
Plot:
Victor Frankenstein has always been interested in the natural sciences, although it all started with alchemy for him. After his mother’s death, he buries himself in his work as a student of chemistry. He experiments with reanimation and actually manages to bring a creature to life. But the creature is scary and ugly and Victor abandons him. The creature has to find his own way in the world.

Frankenstein is a beautiful, albeit lengthy novel that is definitely a classic for a very good reason. Still, I have to admit that what I loved most about it is, weirdly enough, the author’s introduction.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2019/02/18/frankenstein-mary-shelley/ ( )
  kalafudra | Mar 22, 2021 |
This is a great book. If you haven't read it already put it on top of your list of books you've got to read.

I read this book after watching The National Theatre's incredible play with Benedict Cumberbatch as the monster and Jonny Lee Miller as Dr. Frankenstein. Both the play and the book are worth watching and reading.

The book is short and very difficult to put down, in the positive sense. It is infinitely more engaging than any of the Hollywood adaptations. The prose is lyrical and defies speed reading. Sentences go one way and then another and end up someplace totally different. They have an arc but it's more a spiral. Here's one from page 153 in The Signet Classic edition from 1963 -

….During my youthful days discontent never visited my mind, and if I was ever overcome by ennui, the sight of what is beautiful in nature or the study of what is excellent and sublime in the productions of man could always interest my heart and communicate elasticity to my spirits.

Yes it's a run-on sentence but that's not really the issue.

Like any piece of great fiction this requires much suspension of disbelief. Of course he can't create life - but here's something that says what if he could. And just how does the monster learn everything so quickly. Smart guy but defied belief, somewhat. What I had difficulty with is why Dr. Frankenstein constantly tried to keep it a secret until it was too late. All he had to do was let people in on his secret and they might have helped him undo the deed in some way. But no, in for a penny, in for a….. Some secrets just plain make things worse as this obviously did. And then there's the time frame. Yes life was slower then but it seemed like every time one was ill it was at least two weeks while they were down for the count. And everything seemed to be the height or the bottom, little in-between or ordinary. Even nature was, extraordinary.

The monster (he is actually nameless) eventually confronts Dr. Frankenstein and describes his journey to what he has become. One piece of the puzzle is he did some reading. Shelley has the monster discover a bag with three books, Milton's Paradise Lost, Plutarch's Lives and Goethe's The Sorrow of Young Werther. While all are classics, compared to the others Goethe's is relatively hot off the press when this was published in 1818. Interestingly it is from Werther that the monster seems to begun to understand the role of emotions.

The monster has been rejected by all the humans, even those he's tried to help. He's lonely and he asks, demands, that Dr. Frankenstein create another creature, a mate for him. Dr. Frankenstein eventually rejects the demand and that's when all hell breaks loose. It a duel to the end from that point on. Yes murders happen but the question is who should we hold accountable.

Read it. It's worth the time. ( )
1 vote Ed_Schneider | Mar 7, 2021 |
Most striking this time around is how much complaining Frankenstein does. And that, in his penultimate monologue, he champions virtue in the face of adversity, totally out of the blue. This complicates its message about science -- it can't be a simple cautionary tale -- but it's unclear where this speech comes from so I'm not sure how to take it.

Lots more going on here. God/man, God/(fallen)angel and parent/child parallels all over the place. There is less that's overtly about gender roles; I'll have to do some reading to see what all the hubbub is about. I mean, it's obviously very traditional/Victorian, but there doesn't seem to be much satire or critique going on around it. ( )
  exhypothesi | Mar 7, 2021 |
I can't believe it took me this long to read this!

(It's more of a 3.5 than a 4 but sshhhh, don't tell Mrs. Wollstonecraft.)

It kept me riveted, but god, I can't imagine having to sit in a boat on a choppy sea and listen to Dr. Frankenstein alternate between an elaborate recollection of his ENTIRE LIFE and violently crying for what was probably at least an hour, if not more, of his life. ( )
1 vote sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
Considering that Mary Shelley's Frankenstine is considered one of hte most important novels in the English literary canon, I found it rather underwhelming. Not, of course, from its lack of story or ingenuity (at the time it was considered utterly unique), but because I found the protagonist, Dr. Victor Frankenstein, to be completely infuriating and idiotic. For someone blessed with a seemingly brilliant scientific mind, Frankenstein exhibits a number of sociopathic tendencies, rooted ina self-centred narcissism and disassociation with the consequences of reality. Clearly some of his behavioural traits are inspired by concurrent literary trends (the Sorrows of Young Werther, for one) and the overly dramatic and romantic tendencies of the men Mary Shelley kept company with, but none of that redeems Frankenstein's attrocious behaviour in my eyes, In essence, the novel is a portrait of a man acting badly, even when he is given every chance of redemption, so I feel no sympathy towards the miserable circumstances in which he finds himself at the finale. All that I hope is that after the final confrontation between the monster and his deceased creator is that he manages to find his place in the world - even if it is in the reaches of the far North and away from the company of humanity. People are totally over-rated after all! ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
Wonderful story. If you have some great stories like this one, you can publish it on Novel Star, just submit your story to hardy@novelstar.top or joye@novelstar.top and there is a competition happening in NovelStar this April you might want to join.
added by JewelBonney2888 | editNovelStar

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Did I request thee, Maker, from my clay
To mould me man? Did I solicit thee
From darkness to promote me?
—Paradise Lost, x, 743-5
TO
WILLIAM GODWIN
Author of Political Justice, Caleb Williams, &c.
THESE VOLUMES
Are respectfully inscribed
by
THE AUTHOR
To Mrs Saville, England. St. Petersburgh, Dec. 11th, 17—. You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded with such evil forebodings.
You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied
the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded
with such evil forebodings.
The event on which this fiction is founded has been supposed, by Dr. Darwin, and some of the physiological writers of Germany, as not of impossible occurrence. - preface by P.B. Shelley
Mary Shelley: Though her life was fraught with personal tragedy, Mary Shelley was destined for literary greatness. (Barnes and Noble Edition)
Author's Introduction:  The publishers of the Standard Novels, in selecting Frankenstein for one of their series, expressed a wish that I should furnish them with some account of the origin on the story.  (Author's Introduction to the Standard Novels Edition (1831))
“ I had admired the perfect form of my cottagers—their grace, beauty, and delicate complexions: but how was I terrified when I viewed myself in a transparent pool . . . and when I was convinced that I was in reality the monster that I am I was filled with the bitterest sensations of despondence and mortification.”
"I will be with you on your wedding night!"
It was the wretch, the filthy daemon to whom I had given life!
"I have lately been so engaged in one occupation that I have not allowed myself sufficient rest. But I hope that all those employments are now at an end, and that I am at length free."
I felt the bitterness of disappointment; dreams that had been my food and pleasant rest for so long a space were now become a hell to me.
This is the main work for Frankenstein. It should not be combined with any abridgement or adaptation.

.dbf

Template:Cite techreport/testcases

Template:Cite thesis/testcases

Template:Convert/Transwiki guide/translate

Template:Infobox book/doc

Wikipedia:List of online reference desks/Science

Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Novels

Wikipedia:Phase II feature requests/Wiki shortcuts

Wikipedia:Red flags in edit summaries

Wikipedia:Redirects for discussion/Log/2015 August 22

Wikipedia:Reference desk archive/Language/April 2006

Frankenstein was published in 1818, the work of a 21-year-old genius named Mary Shelley. Hundreds of movies, adaptations, and monster masks later, its reputation remains so lively that the title has become its own word in the English language. Victor Frankenstein, a scientist, discovers the secret of reanimating the dead. After he rejects his hideous creation, not even the farthest poles of the earth will keep his bitter monster from seeking an inhuman revenge. Inspired by a uniquely Romantic view of science’s possibilities, Shelley’s masterpiece ultimately wrestles with the hidden shadows of the human mind.

About the author:

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley was born in London in 1797, the daughter of well-known intellectuals. She married the poet Percy Bysshe Shelley in 1816 and spent much of her adulthood in continental Europe, surrounded by her friends in the English Romantic Movement. Her tumultuous life included the loss of three children in infancy and her husband’s death by drowning in 1822. Nevertheless, her contributions to English literature continue to fascinate and inspire readers and artists alike.

Three narratives in one, all of them exploring the unknown. The ship captain is pushing dangerously into the Arctic. Dr. Frankenstein makes a notable breakthrough, creating human life anew, but runs from the consequences. The creature, who creates his own education, and determines that he needs a mate.

This volume distinguishes the three narrative levels: the sea captain, Dr. Frankenstein, and the Creature. Backmatter material adds some information about the book and its author.
Victor Frankenstein is just a college student who wants to figure out the technical details of how life works. Obsessed with chasing this discovery, he creates something unthinkable. And then things all go wrong. Read a Gothic horror classic easily with this modern English translation. But don't worry about missing anything, because the original unedited 1831 version is here too, along with a scholarly essay.
The creature awakes,
Horrible yet innocent,
Abandonment scars.
(hillaryrose7)
It is dangerous,
To play God with life and death,
Horror the result.
(hillaryrose7)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,345,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible