The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Back Bay Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:YA, Own But Have Not Read

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

English (502)  German (6)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (518)
One thing I have to say about this book: even though it's not even close of being one of my favorite books, I can tell that Meyer's writing skills improved drastically if compared to the Twilight series. Still, I would stick to the movie, which is concise, objective and bolder.
Another great improvement comparing The Host to the Twilight series: the main character (Melanie, not Wanda). She is... well, actually pretty awesome because, unlike Bella Swan or even the Wanderer, she faces her challenges head-on and in several moments is event a bit... intense (if you ignore the extra chapter), which is great, because that makes her very human and natural. Wanda, on the other hand, is the kind of character that, in my opinion, dragged the story back to a very, very, very slow pace.
If there is one thing that you can notice right away is how Meyer never seems to be willing to be mean to ANY of her characters, which isn't completely bad, but the fact that every character seems to demand a happy ending gets annoying after a while. As a result, the story has nearly no conflicts other than the characters' personal dramas.

One thing that kinda pissed me off about this book: Meyer created an interesting world (even if it's too idealistic) and opened doors to the possibilities of complex moral questions, like how the lack of conflicts can also lead to chaos and how the Souls could make the world a peaceful place at the cost of mankind's freedom. Instead, she focused on the interaction of a single soul whose focus was to understand why the survivors took so long to actually trust her. Once again, we have Meyer's trademark of sentences repeated to exhaustion to express Wanda's fears and insecurity and the need for her to hear from either Jared and Ian how much they liked her over and over and over again. After a while, it gets really tiring following up with Wanda through her journey. I believe the book would have been a lot better if it weren't written in the first person.

The book is acceptable but, honestly, if I had just stuck with the movie, I think I wouldn't have missed the book. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
was a slow starter but the story its self was original. After I got through the first 150 pages of bordeom it started to pick up. I found it to be thrilling, sad, and cultural. I cried at the end and would recommend this to any scifi friend ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I'll never get these hours of my life back. **sobs quietly ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I really like the premise for the story, but the romance and emotional scenes are too one dimensional for me. There are enough of them that I was only able to finish half the book before I had to throw up my hands and declare I had enough.
  annertan | Jul 31, 2014 |
I don't know how to describe my love for this book. I really like Wanda because her personality is so strong throughout the whole book. Her early struggles with Melanie, her determination to find Jared and Jamie, her terror, her love, her confusion, and her final decision. Yes, sometimes I wanted to slap her in the face when she's agonizing about Jared and Ian, but that's mostly just because I detest love triangles. Honestly, this is the only love triangle I can almost understand. I mean, the complications of having two people in one body are huge.

Anyway. I'm a big fan of character growth, and that's basically what The Host is all about, for every single character in the book. It's an exciting and dangerous adventure, yes, but a lot of it is more internal. Wanda deals with Melanie, she deals with the other humans, and she deals with the other souls. Sounds kinda boring, but it's not.

I like to envision what happens after the book. I like the idea of the souls and the humans living under some kind of peace treaty. Hundreds of the years in the future, there's an alliance... some souls live on earth, but they're only allowed to live in empty bodies (coma patients who have volunteered their bodies maybe?).

But anyway, back the actual book. It's awesome. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jul 21, 2014 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316068047, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:31 -0400)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,731,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible