The Merry Misogynist by Colin Cotterill

The Merry Misogynist

by Colin Cotterill

English (26)  German (1)  All languages (27)
Read this straight after the Pogo book and liked it a lot. Enjoyed the messing around in noodle shops and temples despite the misogynist..... Relaxing but engaging. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
If you've never read the Dr. Siri series, Dr. Siri is a 70 something pathologist, forced out of retirement and back into Laotian government service as the only pathologist in the country after the communist takeover.

This is the 6th volume of the series. A woman's body comes into Dr Siri's morgue. She was found brutally raped and murdered and tied to a tree with pink ribbons. A bit of nosing around, and Siri hears rumors of other women murdered the same way.

With the help of his indwelling ten thousand year old shaman and a ghost dog, Siri goes on the hunt.

I always, I enjoyed Siri's wicked sense of humor. I also enjoy Siri's interactions with the other recurring characters in the story. They are so well realized, that after reading a few in the series, they feel like old friends or even family. I also enjoyed the ending. Nope, I didn't have it solved and enjoyed the tension as the last scenes unfolded.

However, the story was a bit brutal for me; I enjoy mysteries and true crime, but brutality can make me shy away from certain authors.

I'll definitely continue on with the series ( )
  streamsong | Apr 6, 2018 |
Love this series. ( )
  Shelda17 | Jul 10, 2017 |
serial-killer, series, murder-investigation, laos, historical-fiction, historical-places-events, history-and-culture, sly-humor

Despite my aversion to books that delve into the mind of a serial killer, I still had to give this whodunit 5 stars because it was so diabolically done. I really don't deal in spoilers, so I'm not sure what else I can say, except that it is certainly worth the read.
Clive Chafer continues to be excellent as narrator. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Jul 8, 2017 |
The year is 1978 and Dr. Siri Paiboun is 73, soon to be 74. He has married 66 year old Madame Daeng, a noodle shop owner. When we first connect with Siri and Daeng they are trying to outsmart the Department of Housing. The overbearing department is after Siri for living with Madame Daeng instead of in his own government issued house. His own home is filled to the gills with wayward characters: a puppet master, a widow with two kids, two supposedly reformed prostitutes, a supposedly nonpracticing monk, a blind beggar and his granddaughter and let's not forget the two twin babies Siri offered to look after from the last book, ( )
  SeriousGrace | Oct 6, 2016 |
To my wife, Jessi, who rescued me from misogynous ways and turned me into a big soft thing.

To Anhan, Valérie, David, Lizzie, Dad, Tony, Kay, Martina, Dr. Pongruk, and Bounlan for their invaluable help and to Ethel Appleyard, who did me the great favor of producing me.

Long overdue thanks to Richard Curtis and Laura Hruska for launching and subsequently suffering me.

Aaaaand, a special thanks to all of you who have been helping with the Books for Laos project (www.colincotterill.com).
By the time the calendar pages had flipped around to 1978, Vientiane, the capital of the People's Democratic Republic of Laos, had become a dour place to live.

In poverty-stricken 1978 Laos, Dr. Siri Paiboun, the national coroner, sets out to investigate a serial killer who ties lovely young female victims to trees.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,829,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible