Big Al and Shrimpy by Andrew Clements

Big Al and Shrimpy

by Andrew Clements

946128,437 (3)None

In the first grade class I am interning in we read Big Al and Shrimpy to teach the students concepts such as: characters, settings, beginning, middle, end, problem and solution. This book is an easy read that is quickly comprehensible for a young audience. The story focus on two main characters who find friendship in one another, Big Al gets stuck in the big deep and poor Shrimpy is too small to help him alone. Shrimpy is very smart and finds other small fish to help him save Big Al. The story has a clear beginning, middle (problem) and end (solution). These literary elements can be used as teachable moments for the composition of a storyline. I also enjoyed the illustrations throughout the book, they added an element of interest that connected the words on the page and the intended mean that I assume the author was conveying. I would use this book as a teaching tool.
1 vote FrancescaOliveira | Sep 30, 2015 |
A cute enough fable, but I'm sure it's been done better elsewhere. In my opinion, read this from the library but don't buy it. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Big Al was definitely not one of my favorite books. I've read a couple of Andrew Clements chatter books and this book lives a lot to be desired. The storyline was a bit boring since we only see the typical friends helping each other in a difficult situation. The illustrations are beautiful and with a few changes in the plot of the story, this would be a wonderful book. ( )
  cvarela | Nov 28, 2014 |
This was definitely not my favorite book. I feel like it left much to be desired. It had the basic lesson of friendship and finding friendship in unexpected places, but it just didn't have anything special going for it. Although the text was not outstanding, the illustrations were just beautiful and very creative. I loved seeing the colors of the fish as I turned the pages. ( )
  kloupe1 | Sep 20, 2011 |
Kindergarten-2nd grade. Good story about friendship and teamwork between two fish. Good for kids to see how people can pull together for someone who is in trouble. Multicultural ( )
  mmwrigh3 | Aug 31, 2011 |

Shrimpy learns that even though he may be small, he can still make a big difference to his friend, Big Al.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,699,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible