The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Back Bay Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:YA, Own But Have Not Read

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

English (503)  German (6)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (519)
Meyer’s next attempt after her Twilight series doesn’t stray far from her familiar and predictable plot arrangement, though instead of vampires, she gives the readers aliens. Melanie, the main character, has been invaded by a passive alien being, as has much of the planet. While most hosts succumb to their alien invaders, Melanie refuses to allow this new soul, Wanderer, to take control of her body and life. Melanie forces her personal memories on Wanderer, making her presence known, while simultaneously blocking Wanderer from other thoughts. Going against the rules of her species, Wanderer seeks out and begins to love Jared, a man she doesn’t know, but can’t forget. Even as the conflict twists into a love triangle, the plot drags and stalls. Though the ending is fantastical, less-sophisticated readers may abandon the book during the pieces of dense description and little action. Nonetheless, loyal Meyer followers will likely seek out this science fiction novel. ( )
  ginawilliams | Nov 19, 2014 |
I wouldn't say this book started out slow-paced -- it's just that it's so weird and different, especially considering we're reading it from the point of view of an alien. After the first few chapters it really gets quite interesting, and the last half made it difficult for me to choose sleep instead. I enjoyed this book far, far more than the Twilight books. It's interesting to come away from the book liking the alien more than the person whose body she inhabits. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |

I have to preface this review by stating that I was heavily prejudiced. I was not a fan of Twilight, and yes I really tried to read those books, but this review is not about the Twilight trilogy. My husband insisted that I read The Host, but I resisted because the way he kept selling it never adequately described the concept. How the situation in The Host was so compelling.

We frequent the theater a lot, so I'm sorry to say that I saw the movie before I read the book. When I saw the movie, I couldn't say that I liked it, but it had done what no one else could--it sold the book to me. I was intrigued enough by the tense conflict it TRIED to present to want to see how Meyer ACTUALLY handled it.

I was not disappointed.

Again, this is a review of the BOOK, but I have to address the movie in some way, as its the entire reason I even read this wonderful story.

There were logical holes in the adaptation's script, and something felt off about the conflict resolution. I got the distinct feeling that the film had somehow missed the point, and my husband's grumblings confirmed this. The issue was, I later learned, that the movie tried to bring more focus to the Seeker in an attempt to create a "recognizable" antagonist. What the film makers failed to realize was that, if they had cut the extraneous scenes with the Seeker out, they could have returned attention to what made up the CORE of the book. The conflict with the humans. This story isn't about whether or not the Seeker will find and succeed in turning the humans into hosts. This story is about humanity, and violence, and pacifism. I guess the creators didn't trust their YA audience to be able to understand that violence and negative emotion were the true antagonists of this book. Aren't one of the first things we learn in fiction that an antagonist doesn't have to be a PERSON in a book to work or make sense? Even children can grasp that on an unconscious level.

The film was like a huge signal boost. By seeing its failings, I was able to see the novels strengths.

As I read, I ended up really liking Wanda.

...No, LOVING her.

I'm a sucker for angst and martyrdom, but it has to be done just right, and Meyer does it exquisitely here. Wanderer's struggle to reconcile her sense of self from the wants of her body were fascinating, and her steadfast compassion and pacifism brought a tear to my eye. Normally, when someone seems overly non-violent, I go nuts, but in this case, I was touched every time Wanda refused to resort to violence, even as Melanie, her host body, yearned to. And Meyer treats the psychological and emotional problems that come with occupying a body that is loved by others and still sheltering its host consciousness very well, too. Jared's callousness toward Wanda broke my heart every time, and I cheered when Ian revealed his incredible insight to our protagonist's dilemma.

And geez, does Wanda get the SNOT kicked out of her.

I can gush about this book forever, and I'll miss the comfort and entertainment it provided me these few days. The ending was very sweet, and MUCH more satisfying than the film. I may not be a rabid Meyer fan, but I can certainly admit now that I've enjoyed some of her work, and I'm curious to see what she comes up with next! ( )
  Illise_Montoya | Sep 28, 2014 |
One thing I have to say about this book: even though it's not even close of being one of my favorite books, I can tell that Meyer's writing skills improved drastically if compared to the Twilight series. Still, I would stick to the movie, which is concise, objective and bolder.
Another great improvement comparing The Host to the Twilight series: the main character (Melanie, not Wanda). She is... well, actually pretty awesome because, unlike Bella Swan or even the Wanderer, she faces her challenges head-on and in several moments is event a bit... intense (if you ignore the extra chapter), which is great, because that makes her very human and natural. Wanda, on the other hand, is the kind of character that, in my opinion, dragged the story back to a very, very, very slow pace.
If there is one thing that you can notice right away is how Meyer never seems to be willing to be mean to ANY of her characters, which isn't completely bad, but the fact that every character seems to demand a happy ending gets annoying after a while. As a result, the story has nearly no conflicts other than the characters' personal dramas.

One thing that kinda pissed me off about this book: Meyer created an interesting world (even if it's too idealistic) and opened doors to the possibilities of complex moral questions, like how the lack of conflicts can also lead to chaos and how the Souls could make the world a peaceful place at the cost of mankind's freedom. Instead, she focused on the interaction of a single soul whose focus was to understand why the survivors took so long to actually trust her. Once again, we have Meyer's trademark of sentences repeated to exhaustion to express Wanda's fears and insecurity and the need for her to hear from either Jared and Ian how much they liked her over and over and over again. After a while, it gets really tiring following up with Wanda through her journey. I believe the book would have been a lot better if it weren't written in the first person.

The book is acceptable but, honestly, if I had just stuck with the movie, I think I wouldn't have missed the book. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
was a slow starter but the story its self was original. After I got through the first 150 pages of bordeom it started to pick up. I found it to be thrilling, sad, and cultural. I cried at the end and would recommend this to any scifi friend ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316068047, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:31 -0400)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,028,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible