The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Stephenie Meyer

Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Back Bay Books (2013), Edition: Mti Rep, Paperback, 656 pages
Rating:*****

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

English (585)  German (6)  Italian (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (599)
A unique view on a dystopia and a new kind of love triangle made this book a refreshing read. This book stands out among my shelves as something different yet familiar to my preferred genres. A favorite of mine due to it complete memorability.
  mitzee333 | Oct 5, 2018 |
This series was my very PNR Romance, I watch the movie with my daughter great story ( )
  Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |
According to me a Prologue or the 1st Chapter of a book is THE reflection - SO it must capture my attention from page 1 I will continue a few more chapters to give the Book a fair chance to change my mind!
SO Herewith my review!

Prologue OR Chapter 1

Chapter Development

Epilogue! →

My feelings while reading this: →

To the Author

Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |
Absolutely hated Twilight but LOVE this book! So intense, great questions, I was compelled to read and ended up having some strange dreams about aliens. Worried about how it would end but found it to be a satisfying conclusion. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
So I have a confession to make: I've never read the Twilight books. Don't like vampires, and was just never into the whole Team Edward/Team Jacob thing. I wasn't interested in Stephanie Meyers at all, but I saw this movie on Netflix and thought I'd give it a try. Was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it. When I found the novel at Dollar Tree for $1, I couldn't pass it up. I wound up really enjoying the novel. My only thing was, the hosts were so good and kind and sweet I felt like it kind of took away from the suspense of the novel. There was no terror like in Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, although the plot reminded me of that. Still, I liked Wanda, Ian, and Mel, and thought the whole cave setting was pretty unique. All in all, a good, clean romance; even if there were a couple of cheesy moments. Now I want to watch the movie again to see how it compares to the book. ( )
  sarahashwood | Jun 22, 2018 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

De buitenaardse Zielen hebben de lichamen van bijna alle mensen overgenomen. Wandelaar is een ervaren Ziel. Ze wordt in het lichaam van de rebelse Melanie geplaatst, in de hoop dat ze achter de locatie van meer mensen kan komen. Wandelaar kan Melanie echter niet helemaal overmeesteren. Ze sluiten vriendschap en Melanie leidt haar naar een groep mensen die nog niet 'beZield' zijn. Het verhaal wordt verteld door de ogen van Wandelaar, waardoor het een originele kijk geeft op de mensheid: gewelddadig en kortzichtig, maar ook met prachtige, overweldigende emoties en ingewikkelde relaties. Naast dit psychologische element bevat het verhaal ook veel spanning. Wandelaar, maar ook veel van de andere personages, maakt een ontwikkeling door en het is niet moeilijk om je met Wandelaar te vereenzelvigen. Korte hoofdstukken met titels die uit een woord bestaan dat vooral op de gemoedstoestand of situatie van Wandelaar slaat. De auteur is bekend van haar 'Twilight'-serie voor jongeren. Ook hier gaat het om de relatie van een mens met niet-menselijke wezens. Prachtig, meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, M. Migchelsen

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.
It’s a voluntary choice
He nuzzled his face against mine until he found my lips, then he kissed me, slow and gentle, the flow of molten rock swelling languidly in the dark at the center of the earth, until my shaking slowed.
‘Well, for Pete’s sake!’ Jeb exclaimed. ‘Can’t nobody keep a secret around this place for more’n 24 hours? Gol’ durn, this burns me up!’

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316068047, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:09 -0400)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,597,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible