The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Back Bay Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:YA, Own But Have Not Read

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

English (527)  German (6)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (543)
Beginning was a little slow, but got better as I read. ( )
  desmondmarie32 | Jun 28, 2015 |
amazing. wonderful. I am speechless loved loved loved it
  silverdshay123 | Jun 23, 2015 |
At times, extremely sappy, but the concepts are so vivid that I couldn't put it down. ( )
  heradas | May 31, 2015 |
Stephenie Meyers wrote this as more of an adult novel - as opposed to the Twilight Saga books which are for young adults. The Host also has a triangle - well, more of a quadrangle - instead of a woman and two men, the Host is a woman, the woman who lives in her (as her), and two men. Interesting concept. I'm not sure one has to like science fiction to like The Host, but I think it would help. I'm not a science fiction lover, and I did like The Host very much - although not as much as the Twilight Saga books. ( )
  suzyblack | May 17, 2015 |
I had had this book on my wish list for over a year, and decided to finally get around to reading it. Seemed interesting, especially after I had read an excerpt online. As it turned out, this book is one of the most gripping reads I've had in awhile. I enjoyed the characters, the story, and the writing in general. This one has earned a place on my "top-shelf favs". ( )
  katzplanet | May 15, 2015 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316068047, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:09 -0400)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,908,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible