The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Back Bay Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:YA, Own But Have Not Read

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

English (564)  German (6)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (579)

MarijaSabljic | Jun 28, 2016 |
Ding dong, this book is done! ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Good if you like science fiction. Definitely not as good as the Twilight series. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Also reviewed here: http://porcelainulairi.wordpress.com/2011/09/25/review-the-host/

What do you get when you cross Twilight and Aliens? Alien vampires? Vampires that pop out of your stomach? Bad writing and bad acting? Well, you get none of these. You get the novel The Host by Stephanie Meyer. Ok, I guess that means you DO get the bad writing.

This book has been gathering dust on my shelves since its release in 2008. I got it as a gift, probably because I had read all of the Twilight series and it is by the same author. I had attempted to start it a couple times, but never got further than the first few pages. Instead, I ended up reading this book in its audio form, lent to me by a co-worker.

The synopsis: Aliens have taken over Earth. Not the kind we normally picture, but ones who are inserted into our bodies and pretend to be us. They turn the world into a pleasant place: eliminating violence, disease, and the idea of paying for anything since everyone is so trustworthy. The alien soul called Wanderer is placed in what is thought to be one of the last resisting humans, Melanie Stryder. But it turns out that Melanie is stronger than they thought. Wanderer becomes overwhelmed by Melanie’s presence in “her” mind, including her memories. She makes the decision to set out into the desert in search of Melanie’s lover, Jared, and brother, Jamie. She soon stumbles upon the rebel outpost set up by her uncle, and finds many other surviving humans, including Jared and Jamie. While at first despised, the humans soon accept Wanderer, and a love triangle ensues. Dubbed Wanda, she tries to make sense of her conflicting emotions not just about Jared and another man in the compound, but also about the choice her race has made to take over this world.

To be honest, I really love the concept of the novel, and I am not one for books about aliens. I find it truly original. The idea of an alien race that conspicuously takes over and then continues to live life as if they were humans is interesting. Meyer also does a good job of creating numerous other worlds that these souls have dominated, making the entire race full of depth and character. Unfortunately, a couple of the ideas are rather juvenile, such as the names for the aliens’ remedies: heal, smooth, no pain, etc.

This novel was pushed as Meyer’s first “adult novel.” However, the themes are too similar to Twilight. In fact, there were times I was reading this that I thought it WAS Twilight. For instance, because Wanderer has taken over Melanie’s mind, the memories and feelings associated with those memories come with. Which means she believes she loves Jared. Even after he beats her bloody and sees loathing in his eyes whenever he looks at her. Their interactions in the beginning often make no sense, and have a eerie similarity to Edward and Bella.

The story is told from Wanderer’s perspective, which is also similar to Twilight. Meyer seems comfortable talking only from the female lead’s view. I suppose there is nothing wrong with that, but there were times I wish we could know more or something different. It got a little stale. My audiobook version was read by Kate Reading, who’s voice was serene. This seemed to fit the character of Wanderer. However, her inflection rarely changed, and many of her voices were the same, rendering it rather bland.

Despite all this, I actually kind of enjoyed the book. Maybe it was because it soothed me on my rides to and from work. Maybe it was because I was rather taken with the concept, if not the content. But I am on the fence on whether I would actually recommend this to another reader. I, personally, think that Meyer is a horrible writer. Her ideas are new and interesting, but she manages to fudge up the delivery. This was definitely the case with the Twilight series, but I feel like she improved only slightly with The Host.

So how can I rank this book? I feel like if you are going to sit down and attempt to read a physical copy of it, I would give it a 2. This is mostly based on the concept and fresh ideas I felt were brought to the table. If you were going to listen to the audio version, I think I would give it a 3, simply because I find it requires less thought. This isn’t a book you will dive into and envelop yourself in the characters, but it is an easy and fresh read. ( )
  Ulairi | Jun 16, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this thought-provoking page-turner, and so did my family (my teen boy, my young adult oldest son, and my husband). That was when it was newer and we got it from the library. Now when I see a copy at a thrift store, I pick it up to share via bookcrossing. Or maybe to re-read, if she ever gets out the sequels I've heard are planned. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

De buitenaardse Zielen hebben de lichamen van bijna alle mensen overgenomen. Wandelaar is een ervaren Ziel. Ze wordt in het lichaam van de rebelse Melanie geplaatst, in de hoop dat ze achter de locatie van meer mensen kan komen. Wandelaar kan Melanie echter niet helemaal overmeesteren. Ze sluiten vriendschap en Melanie leidt haar naar een groep mensen die nog niet 'beZield' zijn. Het verhaal wordt verteld door de ogen van Wandelaar, waardoor het een originele kijk geeft op de mensheid: gewelddadig en kortzichtig, maar ook met prachtige, overweldigende emoties en ingewikkelde relaties. Naast dit psychologische element bevat het verhaal ook veel spanning. Wandelaar, maar ook veel van de andere personages, maakt een ontwikkeling door en het is niet moeilijk om je met Wandelaar te vereenzelvigen. Korte hoofdstukken met titels die uit een woord bestaan dat vooral op de gemoedstoestand of situatie van Wandelaar slaat. De auteur is bekend van haar 'Twilight'-serie voor jongeren. Ook hier gaat het om de relatie van een mens met niet-menselijke wezens. Prachtig, meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, M. Migchelsen

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.
It’s a voluntary choice
He nuzzled his face against mine until he found my lips, then he kissed me, slow and gentle, the flow of molten rock swelling languidly in the dark at the center of the earth, until my shaking slowed.
‘Well, for Pete’s sake!’ Jeb exclaimed. ‘Can’t nobody keep a secret around this place for more’n 24 hours? Gol’ durn, this burns me up!’

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316068047, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:09 -0400)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,589,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible