Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

The Host

by Stephenie Meyer

Series: The Host (1)

14,150616254 (3.93)1 / 161

English (599)  German (6)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (614)
I was surprised I liked this book so much. I did really enjoy (over all) the Twilight series, but I wasn't so much impressed with Meyer's writing as her storytelling. There is a difference for me. I had no intention of reading anything else of hers, until a friend literally shoved this into my hands last Monday night when I was over at her place for dinner. We were discussing The Hunger Games and eventually Twilight and some others. She teaches High School Drama, and so reads whatever the kids are reading to keep up and be able to join discussions. Anyway, it came out that I hadn't read The Host and she was quite insistent. So, I walked away from dinner, still not finished with the Percy Jackson series and this enormous FAT book in my hands that I had previously had no intention of reading. *sigh*

Then, Friday night I started it. This last Friday night (By the way this is the following Monday morning, in case you stumble onto this review much later.) around 8 pm. Sunday night I stayed up WAY too late to finish it (619 pages).

It was a little bit of a rip off of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but with so much more detail and development. That movie is a classic, but fell so flat (probably on purpose) when it came to the aliens. Where were they from? Why were they here? What was their story? Who were they? What were they like, besides pointing and screeching? I loved the inner dialogue between Mel and Wanderer...hated the nickname "Wanda".

I preferred it to the Twilight series actually, and I appreciated the fact that she didn't turn it into a series and try to milk it. Any sequel would have felt forced. Also, I was impressed with the fact that, other than the "torn between two lovers" thing, it was nothing like the Twilight books. Even that had the twist, the love triangle was a bit of a rectangle. There were three bodies in love, but four people. :)

It was a fun, easy read, a little predictable in parts, but all in all a feel good book. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
This one has a fun premise - what happens after the invasion of the body snatchers happens and they win? A snatcher named Wanderer finds herself keeping company with her host in her head and they follow the host's desire to a hidden encampment of free humans. They are both pretty boy crazy, so this one does not pass the Bechdel test (maybe she talked about something other than a man with her female nemesis, but I'm not sure) The gripping adventure and melodrama got me through one bout of insomnia, but I think some of the passages would have been less tortuous if I'd been reading the print version and could slip over the slow bits - drawn out descriptions of action scenes that made me roll my eyes and mumble - oh get on with it! I was a little weirded out by the end with all the tiny female bodies. What was up with all the infantilization? She may write sequels - and with any luck they'll be better than the Twilight sequels (I only listened to one, then gave up) - Thumbs up as a guilty pleasure.

cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
When I read this book I was highly surprised, and not because of the ridiculous hype that had taken place over her preceding "Twilight Saga". It was simply because I was enthralled by Vampires. More so, those within Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles but regardless, in this case, I just loved Stephanie Meyer's work in "The Host". What stood out most about this book is how she painted vivid beautiful pictures of the some of the surroundings. Some of the dialogue was also very engaging.

I'd say this book shows how much Stephanie Meyer learn from her previous books! ( )
  BloodPriestess | Mar 5, 2019 |
Slow, confusing start, but it turned out to be a good book. ( )
  sgilbraith | Feb 8, 2019 |
A member of a species that takes over the minds of human bodies, Wanderer is unable to disregard his host's love for a man in hiding, a situation that forces both possessor and host to become unwilling allies. SOFT
  JRCornell | Jan 30, 2019 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

De buitenaardse Zielen hebben de lichamen van bijna alle mensen overgenomen. Wandelaar is een ervaren Ziel. Ze wordt in het lichaam van de rebelse Melanie geplaatst, in de hoop dat ze achter de locatie van meer mensen kan komen. Wandelaar kan Melanie echter niet helemaal overmeesteren. Ze sluiten vriendschap en Melanie leidt haar naar een groep mensen die nog niet 'beZield' zijn. Het verhaal wordt verteld door de ogen van Wandelaar, waardoor het een originele kijk geeft op de mensheid: gewelddadig en kortzichtig, maar ook met prachtige, overweldigende emoties en ingewikkelde relaties. Naast dit psychologische element bevat het verhaal ook veel spanning. Wandelaar, maar ook veel van de andere personages, maakt een ontwikkeling door en het is niet moeilijk om je met Wandelaar te vereenzelvigen. Korte hoofdstukken met titels die uit een woord bestaan dat vooral op de gemoedstoestand of situatie van Wandelaar slaat. De auteur is bekend van haar 'Twilight'-serie voor jongeren. Ook hier gaat het om de relatie van een mens met niet-menselijke wezens. Prachtig, meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, M. Migchelsen

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.
It’s a voluntary choice
He nuzzled his face against mine until he found my lips, then he kissed me, slow and gentle, the flow of molten rock swelling languidly in the dark at the center of the earth, until my shaking slowed.
‘Well, for Pete’s sake!’ Jeb exclaimed. ‘Can’t nobody keep a secret around this place for more’n 24 hours? Gol’ durn, this burns me up!’

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316068047, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:09 -0400)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,484,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible