Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Babar the King by Jean de Brunhoff

Babar the King

by Jean de Brunhoff

Series: Babar (3)

Super racist colonial propaganda. ( )
  emcnicho | Aug 25, 2013 |
Originally published in 1933, this third Babar book picks up just where its predecessor, The Travels of Babar, left off, as Babar, Celeste and the Old Lady adjust to being back in the land of the elephants. When all of the many goods he purchased on his recent travels arrive by special dromedary delivery, Babar puts his grand plan into motion, proposing that the elephants build their own city, to be named Celesteville after their queen. All goes according to plan, and soon the pachyderm metropolis is a reality. But just when all seems well, and the elephants are celebrating their achievement, a double tragedy strikes, in the form of a snakebite that leaves the Old Lady gravely ill, and a house fire which injures wise old Cornelius. As Babar slips into a troubled dream that night, the question hangs in the air: which will triumph, Misfortune or Happiness...?

Although I do recall reading them as a young girl, I can't say that the Babar books have ever been amongst my particular favorites - they're interesting, the artwork is lovely, but the stories never really appealed to me, and I did not read them again and again, as I did some other titles. I would imagine that those readers who perceive in these books an apologia for colonialism (see Should We Burn Babar?: Essays on Children's Literature and the Power of Stories) will be incensed at the story here, in which Babar, with the Old Lady by his side, brings "civilization" to the elephants, in the form of urban development. For my part, I continue to waffle, as it concerns the question of Jean de Brunhoff's worldview and storytelling intent. Did he mean these books to be a glorification of France's colonization of Africa, or as a gentle parody (as Adam Gopnick has argued) of it? If the latter, does that mean that they are less problematic? I have no answers, but the parallel between France and Africa in the early twentieth century, and the humans and elephants in these stories, seems fairly clear. There were no "fierce cannibals" here, as there were in The Travels of Babar - something for which I am grateful, given the offensive way in which they were portrayed - but I can't honestly say I enjoyed the story that much. Leaving aside all political and/or ethical issues, it just felt a little disjointed to me. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 26, 2013 |
This book is about Babar the king. He and his people have built a beautiful city called Cellesteville. Everyone is happy with the kingdom until bad things happen. An old lady gets bit by a snake and Cornelius gets injured in the fire. Babar has a terrible dream of bad things coming, but then good elephants save them with happiness and hope. This story reminds us even in bad times we must remember to have faith and keep up a positive attitude. ( )
  smvega | Sep 13, 2012 |
Another Babar favorite. ( )
  stevetempo | Nov 6, 2008 |
Babar the King of the Elephants decides to create a city by a river. The city is built, the elephants are all given their jobs and after the jobs are done, they get to play different games. Everyone is happy till the Old Lady gets bit by a snake and Cornelius' house burns down. King Babar is worried till he dreams give his the answers. The moral of the story is that everyone has misfortunes from time to time, but if you are not discouraged, and work hard, you can be happy.

Great moral to get at, the fact that the elephants made a beautiful city is fun and showing all of them with jobs before play time is also good. The names of the elephants were a tongue twister and some times the wording was confusing even to me. The description of some of the activities were not easily understood by my children and so the story could not flow (because we had to stop to discuss it). My oldest did enjoy the list of names and their jobs, but that was because I had trouble saying all of the names without 'blah blah'. ( )
  onyx95 | Aug 14, 2008 |

This third title about Babar and his family follows the elephants as they build a magnificent city: Celesteville. Life is peaceful and contented, everyone has a job to do, and celebrations are frequent. But one fateful day a snake bites the Old Lady and Babar fears that he may lose his oldest friend. Illus. in full color by the author.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:49 -0400)

After making peace with the rhinoceros, King Babar and Queen Celeste plan a model city and live happily with their friends and subjects in the country of elephants.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,739,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible