The Host: A Novel by Stephenie Meyer

The Host: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Stephenie Meyer

Authors:Stephenie Meyer
Info:Back Bay Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:YA, Own But Have Not Read

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

English (567)  German (6)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (582)
Um..
I hate to write a negative review so I will not.
I love Stephenie Meyer but I did NOT like this book and I will NOT be reading the rest of this series.
I love Paranormal but I am going to tell you that this Book was not for this girl right here.
The only thing I was happy with is that the book ended. This took forever to tell me nothing..

Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
It's no secret that I did not jump on the Twilight bandwagon. I put my name on the hold list at the library for The Host, however, because I wanted to see if Stephenie Meyer had improved in her storytelling. I'm happy to say, "Yes, she did. To a point."

I would like someone tell me what her fascination is with sappy, overly dramatic dialogue, 17-year old girls and over-protective older men who carry them while running? Because there are some definite similarities here.

I find it interesting that this novel is pegged for "adults" where the Twilight novels were pegged "young adult" as I don't see a great deal of difference, except for one main fact: Wanda and Melanie are likeable. Thank goodness. If one of them had shown up as whiny and annoying as Bella, I never would have finished the book. Well, I would have finished it, but only to say, "I told you so."

While I found a lot of similarity to the Twilight novels in her storytelling and in the details (over-protective older men, teenage girls, dramatic sappy dialogue, etc.) this was a much better story. Far more developed than I would have expected. It still takes her a long time to get to her main points, but I wasn't as bored with this one in the beginning as I was with Twilight.

I found the storyline fascinating: that aliens who invade other planets and take over the species, invade earth and take over the human bodies and then live as humans. Wanda is one of those aliens, a "soul" who takes over Melanie's body, only to find out that Melanie isn't quite ready to give it up. This is where Meyer's storytelling has improved. She crafted a story where the romance was secondary to the main plot, and I think that is why this book is so much better than her earlier attempts. She explores the idea of a person's soul or spirit and how an individual is defined as much by that spirit as by their physical body.

I thought her character development was well done. I liked these characters. I cared about them. I don't need to tell you that I never cared about Bella. I enjoyed the complexities that the storyline created. Wanda was affected by Melanie's memories and feelings and couldn't help but love the man Melanie loved. Then, when she found herself caring for a different man, the conflict is believable. The humans have a difficult time accepting Wanda, but when they do, she truly becomes one of them.

The novel ends neatly, with hope. Predictably there is room for a sequel, which I no doubt expect.

I'd actually re-read this book. I won't re-read the others. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

I'd actually re-read this book. I won't re-read the others. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

MarijaSabljic | Jun 28, 2016 |
Ding dong, this book is done! ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
The worst, and paradoxically the best, that can be said about The Host is that there is nothing really terrible about it. It did not cause me to twitch and groan at twisted metaphors or bad imagery (someday we will sit down and discuss the delights of Jackie Collins, shall we?). At no point did I scream “Get an editor, you moron!” as I’ve been known to do while reading… well, let’s call them Stephen K. and Anne R. Lack of internal logic did not cause me to hurl the book against the wall in frustration and disappointment. But, adequately written as it was, I can’t see myself recommending it to any of my BFFs, at least not to those who’ve done me any favors.

De buitenaardse Zielen hebben de lichamen van bijna alle mensen overgenomen. Wandelaar is een ervaren Ziel. Ze wordt in het lichaam van de rebelse Melanie geplaatst, in de hoop dat ze achter de locatie van meer mensen kan komen. Wandelaar kan Melanie echter niet helemaal overmeesteren. Ze sluiten vriendschap en Melanie leidt haar naar een groep mensen die nog niet 'beZield' zijn. Het verhaal wordt verteld door de ogen van Wandelaar, waardoor het een originele kijk geeft op de mensheid: gewelddadig en kortzichtig, maar ook met prachtige, overweldigende emoties en ingewikkelde relaties. Naast dit psychologische element bevat het verhaal ook veel spanning. Wandelaar, maar ook veel van de andere personages, maakt een ontwikkeling door en het is niet moeilijk om je met Wandelaar te vereenzelvigen. Korte hoofdstukken met titels die uit een woord bestaan dat vooral op de gemoedstoestand of situatie van Wandelaar slaat. De auteur is bekend van haar 'Twilight'-serie voor jongeren. Ook hier gaat het om de relatie van een mens met niet-menselijke wezens. Prachtig, meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, M. Migchelsen

and wind for an eye

with cloud for a shift
how will I hide?

-May Swenson
To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story.
The Healer’s name was Fords Deep Waters.
It’s a voluntary choice
He nuzzled his face against mine until he found my lips, then he kissed me, slow and gentle, the flow of molten rock swelling languidly in the dark at the center of the earth, until my shaking slowed.
‘Well, for Pete’s sake!’ Jeb exclaimed. ‘Can’t nobody keep a secret around this place for more’n 24 hours? Gol’ durn, this burns me up!’

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of being human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outsie forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316068047, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, May 2008: Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-yet-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:09 -0400)

The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed. But Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves--Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,509,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible