Frankenstein (Penguin Classics) by Mary…

Frankenstein (Penguin Classics) (original 1818; edition 2005)

by Mary Shelley, Richard Pasco (Reader)

Member:hemlokgang
Title:Frankenstein (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Mary Shelley
Other authors:Richard Pasco (Reader)
Info:Penguin Audio (2005), Edition: Abridged, Audio CD, 1 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Audiobook, 1001, England, Film

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Author) (1818)

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (SanctiSpiritus)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (MarcusBrutus, Cecilturtle, LitPeejster)
    The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells (Liondancer, artturnerjr)
    Liondancer: another scientist whose creatures get out of control
    artturnerjr: Both books share a similar blend of science fiction and horror.
    The Journals of Mary Shelley, 1814-1844: 1814-1822 (Journals of Mary Shelley, July, 1814-1822) by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (JessamyJane)
    The Golem by Gustav Meyrink (Kolbkarlsson)
    The Sand Man / The Deserted House by E. T. A. Hoffmann (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Written within a year of each other, Hoffmann's The Sandman and Shelley's Frankenstein both feature man-made beings. And both have been adapted beyond recognition.
    Dracula (Norton Critical Edition) by Bram Stoker (Nubiannut)
    Frankenstein: A Cultural History by Susan Tyler Hitchcock (FFortuna)
    The Diamond Lens by Fitz-James O'Brien (Anonymous user)
    Prometheus Bound by Aischylos (thecoroner)
    The Hidden by Richard Sala (Michael.Rimmer)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Both are novels about the horrendous consequences that arise from excessive human meddling with nature, i.e. "playing God."
    Poor Things by Alasdair Gray (bertilak)
    The Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Theodore Roszak (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: A modern sequel
    Pride And Prometheus by John Kessel (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Pride and Prometheus is a clever and award-winning melding of Pride and Prejudice and Frankenstein. Worth reading alongside the original. It won the Nebula and Shirley Jackson Award, and was nominated for a Hugo and World Fantasy Award.
    The Merciful Women by Federico Andahazi (Mahlatikka)
    The Bride of Frankenstein by Carl Dreadstone (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: After you finish the Gothic original, have some fun with this film novelization.

English (371)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (382)
The Basics

Victor Frankenstein has a strange fascination with medicine and magic. He believes the two can be combined to overcome our human limitations. Like death and the creation of new life. When he is mocked for his beliefs, he decides to take matters into his own hands and prove his theories. In the process, he begins down a path toward his own destruction.

My Thoughts

What more can be said about this book that hasn’t already been said and by wiser folks than me? It’s a classic with good reason. Shelley created tropes, characters, and cliches that are still in use today. She created an entire genre from scratch. Imagine a science fiction story, the tale of a monster, or a fusion of science fiction and horror, and then imagine not having it (or at least not having it in the incarnation you may know or love) if Shelley hadn’t had this grim inspiration. The world feels more empty just thinking it.

Maybe someone would’ve figured out the art of telling a story like this eventually, but I wonder if they would’ve done it in such a beautiful way with such rich language. I realize the language might hold some readers back, but I want to encourage anyone intimidated by Shelley’s writing to push through anyway. Enjoy the words and the way they’re written. Stephen King, to paraphrase, once said you should read books for the great writing, and you should read other books for the story, but when you find a book with great writing and a wonderful story, cherish that book. I cherish this book, because it has an abundance of both.

The story itself spans years and continents in a short space, and for that, it moves with a deepening sense of suspense. It’s dark and tragic, and the complicated characters reflect this. I’ve heard it said that Victor is the villain and the creature an anti-hero. For my interpretation (since that’s all I had to give with so many voices already speaking on this topic), they were both the heroes of their own story, both wrecked by the other, making them also villains. As much as I sympathized with the creature, I can’t justify everything he did. And as much as Victor had his faults and his terrible mistakes, I felt for him when he expressed guilt to the point of being unable to share his dark secrets.

There’s more to be said. With something that stood the test of time like this has, there would be. But the most I can say is that I appreciate this book, I enjoyed it immensely, and I feel better for having read it.

Final Rating

5/5 ( )
  Nickidemus | Sep 18, 2014 |
I did not agree with most of Shelley's philosophical points... But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy her story. Synopsis- everyone pretty much knows this but- Dr. Frankenstein creates a monster man who is obviously misunderstood and hunted. Not one of my favorites though. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
The novel is as complex in its vocabulary, its ability to elicit emotion from the reader and its horror.

There are better places on the 'net and elsewhere to give you a summary of the plot. See the Cliff Notes site for the best rendition: http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/literature/Frankenstein-Book-Summary.id-1...

The book starts out on a ship that is exploring the extreme north, where ice floes and freezing temperatures are the norm. The captain sees a figure on a dogsled going across the landscape. He thinks this is weird. Then he later finds a man on an ice sheet near death.

The captain, Robert Walton, pulls him aboard and is amazed at his articulate manner (I guess hanging out with sailors all day for weeks does that to you). His name is Henry Frankenstein. Henry finds that Robert has some interest in bringing things to life, etc., and experimentations of that nature. Henry freaks out and says no, let me tell you my story.

And so it goes.

Though Shelly's language is at times a bit of a chore to get through, I was impressed with the flow and style of the story, her commentaries on family, Nature, the poor, and Man daring to act the role of Creator.

The details of Victor creating the creature are a bit weak, but understandable. After all I'm sure Henry did not want to give all the details otherwise we'd be setting up shop and doing it ourselves!

There are not secret labs, no big electric machines and no maniacal servants or criminal brains. There is plenty of secret work, as Victor, through use of chemistry and alchemy texts, creates the "spark of life." But, he is so horrified at what he has done, that he suffers a nervous breakdown and takes months to convalesce.

The creature, with no guidance and his master abandoning him, wanders the countryside as he learns to survive. He starts out noble and appreciative of nature, but also finds that Man rejects him utterly.

Unlike God's creation of Adam, and Genesis' exclamation that His creation was "good", Victor's creation is found to be evil.

The creature holes up in a cottage where he can spy on the people therein. There, he learns the language and the behaviors of the three people within. Here Shelly makes much about the unfairness of prison justice and the squalor being experienced by the common folk of the time. Living during the time of the Industrial Revolution, it is understandable she would make comments along the lines of destitution and that machines alone can degrade Man. Quite interesting.

As the story progresses, the creature decides that he will avenge himself against Man and against his creator for making him ugly and wretched.

And so the horror begins. Victor tries to make a life for himself but the creature has other plans as the creature kills his little brother William.

Victor finds the creature and they make a bargain: create a female version for the creature's companionship and he will go off to South America and leave him forever. And if he does not, the creature will make his life a living Hell.

What a choice, huh?

Anyway, Victor tries to make a woman for the creature, but then changes his mind and rips it to shreds. He is afraid that they will reproduce and populate Man with these demons. (Why he didn't just make the female version incapable of giving birth, I'm not sure.)
And so the story goes: through the wretched squalor of poor villages, through the injustice and inhumane prisons and tribunals, the death penalty for an innocent, and further death of Victor's father, the murder of his wife Elizabeth and Henry Clerval.

The struggle and horror between the creature and Victor is ameliorated by Victor's view of Nature, in the Swiss Alps, and his travels along the Rhine and in England, Scotland and Ireland. Interesting how Shelly shows that Nature, or God's creations, will create a positive joy, but Man's abominations will not.

Shelly makes many comments not only on the society of her time, but philosophical concepts of science gone made, of horror and squalor, and of the justice systems of the time.
[b:Frankenstein|18490|Frankenstein|Mary Shelley|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255576965s/18490.jpg|4836639] ( )
  jmourgos | Sep 12, 2014 |
such a fascinating read - and probably not what you think it's going to be if you are only basing your opinion on film or stage adaptations. i had some issues with certain points in the story feeling like padding - like frankenstein's travels from geneva to scotland. i also am generally not a fan of coincidence in fiction, so when those moments happened in the story, it was something i really noticed and didn't enjoy. shelley could be a bit clunky with her writing - but she was so young. it's quite an accomplishment for a 19yo's first novel - a story that has endured and been loved for such a long time. i am on the fence about whether to not i like that frankenstein's 'how' was never truly revealed. does it matter? i can't decide.

this particular edition is great. i enjoyed [author:Elizabeth Kostova|5918] introduction a lot. i read it after i read the story, and it did add to my enjoyment of the story. "...the hard science in Frankenstein is always in soft focus. Despite this possible shortcoming, the novel brims with questions we face in our own era of gene therapy, artificial intelligence, and robotics. Can and should the force we call life be "created" or genetically altered? What are the possible ethical and human repercussions of such experiments? Should there be a limit to our attempts to explore and control the natural world? Once we have tampered with nature, is it our obligation - or perhaps our doom - to try to restore balance by further tampering?" ( )
  DawsonOakes | Aug 27, 2014 |
The story is excellent, a real must-read, & entirely different than most of the movies, but the writing bores me to tears. Nothing is ever said with one word when a paragraph will do. I liked an edited for kids copy that I read with mine much better, although that changed a lot of the story as well. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Did I request thee, Maker, from my clay
To mould me man? Did I solicit thee
From darkness to promote me?
---Paradise Lost, x, 743-5
TO
WILLIAM GODWIN
Author of Political Justice, Caleb Williams, &c.
THESE VOLUMES
Are respectfully inscribed
by
THE AUTHOR
You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded with such evil forebodings.
The event on which this fiction is founded has been supposed, by Dr. Darwin, and some of the physiological writers of Germany, as not of impossible occurrence. - preface by P.B. Shelley
Mary Shelley: Though her life was fraught with personal tragedy, Mary Shelley was destined for literary greatness. (Barnes and Noble Edition)
Author's Introduction:  The publishers of the Standard Novels, in selecting Frankenstein for one of their series, expressed a wish that I should furnish them with some account of the origin on the story.  (Dover Thrift Edition)
“ I had admired the perfect form of my cottagers- their grace, beauty, and delicate complexions: but how was I terrified when I viewed myself in a transparent pool . . . and when I was convinced that I was in reality the monster that I am I was filled with the bitterest sensations of despondence and mortification.”
"I will be with you on your wedding night!"
This is the main work for Frankenstein. It should not be combined with any abridgement or adaptation.
Frankenstein was published in 1818, the work of a 21-year-old genius named Mary Shelley. Hundreds of movies, adaptations, and monster masks later, its reputation remains so lively that the title has become its own word in the English language. Victor Frankenstein, a scientist, discovers the secret of reanimating the dead. After he rejects his hideous creation, not even the farthest poles of the earth will keep his bitter monster from seeking an inhuman revenge. Inspired by a uniquely Romantic view of science’s possibilities, Shelley’s masterpiece ultimately wrestles with the hidden shadows of the human mind.

About the author:

Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley was born in London in 1797, the daughter of well-known intellectuals. She married the poet Percy Bysshe Shelley in 1816 and spent much of her adulthood in continental Europe, surrounded by her friends in the English Romantic Movement. Her tumultuous life included the loss of three children in infancy and her husband’s death by drowning in 1822. Nevertheless, her contributions to English literature continue to fascinate and inspire readers and artists alike.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0141439475, Paperback)

Frankenstein, loved by many decades of readers and praised by such eminent literary critics as Harold Bloom, seems hardly to need a recommendation. If you haven't read it recently, though, you may not remember the sweeping force of the prose, the grotesque, surreal imagery, and the multilayered doppelgänger themes of Mary Shelley's masterpiece. As fantasy writer Jane Yolen writes of this (the reviewer's favorite) edition, "The strong black and whites of the main text [illustrations] are dark and brooding, with unremitting shadows and stark contrasts. But the central conversation with the monster--who owes nothing to the overused movie image … but is rather the novel's charnel-house composite--is where [Barry] Moser's illustrations show their greatest power ... The viewer can all but smell the powerful stench of the monster's breath as its words spill out across the page. Strong book-making for one of the world's strongest and most remarkable books." Includes an illuminating afterword by Joyce Carol Oates.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:51 -0400)

Presents the story of Dr. Frankenstein and his obsessive experiment that leads to the creation of a monstrous and deadly creature.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible