Spartan Gold (Fargo Adventure Series #1) by…

Spartan Gold (Fargo Adventure Series #1) (original 2009; edition 2010)

by Clive / Blackwood Cussler, Grant

Member:librarymom6
Title:Spartan Gold (Fargo Adventure Series #1)
Authors:Clive / Blackwood Cussler, Grant
Info:Berkley Pub Group 2010-08-31 (2010), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:12/12, Napoleon

Spartan Gold by Clive Cussler (2009)

First book in new Cussler series. Sam and Remi Fargo are apparently capable of anything! Good job they have plenty of money to finance their adventures. Very good at clue finding, riddle solving and treasure hunting. Fun read but the ending is a little too simple. ( )
  Alan1946 | Jun 25, 2016 |
I loved the action and adventure in this book, and was always waiting to find the next clue on the adventure. But (slight spoiler) at the point in the book where they had to break into the bad guys lair to steal the next clue, it lost me. It was kind of cliche, something I had seen in maybe a half dozen movies, at least, and I was hoping for something a little different. After that point, it picked up a little bit, but never to the same level of anticipation I held before, so I was a little disappointed. Since I hear this is a book a lot of his regular fans were disappointed in, I will still continue with this series and read others, so hopefully this was just a fluke. ( )
  Krild13 | Jun 10, 2016 |
Spartan Gold is the first book in a new series penned by Grant Blackwood. The Fargos are "treasure hunters and adventurers." Sam's background is mechanical engineering and Remi's is in anthropology and history, but both appear to be polymaths. In their line of work, they have ample opportunity to put their numerous skills to good use.

As the novel opens, the Fargo's are hip deep in the muck of a Maryland swamp. They're looking for buried treasure, but what they find is something altogether unexpected. It's a Nazi-era German mini-sub, very, very far from where one would expect to find such a thing. An attempt to get the scoop on local rumors of such an anomaly is aborted by their source's kidnapping right before their eyes. After the Fargos free their friend from the professional operative interrogating him about a shard of a wine bottle he found in the Pocomoke, the plot really takes off. So begins a cat and mouse chase across the globe. It's an epic scavenger hunt with high stakes. Along the way, there's breath-taking scenery and a few history lessons leading up to the inevitable showdown between the good guys and the bad guys.

How much you like this book depends a lot on how much you like Sam and Remi as characters. Their dialogue and tastes reminded me of Nick and Nora Charles, but their ability to mix it up with baddies is more like Charlie's Angels. Sam and Remi rely more on thinking, deception, and martial arts than on brute force . . . but they can shoot straight when they have to. I found that they grew on me as the book went along. I think that the authors didn't do enough to establish their backgrounds in the book's beginning. But it's the first... give it a chance. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Up to his usual standard ( )
  John.Reeve | May 4, 2016 |
Spartan Gold is a fairly quick paced yarn from the Cussler library. Enjoyable, but stretched the imagination a bit. ( )
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
The Fargos are interesting characters who should develop along with the series, and Cussler gives us his usual history lesson tied to a fast-moving thriller.

Clive Cusslerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blackwood, Grantsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Treasure hunters Sam and Remi Fargo are shocked to discover a bottle of a rare wine taken from Napoleon's lost cellar. However, someone else is also searching for this treasure.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,804,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible