The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Back Bay Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:YA, Own But Have Not Read

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

English (550)  German (6)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (565)
I would give this book more than 5 stars if that were possible! It is the only book - ever! - that made me actually weep ... real tears too, not just a sniffle. It is also the only book that I have immediately started re-reading.
  zuzamiller | Feb 3, 2016 |
  zuzamiller | Feb 3, 2016 |
I read the beginning of this book a year ago and wasn't motivated to continue as it is quite long and I was thoroughly convinced it was keeping me from things I would enjoy more. I recently restarted it as an audio book in the car, and I have gotten into the third cd and am close to abondoning it because of the Seeker. She is hideous! I don't know what it would be like in print, but on the cd, she comes across as a close relative to Delores Umbrage from the Harry Potter book. I don't know if I can take much more of her - please someone tell me - does it get any better? Should I stick it out??

My real rating is 2.5. I really think this would have been better presented as two books. The seeker did go off the radar in enough time to keep me going, to be replaced by a lot of drippy first love searing like the heat of the sun passages. It may be more appealing to the YA reader. Sure we all would love to be fought over by two handsome men who are strong in character and repeatedly saved by them, but her self sacrificing behaviors get a little grating. Glad to be done.

I was calling my 2.5 rating a 3, but I went back and changed it to a 2 because I felt I needed to distinguish myself more from the readers giving it a 5... ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book definitely has a different feel from "Twilight" et al --- b/c it *is* something different. While not nearly as fast-paced as the Twilight Series, curiosity for how things will turn out keeps you reading. I did read this over the course of two days and I didn't want to put it down, just like her previous books, so even though the feel was different it did carry me along.

I liked the ending; it was satisfying and touching. I didn't really engage very much, on an emotional level, until the very last several chapters. I think it is a fine foray into a new genre and audience for the author.

I would recommend this to patrons who are interested in Science Fiction or Fantasy. There is nothing objectionable in the book as far as language or sex or graphic violence (though fights are described). The caveat to "nothing objectionable" would be as long as the reader can handle the idea of another spirit inhabiting someone else's body and the idea of alien planets and beings. I thought it was a good, interesting read. ( )
  SaraMSLIS | Jan 26, 2016 |
My most loved book for more than 2 years now.
I can't believe I thought this book was so boring at first. After a while it turned to the most amazing read I ever had.
Such a thrilling and emotional read. ( )
  ThilW | Jan 26, 2016 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

De buitenaardse Zielen hebben de lichamen van bijna alle mensen overgenomen. Wandelaar is een ervaren Ziel. Ze wordt in het lichaam van de rebelse Melanie geplaatst, in de hoop dat ze achter de locatie van meer mensen kan komen. Wandelaar kan Melanie echter niet helemaal overmeesteren. Ze sluiten vriendschap en Melanie leidt haar naar een groep mensen die nog niet 'beZield' zijn. Het verhaal wordt verteld door de ogen van Wandelaar, waardoor het een originele kijk geeft op de mensheid: gewelddadig en kortzichtig, maar ook met prachtige, overweldigende emoties en ingewikkelde relaties. Naast dit psychologische element bevat het verhaal ook veel spanning. Wandelaar, maar ook veel van de andere personages, maakt een ontwikkeling door en het is niet moeilijk om je met Wandelaar te vereenzelvigen. Korte hoofdstukken met titels die uit een woord bestaan dat vooral op de gemoedstoestand of situatie van Wandelaar slaat. De auteur is bekend van haar 'Twilight'-serie voor jongeren. Ook hier gaat het om de relatie van een mens met niet-menselijke wezens. Prachtig, meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, M. Migchelsen

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316068047, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:09 -0400)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,048,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible