The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Back Bay Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:YA, Own But Have Not Read

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

2008 (68) 2009 (34) adult (47) alien (44) alien invasion (45) aliens (396) dystopia (48) ebook (51) fantasy (269) fiction (487) friendship (27) invasion (32) Kindle (33) love (93) novel (37) own (49) paranormal (51) parasites (69) read (86) read in 2008 (35) romance (294) science fiction (898) sf (36) Stephenie Meyer (71) supernatural (35) survival (83) to-read (152) unread (32) YA (65) young adult (102)

English (489)  German (6)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (504)
I loved everything about this book. Stephenie Meyer really knows how to create characters that you can care about. Plus, I'm I sci-fi girl anyway. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
1. I read some reviews were people stopped reading the book because of the age difference - seriously? Its not even a problem - Wanderer is just as old as Jared and Ian ---- AND there are much bigger age difference between some folks here in real life.

2.I loved hearing about the other planets - I found it quite interesting.

3. I cried when Walter died and he thought Wanda was Gladys.

4.I just dont like Jared - i LOVE Ian, but Jared.. I just cant accept.

5. Wanda was just to self sacrificing, but its how the souls are...

6. The ending was so sweet!

Some quotes:
"We made our worlds better places; that was absolutely essential or we did not deserve them."

"Stop being a baby. Nothing is going to eat you. Now lie down and get some rest. Tomorrow will be harder than today."
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
Meh ( )
  Lexiant | Feb 23, 2014 |
This is one of my all time favorite books ever written. Yes, I enjoyed the Twilight Saga but the Host is just leaps and bounds so much better. It's extremely thought provoking and is really a fascinating portrait of humanity. It's not super action packed, there's no shirtless werewolf/vampire beefcakes running around but it's truly such an amazing book. I've read it twice so far and still not a day goes by that I don't think about it. This book will leave you thinking long after you've finished it. I know alot of people don't like Twilight and think the writing is atrocious but I really don't believe Stephenie Meyer is a bad writer or is bad with English. I think Bella was the one who was bad with English. This book more than proves that Stephenie Meyer not only has a great imagination, can tell a great story but can also write a great story. Maybe she was just holding back on Twilight or maybe it's just one of those things where you grow better as you practice your art. Kinda like sharpening a pencil. Either way the book was a very nice read. All of the characters felt more than real and had such a depth to them. I don't think anyone's ever done the whole pod people thing on this level. Usually you get to see it from the humans perspective and the invaders are evil but with the Host you find yourself in the aliens point of view and not only do you realize that they aren't evil but they're actually very nice. They didn't invade out of malice or anything: it's just what they do. In fact you actually come to see the humans as more barbaric and undeserving of this planet they occupy and then just when you almost dislike them Stephenie Meyer pulls out all the stops and makes you fall in love and like each side.

It's very interesting reading a story from the invaders point of view and that alone would have been great but the aliens Host is still alive and trapped in her own body. I don't believe there's ever been a "love triangle" quite like this. In fact I don't think you could even call it a triangle. I know I'm being vague but I don't want to give anything away. Read the Host. Whether you enjoyed Twilight or not shouldn't matter. This story deserves to be judged on it's own merits and is an awesome thought provoking book. I could go on all day harping about it. Do yourself a favor and read this book. Don't wait for the movie which looks to be more action packed than the actual book. The real action in the book is the internal dialogue between Wanderer (the invader/soul) and Melanie (her host). Part of me hopes she doesn't write any sequels because it is just such a perfect book even though a part of me wants more. It's a rather large book but by the last 100 pages or so I was wishing it would go on forever. I would have gladly been able to read another 600 pages or so. Great book. ( )
  Jamiesbookblog | Feb 12, 2014 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

Stephenie Meyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316068047, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:31 -0400)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible