The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Back Bay Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:YA, Own But Have Not Read

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

English (498)  German (6)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (514)
I don't know how to describe my love for this book. I really like Wanda because her personality is so strong throughout the whole book. Her early struggles with Melanie, her determination to find Jared and Jamie, her terror, her love, her confusion, and her final decision. Yes, sometimes I wanted to slap her in the face when she's agonizing about Jared and Ian, but that's mostly just because I detest love triangles. Honestly, this is the only love triangle I can almost understand. I mean, the complications of having two people in one body are huge.

Anyway. I'm a big fan of character growth, and that's basically what The Host is all about, for every single character in the book. It's an exciting and dangerous adventure, yes, but a lot of it is more internal. Wanda deals with Melanie, she deals with the other humans, and she deals with the other souls. Sounds kinda boring, but it's not.

I like to envision what happens after the book. I like the idea of the souls and the humans living under some kind of peace treaty. Hundreds of the years in the future, there's an alliance... some souls live on earth, but they're only allowed to live in empty bodies (coma patients who have volunteered their bodies maybe?).

But anyway, back the actual book. It's awesome. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jul 21, 2014 |
Meyer really shocked me with this novel. It was wonderful. I can't believe I waited so long to read it. If you want heavy sci-fi, this isn't for you. Meyer takes what she's best at, writing about relationships between people, and sprinkles in a bit of sci-fi. Give this a chance, I would go out on a limb and say I liked it better than Twilight. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
The Host was a very well written book in my opinion with a story written by Stephanie Meyer that was even better than Twilight. I put it off for so long because I wondered how it would compare to her Twilight series. But once I picked it up, I was kicking myself for waiting so long to have given it a chance. I have read it several times since. It is a beautiful story. The movie DID NOT do the book justice. It was who they cast as the characters because I loved Max Irons and Jake Abel, but it was the fact that I felt the movie itself left so much out and changed a little too much in way of feeling and words. If you have only seen the movie then please, i beg you, pick up the book and give it a chance. You will not be disappointed with this love story with a twist. ( )
  Ashleigh_Autumn | Jul 3, 2014 |
This is the first one I read. I read it because I wanted to know if I could recommend it to young girls who love the Twilight series...and I could. Fantastic story about alien body snatching, but with a romantic twist. ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316068047, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:31 -0400)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,655,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible