The Host by Stephenie Meyer

The Host (edition 2008)

by Stephenie Meyer (Author)

Series: The Host (1)

15,059625259 (3.92)1 / 162
The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)
Member:KLHtet
Title:The Host
Authors:Stephenie Meyer (Author)
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2008), Edition: 1st, 619 pages
Rating:***

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

English (610)  German (6)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (625)
this book is mindblowingly, earth shatteringly, remarkably..... meh. I've tried twice now to read it but really just can't bring myself to read past lines like "I had a rough idea of exactly where I was". ( )
  rickycatto | Sep 9, 2020 |
I really wanted this book to end with exciting redemptive dying, like Aliens3. The allusion to the way Souls reproduce had me hoping that Wanderer would explode into a million baby souls who would all have her memories about humans and then there could be interspecies harmony and blahblahblah sacrifice cakes. Sadly it had a much neater and happier ending. Happy endings are good and all, but not terribly satisfying here. I wanted exploding soul bits! Grrr.

Plus the body she ended up in was lame. All fluffy and soft and helpless? LAME. Wanderer had such a strong sense of self and a real appreciation for strength, and then she got stuck in a fragile little teenager. I did not approve. And I wasn't thrilled with the whole age differentials in a relationship that require lying thing. It just sat wrong with me, since she was a bajillion years old or whatever, lying seemed stupid. It's not like the body cares how old it is, so the idea that Ian had to be lied to because he might think she was too young for sex felt silly.

Despite that, I will say that the story kept me involved almost the whole way through, although I skimmed some in the middle. Also, there were a few times when I was forced to roll my eyes so hard they got lost somewhere back in my skull. The relationship triangle (quadrangle?) was not my favorite part.

In short: it was a fun, light read. Quick for its length too.
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
I picked this book up as a suggestion. The story was a little slow to begin with but once the story got going I didn't want to put the book down. It is the first book I have read by Stephenie Meyer and I will be picking up more. ( )
  JesseekaG | Jul 30, 2020 |
Earth is invaded by a parasitic species that takes over human brains and essentially leaves them dead. Melanie Styder, on the other hand does not fade away when Wanderer(the alien) tries to takes over her mind and body. This makes wanderer feel strongly for things that her host feels, and they go in search for Melanie's brother and Love in hope of finding them safe in a secret location. Wanderer 's encounter with the humans and we follow Wanderer as that journey unfolds .
I want to start with the writing style. I love the writing style, it is so gripping and makes the story flow easily. I love the characters ,the setting, the plot etc. The only things that makes this a 4 instead of a 5 star read is the fact that I would have liked a little more action in the story. The plot and setting were perfectly capable of handling some action, but we just didnt get that. Regardless, I love the book and it never felt like a book with over 600 pages. It left me wanting more from the world. ( )
  manogna_thumukunta | Jul 8, 2020 |
I read this book when it originally came out, and have just read it again recently. It was an easy read and read it the second time in 2 days. I found the storyline interesting and was satisfied with the ending. ( )
  hipney | Jun 3, 2020 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

De buitenaardse Zielen hebben de lichamen van bijna alle mensen overgenomen. Wandelaar is een ervaren Ziel. Ze wordt in het lichaam van de rebelse Melanie geplaatst, in de hoop dat ze achter de locatie van meer mensen kan komen. Wandelaar kan Melanie echter niet helemaal overmeesteren. Ze sluiten vriendschap en Melanie leidt haar naar een groep mensen die nog niet 'beZield' zijn. Het verhaal wordt verteld door de ogen van Wandelaar, waardoor het een originele kijk geeft op de mensheid: gewelddadig en kortzichtig, maar ook met prachtige, overweldigende emoties en ingewikkelde relaties. Naast dit psychologische element bevat het verhaal ook veel spanning. Wandelaar, maar ook veel van de andere personages, maakt een ontwikkeling door en het is niet moeilijk om je met Wandelaar te vereenzelvigen. Korte hoofdstukken met titels die uit een woord bestaan dat vooral op de gemoedstoestand of situatie van Wandelaar slaat. De auteur is bekend van haar 'Twilight'-serie voor jongeren. Ook hier gaat het om de relatie van een mens met niet-menselijke wezens. Prachtig, meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, M. Migchelsen

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.
It’s a voluntary choice
He nuzzled his face against mine until he found my lips, then he kissed me, slow and gentle, the flow of molten rock swelling languidly in the dark at the center of the earth, until my shaking slowed.
‘Well, for Pete’s sake!’ Jeb exclaimed. ‘Can’t nobody keep a secret around this place for more’n 24 hours? Gol’ durn, this burns me up!’

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,938,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible