The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Back Bay Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:YA, Own But Have Not Read

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

English (557)  German (6)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (572)
Loved this book so original! ( )
  SnowBookHollow | Apr 13, 2016 |
A peaceful but parasitic alien race invades and conquers Earth to inhabit humans. A small but determined group of human remain to fight. Melanie, a young "freedom fighter" gets caught by Seekers and Wanderer is implanted into her body. There is a struggle for dominance between the two, and they eventually come to not only accept one another, but develop a love and respect for each other. They have to cope romantic feelings for two different men within the same body, which causes some internal conflict. Eventually, Wanderer sees the pain and injustice that she and her race's actions have caused humankind. She decides that after so many lives, she is ready to end her life rather than be reimplanted. She asks Doc to remove her from Melanie and bury her with her perished human friends. Instead, after being removed, she is put into a cryogenic tank and her human friends, and love interest, reimplant her into another human body, that they could not find the original human in. Wanderer is then reunited with the people and a world that she had to come love.

Curriculum Connection: compare/contrast; writing prompts; character traits & analysis; point of view ( )
  danielle.trotter | Apr 9, 2016 |
Is Love What It Means to Be Human?

As invasions go, the Souls takeover of Earth was a peaceful one. Very few humans were harmed. In fact the Souls very survival depends on this: their race needs the bodies of other species to survive. That is why they travel through space, colonizing planets as they go by taking over the bodies of the native species. After that, they become their new hosts, living as they would in an idyllic world without wars, hunger or disease. Because, ironically, despite their initial act of invasion, the souls are gentle beings that recoil from aggressive behaviors.

But on Earth, not every one is happy with the new state of things as Wanderer, the soul that has taken over a young girl’s body is about to discover. Her host, Melanie, refuses to fade away and as their minds fight, the Wanderer comes to realize what the Souls’ invasion meant to Humans.

Wanderer is an old Soul having lived seven lives already, but nothing has prepared her for the overwhelming emotions that means to be a young girl and in love. Unable to control her body’s yearning from Jared, the man Melanie loves, she goes in search of him. But Jared refuses to believe Melanie still lives inside her mind and sees Wanderer only as her killer. To convince him otherwise will require their joint effort, and so, out of need, Melanie and Wanderer reach an uneasy truce they both know cannot last.

Wanderer is a wonderful character, gentle and loving, easy to relate to. Through her struggles to understand humans, we see ourselves in a new, not always flattering light.

Although the book’s pace drags a little at certain points in the narrative, the strength of its characters and their passion for love and each other, will keep you reading to the end.
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
Having trouble getting into this one but I felt the same way during the first of the Twilight series and I ended up loving those. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
I am having a hard time getting into the story and understanding it, it is so strange.

I finally returned to the book with a clear mind and I got it, I understood what is going on!!! I reached chapter 19 and I hate how they keep calling Wanderer/Melanie "it", it is just so mean, and Jarred was meaner.

I am not sure I liked this book, though it is creative. I don't get why people say this is better than Twilight, I disagree.

I really liked Ian so I added a star, the way he loves Wand is so amazing. But I am glad they didn't let Wanda fade away. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

De buitenaardse Zielen hebben de lichamen van bijna alle mensen overgenomen. Wandelaar is een ervaren Ziel. Ze wordt in het lichaam van de rebelse Melanie geplaatst, in de hoop dat ze achter de locatie van meer mensen kan komen. Wandelaar kan Melanie echter niet helemaal overmeesteren. Ze sluiten vriendschap en Melanie leidt haar naar een groep mensen die nog niet 'beZield' zijn. Het verhaal wordt verteld door de ogen van Wandelaar, waardoor het een originele kijk geeft op de mensheid: gewelddadig en kortzichtig, maar ook met prachtige, overweldigende emoties en ingewikkelde relaties. Naast dit psychologische element bevat het verhaal ook veel spanning. Wandelaar, maar ook veel van de andere personages, maakt een ontwikkeling door en het is niet moeilijk om je met Wandelaar te vereenzelvigen. Korte hoofdstukken met titels die uit een woord bestaan dat vooral op de gemoedstoestand of situatie van Wandelaar slaat. De auteur is bekend van haar 'Twilight'-serie voor jongeren. Ook hier gaat het om de relatie van een mens met niet-menselijke wezens. Prachtig, meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, M. Migchelsen

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316068047, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:09 -0400)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible