Spartan Gold by Clive Cussler

Spartan Gold (2009)

by Clive Cussler

Other authors: Grant Blackwood

Series: Fargo Adventure (1)

Recently added byarena100, Tutter, wcs53, private library, MHottel, lschroeter, puggle72, cherrycoker

Thousands of years ago, the mighty Persian king Xerxes the Great was said to have raided the Treasury at Delphi, carrying away two solid gold pillars as a tribute to his glory. In 1800, while crossing the Pennine Alps, Napoleon Bonaparte and his army stumble across the pillars. Unable to transport them, Napoleon created an inscrutable map on the labels of twelve bottles of rare wine. When Napoleon dies, the bottles disappear - and the gold pillars... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 26, 2015 |
Sam and Remi Fargo are professional treasure hunters. In this first novel in a new series by Cussler they use their combined engineering, archaeological, hand-to-hand fighting and marksmanship skills to romp around the world looking for Napoleon's lost wine collection. Conveniently they are also multimillionaires so chartered jets and endless quantities of state of the art equipment are at their disposal at all times. If you can sufficiently suspend your disbelief this is actually hugely enjoyable and very easy to read. ( )
  cathymoore | Dec 13, 2013 |
### Product Description

**An ancient treasure stolen by Xerxes the Great . . .**

** Discovered by Napoleon Bonaparte . . .**

** The clues to its hidden location lost until now . . .**

* * *

** **Adventurers and treasure hunters Sam and Remi Fargo are on a wild-goose chase. Up to their waists in the Great Pocomoke Swamp in Maryland, they're hunting for lost gold. What they find instead is a small Second World War German U-boat.

Inside the submarine they find a body - and a puzzling, incredibly rare bottle of wine. This bottle was one of twelve taken from Napoleon's 'lost cellar'. But it is also a clue to a fabulous, ancient treasure.

One that Hadeon Bondaruk - a half-Russian, half-Persian millionaire - will do anything to get his hands on. For he claims descent from treasure's one-time owner.

It will be his, no matter who stands in his way . . .

### About the Author

**Clive Cussler** is the author or co-author of a great number of international bestsellers, including the famous Dirk Pitt« adventures, such as_ Arctic Drift_; the NUMA├é┬« Files adventures, most recently_ Medusa_; the_ Oregon_ Files, such as_ The Silent Sea_; and the Isaac Bell Adventures, which began with_ The Chase_._ Lost Empire _is the second book in the highly successful new series - the *Fargo*_ _Adventures. He lives in Arizona. www.clivecussler.co.uk

**Grant Blackwood**, a U.S. Navy veteran, spent three years aboard a guided missile frigate as operations specialist and pilot rescue swimmer. The author of the Briggs Tanner series, he's the co-author of *Spartan Gold*, and lives in Colorado.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Nice to have a change of characters. The book was entertaining and fast to read. ( )
  .itsel30 | Jun 27, 2013 |
I've read a number of Cussler books over the years, and have enjoyed every one. This was no exception. The story was entertaining, and the characters (although somewhat stereotypical) were engaging. I did have a few problems with it, though. The writing wasn't up to the standard I expected. There were a couple of grammatical errors, and in many places the exact same phrasing was repeated in consecutive sentences. This change in style may be due to Cussler collaborating with another author. I'm not sure. Small points, I know, but I found them distracting. My main concern was an unexpected number of typographical errors. I borrowed this book from my library through our new eBook program with OverDrive. A simple proofreading would have caught most (if not all) typos. I hope this isn't going to be a trend with OverDrive material.

Overall, a very good book, and I will be reading the others in the series. I definitely recommend it to those who enjoy "adventure" type books. I suspect that's mostly older men (40's and up). It seems to be popular with our patrons, since it was the first of our OverDrive eBooks to get placed on hold by another patron. I think we may need to order more of Cussler's books. ( )
  grothenberger | Apr 11, 2013 |
The Fargos are interesting characters who should develop along with the series, and Cussler gives us his usual history lesson tied to a fast-moving thriller.

Clive Cusslerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blackwood, Grantsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Treasure hunters Sam and Remi Fargo are shocked to discover a bottle of a rare wine taken from Napoleon's lost cellar. However, someone else is also searching for this treasure.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,727,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible