The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Back Bay Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:YA, Own But Have Not Read

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

English (567)  German (6)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  English (1)  English (582)
Fantastic, this is Meyer's best to date. It has everything, and a real page turner. Not a vampire story, which turned off many YA fans of Meyer, but those who gave it a chance loved it as much as I did.
  Gmomaj | Nov 5, 2016 |
I write this review with tears in my eyes. What an excellent read. When I first began the story I was confused, but by the middle I was absolutely sucked in. Melanie was taken over by a host/alien from another planet and has to struggle with watching the host live her life. They butt heads but by the end have a wonderful friendship. The pictures Stephanie Meyer painted in my head from the cave to the characters were incredible ... There is love, suspense, and sadness throughout this book. The ending was a huge shock and left me speechless. I would give it 5 out 5 for sure! ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
My initial thoughts:
1. Much better than Twilight, I'm impressed with Meyer.
2. Good idea, interesting alien invasion.
3. I don't really think this is an adult book?!
4. Very little actually happens, but it's still a good read!
5. Personally I prefer Ian to Jared, but then I don't think we really know enough about Melanie to fully understand her and Jared's relationship.
6. Overall I'm pleasantly surprised by this book, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would! ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
Um..
I hate to write a negative review so I will not.
I love Stephenie Meyer but I did NOT like this book and I will NOT be reading the rest of this series.
I love Paranormal but I am going to tell you that this Book was not for this girl right here.
The only thing I was happy with is that the book ended. This took forever to tell me nothing..

Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |

MarijaSabljic | Jun 28, 2016 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

De buitenaardse Zielen hebben de lichamen van bijna alle mensen overgenomen. Wandelaar is een ervaren Ziel. Ze wordt in het lichaam van de rebelse Melanie geplaatst, in de hoop dat ze achter de locatie van meer mensen kan komen. Wandelaar kan Melanie echter niet helemaal overmeesteren. Ze sluiten vriendschap en Melanie leidt haar naar een groep mensen die nog niet 'beZield' zijn. Het verhaal wordt verteld door de ogen van Wandelaar, waardoor het een originele kijk geeft op de mensheid: gewelddadig en kortzichtig, maar ook met prachtige, overweldigende emoties en ingewikkelde relaties. Naast dit psychologische element bevat het verhaal ook veel spanning. Wandelaar, maar ook veel van de andere personages, maakt een ontwikkeling door en het is niet moeilijk om je met Wandelaar te vereenzelvigen. Korte hoofdstukken met titels die uit een woord bestaan dat vooral op de gemoedstoestand of situatie van Wandelaar slaat. De auteur is bekend van haar 'Twilight'-serie voor jongeren. Ook hier gaat het om de relatie van een mens met niet-menselijke wezens. Prachtig, meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, M. Migchelsen

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.
It’s a voluntary choice
He nuzzled his face against mine until he found my lips, then he kissed me, slow and gentle, the flow of molten rock swelling languidly in the dark at the center of the earth, until my shaking slowed.
‘Well, for Pete’s sake!’ Jeb exclaimed. ‘Can’t nobody keep a secret around this place for more’n 24 hours? Gol’ durn, this burns me up!’

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316068047, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:09 -0400)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,638,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible