Spartan Gold by Clive Cussler

Spartan Gold (2009)

by Clive Cussler

Other authors: Grant Blackwood

Series: Fargo Adventure (1)

Sam and Remi Fargo are professional treasure hunters. In this first novel in a new series by Cussler they use their combined engineering, archaeological, hand-to-hand fighting and marksmanship skills to romp around the world looking for Napoleon's lost wine collection. Conveniently they are also multimillionaires so chartered jets and endless quantities of state of the art equipment are at their disposal at all times. If you can sufficiently suspend your disbelief this is actually hugely enjoyable and very easy to read. ( )
  cathymoore | Dec 13, 2013 |
### Product Description

**An ancient treasure stolen by Xerxes the Great . . .**

** Discovered by Napoleon Bonaparte . . .**

** The clues to its hidden location lost until now . . .**

* * *

** **Adventurers and treasure hunters Sam and Remi Fargo are on a wild-goose chase. Up to their waists in the Great Pocomoke Swamp in Maryland, they're hunting for lost gold. What they find instead is a small Second World War German U-boat.

Inside the submarine they find a body - and a puzzling, incredibly rare bottle of wine. This bottle was one of twelve taken from Napoleon's 'lost cellar'. But it is also a clue to a fabulous, ancient treasure.

One that Hadeon Bondaruk - a half-Russian, half-Persian millionaire - will do anything to get his hands on. For he claims descent from treasure's one-time owner.

It will be his, no matter who stands in his way . . .

### About the Author

**Clive Cussler** is the author or co-author of a great number of international bestsellers, including the famous Dirk Pitt« adventures, such as_ Arctic Drift_; the NUMA├é┬« Files adventures, most recently_ Medusa_; the_ Oregon_ Files, such as_ The Silent Sea_; and the Isaac Bell Adventures, which began with_ The Chase_._ Lost Empire _is the second book in the highly successful new series - the *Fargo*_ _Adventures. He lives in Arizona. www.clivecussler.co.uk

**Grant Blackwood**, a U.S. Navy veteran, spent three years aboard a guided missile frigate as operations specialist and pilot rescue swimmer. The author of the Briggs Tanner series, he's the co-author of *Spartan Gold*, and lives in Colorado.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Nice to have a change of characters. The book was entertaining and fast to read. ( )
  .itsel30 | Jun 27, 2013 |
I've read a number of Cussler books over the years, and have enjoyed every one. This was no exception. The story was entertaining, and the characters (although somewhat stereotypical) were engaging. I did have a few problems with it, though. The writing wasn't up to the standard I expected. There were a couple of grammatical errors, and in many places the exact same phrasing was repeated in consecutive sentences. This change in style may be due to Cussler collaborating with another author. I'm not sure. Small points, I know, but I found them distracting. My main concern was an unexpected number of typographical errors. I borrowed this book from my library through our new eBook program with OverDrive. A simple proofreading would have caught most (if not all) typos. I hope this isn't going to be a trend with OverDrive material.

Overall, a very good book, and I will be reading the others in the series. I definitely recommend it to those who enjoy "adventure" type books. I suspect that's mostly older men (40's and up). It seems to be popular with our patrons, since it was the first of our OverDrive eBooks to get placed on hold by another patron. I think we may need to order more of Cussler's books. ( )
  grothenberger | Apr 11, 2013 |
Not my usual read, but I thought I'd break it up with something different. This is an adventure story about a treasure hunting married couple on their quest to find 12 lost wine bottles from Napoleon's "lost cellar." But believing that these bottles hold the key to finding the secret treasure of Xerxes I, the book's villain will stop at nothing to get to them first.

I'd never read anything by Clive Cussler before this; his stuff always seemed to be like something my dad would read. I don't say that like it's a negative, just an observation and a speculation of the target audience. I can certainly see why his books are so popular, though. There's lots of action and adventure as our main protagonists the Fargos solve riddles and uncover secrets in a way that is reminiscent of the DaVinci Code.

The only problem is, it's just not too thrilling or suspenseful. Sam and Remi Fargo are a couple of goody-two-shoes always letting their adversaries go free, allowing them to ambush them another day. Sam and Remi always seem to stay a step ahead, but the villains end up catching up, there's usually a struggle, the Fargos win and capture the villains, and then let them go. This cycle must have repeated itself a few more times before the tension just left me for good. ( )
  stefferoo | Mar 8, 2013 |
The Fargos are interesting characters who should develop along with the series, and Cussler gives us his usual history lesson tied to a fast-moving thriller.

Clive Cusslerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackwood, Grantsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Treasure hunters Sam and Remi Fargo are shocked to discover a bottle of a rare wine taken from Napoleon's lost cellar. However, someone else is also searching for this treasure.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,399,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible