The Ghosts of Belfast by Stuart Neville

The Ghosts of Belfast (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Stuart Neville

Member:kraaivrouw
Title:The Ghosts of Belfast
Authors:Stuart Neville
Info:Soho Crime (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012
Rating:*****
Tags:Stuart Neville, crime fiction, Belfast

The Ghosts of Belfast by Stuart Neville (2009)

I wasn't sure if I'd like this book because of the violence, but somehow the author made the main character sympathetic despite his past. Really great writing...I could see the "ghosts" as I read the story. A haunting story. ( )
  NHNick | Jan 5, 2015 |
Very good - a fast paced thriller that didn't sacrifice character development in the process. It's labeled as #1 in the Jack Lennon series, but seems more of a prequel. Jack Lennon is a part of the lives of some of the characters, but is not featured in this book. ( )
  Ann_Louise | Sep 26, 2014 |
Violent and compelling. Makes me want to understand more about all sides of the conflicts in Northern Ireland--and it appears that there were as many sides as people to interpret them. ( )
  KRoan | Jul 25, 2014 |
This is one of the best debuts by an author I have ever read. As the reader you always feel as if you are right there with the narrator. I could not put this book down.
The book is about a former IRA foot solider and killer Gerry Fegan, who has served time in prison of some of his actions but who is haunted by the victims of those he killed. He realizes the only way to end this torture is to go after those who are responsible for him have killed these twelve people.
I can not recommend this book enough, it is fantastic!
P.S. Some scenes are rather gruesome. ( )
  zmagic69 | May 4, 2014 |
The Ghosts of Belfast is the story of Gerry Fegan an ex-hitman for the IRA. After leaving Maze Prison Gerry starts drinking and is nearly drunk every night, and he starts to see the ghosts of twelve people he has killed and they want vengeance on those who were responsible. All Gerry wants is to sleep aand have some peace so he plans the murders. This is a well written and informative book about the IRA. The characters are well thought out, there is alot of violence and brutal murders.
I highly recommend this book. Thank you to Net Galley and Soho Crime for allowing me to read and give my honest review of this fine novel. ( )
  druidgirl | Jan 26, 2014 |
A crime novel that counts among the best brought out this calendar year... "The Ghosts of Belfast" would have been a superior effort had it been just about Fegan's struggle to assert his inner goodness in the face of larger evil, but its narrative power draws further strength from Neville's acute understanding of Northern Ireland's true state and how, in just a few short years, "the North had become the poor relation, the bastard child no one had the heart to send away."

Stuart Nevilleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Doyle, GerardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gontermann, ArminTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'The place that lacks its ghosts is a barren place' John Hewitt
For Ellen Emerald Neville
Maybe if he had one more drink they'd leave him alone.
Published in the USA as The Ghosts of Belfast Published in the UK as The Twelve

Former IRA killer Gerry Fegan finds himself haunted by the ghosts of twelve of his innocent victims and comes to the conclusion that he must kill the men who gave him his orders so many years ago.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,122,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible