The Norsemen: Myths and Legends by H.A.…

The Norsemen: Myths and Legends (original 1909; edition 1994)

by H.A. Guerber

Member:stevepugh
Title:The Norsemen: Myths and Legends
Authors:H.A. Guerber
Info:Senate Books (1994), Paperback, 480 pages
Tags:!sold

Myths of the Norsemen by H. A. Guerber (1909)

This book is terribly outdated, and skews toward Christianity more often than not, but is a good primer for someone who doesn't know where to start with Norse mythology. It lays out all the gods, discussing their stories and how they connect to one another. It should be taken with a grain of salt, like many other books from this time, and should definitely not be treated as any scholarly source. ( )
1 vote ML-Larson | Mar 10, 2015 |
I found this book on Project Gutenberg and decided to read it before reading some Icelandic sagas so that I wouldn't be completely lost. For someone who had little knowledge of Norse mythology this was a good book to get an overview of Norse gods and mythology. I have seen some reviews that have stated some facts in this book are not correct but since I am far from an expert on this subject I cannot comment on that. I was pleasantly surprised to get to read about Aslaug and Ragnar Lothbrok as I was not expecting them to be in this book (even the teeny bit that they were). I really enjoyed that the author sprinkled quotes from the sagas throughout this book. One thing that I felt might be interesting to some but was completely unnecessary to me was the comparison of Norse mythology to Greek mythology at the end. Quite frankly it just felt like filler and was boring. I think I would have liked it more if the author would have used the Greek names for the Greek gods instead of the Roman names. Now that I have more knowledge of Norse mythology I am looking forward to reading some Icelandic sagas. ( )
1 vote dpappas | Apr 29, 2014 |
Myths of the Norsemen gives good descriptions of most of the Norse Gods and tells at least one story about each.

Illustrated and contains two Norse sagas. The Sigurd Saga, and The Frithiof Saga. ( )
1 vote SebastianHagelstein | Oct 11, 2012 |
While the Norse myths are interesting, I can't help but think that this is probably not the best book on the subject. As is fairly common for late 19th and early 20th century scholars--from what I've read at any rate--the author comes across as rather condescending. The introduction, which I assume is by the author, was so pompous I only read a few lines of it before I put the book down and didn't pick it up again for over a year, and even then I skipped the introduction. ( )
  yoyogod | Jan 23, 2010 |
Although the Aryan inhabitants of Northern Europe are supposed by some authorities to have come originally from the plateau of Iran, in the heart of Asia, the climate and scenery of the countries where they finally settled had great influence in shaping their early religious beliefs, as well as ordering their mode of living.
I know that I hung
On a wind-rocked tree
Nine whole nights,
With a spear wponded ,
And to Odin offered Myself to myself ;
On that tree
Of which no one Knows
From what root it springs.
--Odin's Rune-song (Thorpe tr.)

A collection of myths that tell of the creation of the world, the deeds of such gods and heroes as Odin, Thor and Siegfried, the machinations of the evil Loki, and more. Entertaining and readable, these tales present the ancient Germanic and Scandinavian myths that have helped shape literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:35 -0400)

5 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,022,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible