The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Back Bay Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:YA, Own But Have Not Read

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

English (507)  German (6)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (523)
I can remember shelving this away on my TBR when it first debuted in 2008... I can honestly remember trolling through the bookstore and seeing this cover on the shelf and immediately being drawn in. This cover is mesmerizing- it reveals so little yet has a strong pull. After reading the book of course, the cover takes on an entirely new meaning. I can also honestly say that if it wasn't for the timing of the Mount TBR challenge and the movie trailer, The Host would likely have continued to collect dust and get lost in the sea of books. The best part of the movie trailer was that it took my mind completely off of Stephenie Meyer as the author of Twilight. I went into The Host without bias. I am so glad that I did. This novel was compelling. I was immediately transferred to a world inhabited by aliens with a small resistance. I didn't need to think to transform my world into that of Mel's- Meyer did that perfectly for me.

The characters were well written and deeply connected on various levels. Melanie and Wanda are one in the same, yet completely separate. Meyer is able to pull of the duel personality (that isn't DID!) with finesse. Both characters maintain autonomy and as the story unfolds, you can quickly ascertain how each will react in a given situation.
I also loved the way she made two strikingly different worlds in one story... the world of the resistance and the world of the aliens. It is fascinating. This novel is both science fiction and utterly human at the same time. I was so engaged in this story that I found myself speed reading just to get to the next page. This book was hard to put down. This book is definitely for fans of science fiction and those looking for some intellectual food.
Meyer has suggested that this book may be part of a trilogy. I am undecided on whether or not I hope this story continues, but I do think that if she were to continue with the story that I would certainly read it.
  littlebirdreads | Feb 10, 2015 |
Pro #1: The connection between Melanie & Wanda is so amazingly well developed. Even though they are one body, the dialogue between both of them makes you forget that and makes it real that they are in fact two separate life forms.

Con #1: It's not too much of a huge deal for me but I felt that a particular antagonist in the story was not very well though out. By that I mean that he would almost just pop up out of nowhere and spread his anger around then in the end he has a change of heart and now I guess is no longer a mean machine. I know there are people out there who have read this and know who I am talking about. Most would probably disagree but I just think this character could have been better written.

Pro #2: I can not stress enough to anyone that is willing to listen about how The Host instantly draws you in. From the first few chapters, I could already tell how much I was going to like this book. Back up a little bit before I even opened the book, there is just something about the original hardcover edition that is so beautiful to me. I really liked that there was this love story that depending on how you looked at the situation could have been considered a love triangle but it wasn't a big part of the book. It played into other factors of the story but it never seemed to overshadow the real issues going on.

Con #2: As much as this book drew me in, I have to be honest when I say that I could see that ending coming from a mile away! This is probably the only real draw back of this entire book. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that it ended that way but it wouldn't hurt if Stephenie Meyer felt the need to just completely throw me off guard!

Overall, the book was amazing and none of the cons would be enough reason for me to not love this book any less. I'm probably one of the last humans to read this but if anyone just happens to have never picked up this book then do so now! Even though this year just started, it is absolutely one of my favorites. ( )
  justwordedlines | Jan 19, 2015 |
OKAY. Did anyone else notice the plot similarities between this....and the Animorphs series by KA Applegate? I'm serious. Slugs inhabiting brains? Yeah, that's already been done. In a kid's series.

This really bored me. I did get mildly interested towards the end, but that's it. Would not recommend. ( )
  crashmyparty | Dec 9, 2014 |
I'll admit that I'm not a fan of Stephenie Meyer simply because I found the Twilight series lacking and predictable. I just could not find it in me to care for anything related to Twilight. But The Host was definitely a better read. There were no dazzling vampires or topless werewolves, just regular people dealing with an alien invasion. The Host was much more enjoyable to sit down and concentrate on, even during the less interesting plot points. The ending hinted that there may be more to follow such as a sequel, but even if this is the only time I encounter Wanderer and Melanie, I'd be content. ( )
  AlphaHikar | Dec 7, 2014 |
Meyer’s next attempt after her Twilight series doesn’t stray far from her familiar and predictable plot arrangement, though instead of vampires, she gives the readers aliens. Melanie, the main character, has been invaded by a passive alien being, as has much of the planet. While most hosts succumb to their alien invaders, Melanie refuses to allow this new soul, Wanderer, to take control of her body and life. Melanie forces her personal memories on Wanderer, making her presence known, while simultaneously blocking Wanderer from other thoughts. Going against the rules of her species, Wanderer seeks out and begins to love Jared, a man she doesn’t know, but can’t forget. Even as the conflict twists into a love triangle, the plot drags and stalls. Though the ending is fantastical, less-sophisticated readers may abandon the book during the pieces of dense description and little action. Nonetheless, loyal Meyer followers will likely seek out this science fiction novel. ( )
  ginawilliams | Nov 19, 2014 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316068047, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:31 -0400)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,748,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible