Big Al and Shrimpy by Andrew Clements

Big Al and Shrimpy

by Andrew Clements

I liked this book because the plot of the story was well organized and paced well for the content of the story. The two main characters become friends and after going on some adventures the small fish ends up saving the big fish. I also liked the book because I feel like it is a good book to teach lessons about comparing and contrasting characters. The book uses clear language and describes similarities and differences clearly. The main idea of this story is that even though Shrimpy is just a little fish he can still have bog ideas and do big things. ( )
  shax1 | Oct 6, 2016 |
Big Al and Shrimpy is a very good book with an age old idea that sometimes opposites attract and that sometimes the very big can get help from the very small. My favorite elements of the book were the characters and the plot. The characters of Big Al and Shrimpy were both physically different (as their names suggest) as well as mentally different and yet they instantly became friends. For instance, Big Al was the brawn and wasn't afraid of the Big Deep and on the other hand, Shrimpy was the brain and managed to formulate a plan to save Big Al when he got caught on a rock and was dragged into the Big Deep. The plot itself is great because it just teaches so many great lessons to children. Other than the main idea I mentioned before, the book also teaches children not to underestimate each other because of physical appearance. Shrimpy was tiny, tinier than all the other fish, but he managed to lead every other fish into the Big Deep with his big ideas. The book also teaches children that they can find strength through their peers. Big Al taught Shrimpy how to be brave by taking him to the Big Deep and showing him not to be afraid anymore. That's how Shrimpy built up the courage to go down to save Big Al. ( )
  cmcdon13 | Sep 27, 2016 |
A cute enough fable, but I'm sure it's been done better elsewhere. In my opinion, read this from the library but don't buy it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
In the first grade class I am interning in we read Big Al and Shrimpy to teach the students concepts such as: characters, settings, beginning, middle, end, problem and solution. This book is an easy read that is quickly comprehensible for a young audience. The story focus on two main characters who find friendship in one another, Big Al gets stuck in the big deep and poor Shrimpy is too small to help him alone. Shrimpy is very smart and finds other small fish to help him save Big Al. The story has a clear beginning, middle (problem) and end (solution). These literary elements can be used as teachable moments for the composition of a storyline. I also enjoyed the illustrations throughout the book, they added an element of interest that connected the words on the page and the intended mean that I assume the author was conveying. I would use this book as a teaching tool.
1 vote FrancescaOliveira | Sep 30, 2015 |
Big Al was definitely not one of my favorite books. I've read a couple of Andrew Clements chatter books and this book lives a lot to be desired. The storyline was a bit boring since we only see the typical friends helping each other in a difficult situation. The illustrations are beautiful and with a few changes in the plot of the story, this would be a wonderful book. ( )
  cvarela | Nov 28, 2014 |

Shrimpy learns that even though he may be small, he can still make a big difference to his friend, Big Al.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,751,712 books! | Top bar: Always visible