Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David

Sir Apropos of Nothing (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Peter David

Member:Anasurimbor
Title:Sir Apropos of Nothing
Authors:Peter David
Info:Pocket (2002), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:anti-hero, fantasy, humor, puns, parody, satire, phoenix, unicorns, harpies, King Runcible, Princess Entipy, Apropos

Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David (2001)

The Philosophical Strangler by Eric Flint (DemetriosX)
    DemetriosX: Very similar senses of humor and narrative viewpoints.
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Alliebadger)
    Alliebadger: Both take fantasy conventions and make a fool of them. They also have protagonists that are self-centered. I didn't care for either one for the same reasons, so if you like one you'll probably like the other!
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (salamander_scales)
    salamander_scales: anti-hero, satire, fantasy

I loved Peter David's Star Trek books, and I love fantasy, so I thought I would very much enjoy Apropos. I was sad to discover I did not. There are definitely many laugh-out-loud moments, and this is a very unique take on the fantasy novel. But I found Apropos so unlikeable that I had trouble reading 647 pages of him. I've known people like him in real life and they're incredibly unpleasant to be with, so I just couldn't get those experiences out of my head. Others may definitely like this book, but I didn't. ( )
  Alliebadger | Oct 1, 2011 |
"Don't judge a book by its cover." That's what they always say, but that's the only reason I picked this novel up. It had an incomprehensible name, a curly haired asshole, and a giant bird flying in the background. I bought it without even reading the synopsis. I am so glad I did. This book is an absolute hoot! Sex, murder, and sarcasm. what else could a teenage bookworm ask for? Granted, the literary quality leaves much to be desired and there's not much in the way of a "hero" to root for. However, for the 12-18 age range this book is just pure fun without a lot of mental strain. ( )
  tuckerfrye | Jul 31, 2010 |
This book is terribly written. You know the old adage "show, don't tell?" Apparently nobody told Peter David. The book reads as if he had no idea where the story was going and just made things up as he went along, things work out too conveniently and the characters are not very likeable. I'd planned on giving this book one star, but in the end it was kind of entertaining and to be honest I would consider reading the sequels if I came across them for free and wanted a mindless read. ( )
  TinuvielDancing | Jan 19, 2010 |
The main Character, Apropros is the result of a rape by the King's very honorable knights on a starry eyed Tavern Maid. His life really doesn't get much better from there. Apropros grows up to be selfish and cold-hearted. The death of his Mother brings him to the capital, where he finds himself appointed a squire. From there, he begins his adventure of trying to stay out of trouble, but when he gets appointed to escort the princess home from school, things go from bad to worst, where Apropros goes between doing whats right and trying to save his own skin.

The book was hard to read. At times, the story was slow. The characters are hard to like. Apropros spends a lot of time whining about how sad his life is or Entripy, the Princess, who is cold and high maintenance and seems to have no redeeming factors, even after spending the winter as a tavern maid and learning honest work. There are parts of this book that made me cringe but is necessary to the story and is in character with the nature of the book.

What makes this book different from all the other fantasy books out there is that instead of a cute fantasy book where the pigman's son marries the princess after defeating the dragon by a sword, you get characters that seem to follow the traditional fantasy roles but the characters are much more deeper and their motives are more true to life. This book is like the real story behind the much edited and changed cute story that is told hundreds of years later. ( )
2 vote TheDivineOomba | Jul 5, 2008 |
I really enjoyed this book, even if it did take a while for me to get into. The side jokes and the way the author puts the world together is really worth the read.

It did bother me how Apropos got rid of his childhood friend. I understand what the author was going for, but the brutality of how it happened seemed too much and honestly made me dislike Apropos quite a lot as a character. ( )
  solanges | Dec 28, 2007 |
To Jo Duffy, who was the first to believe
As I stood there with the sword in my hand, the blade dripping blood on the floor, I couldn't help but wonder if the blood belonged to my father.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743412346, Mass Market Paperback)

They were dark and stormy knights...and when they had their way with a helpless tavern wench one terrible evening, they had no idea that the result of that twilight brutality was going to come after them years later looking to settle the score... The "result's" unlikely name is Apropos: A rogue, a rascal, a scoundrel, a cheat...and those are his good points. Lame of leg but fast of wit, the only reason Apropos doesn't consider chivalry dead is because he's not yet through with it. Herewith, Sir Apropos of Nothing -- his story in the words of the knave himself. Apropos, all too aware of his violent and unseemly beginnings, travels to the court of the good King Runcible, with three goals in mind: to find his father, seek retribution, and line his own pockets. However, Apropos carries the most troublesome burden a would-be harbinger of chaos can bear: He may well be a hero foretold, a young man of destiny. It is not a notion that Apropos finds palatable, having very low regard for such notions as honor, selflessness, or risking one's neck. Yet when Apropos finds himself assigned as squire to the most senile knight in the court -- Sir Umbrage of the Flaming Nether Regions, whose squires tend to have a rather short life span -- Apropos is forced to rise to the occasion lest he be dragged under -- permanently. His difficulties are compounded when a routine mission to escort the King's daughter home after a long absence goes horribly awry. Suddenly Apropos finds himself saddled with trying to survive while dealing with a berserk phoenix, murderous unicorns, mutated harpies, homicidal warrior kings, and -- most problematic of all -- a princess who may or may not be a psychotic arsonist. Featuring a hero cut from cloth similar to that of such entertaining blackguards as Blackadder and Flashman, Sir Apropos of Nothing is a skewed version of classic, mythic adventure that is by turns hilarious and frightening, slapstick and serious, and filled with drop-dead laughs and drop-dead people.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:51 -0400)

"They were dark and stormy knights...and when they had their way with a helpless tavern wench one terrible evening, they had no idea that the result of that twilight brutality was going to come after them years later looking to settle the score." "The "result's" unlikely name is Apropos: A rogue, a rascal, a scoundrel, a cheat...and those are his good points. Lame of leg but fast of wit, the only reason Apropos doesn't consider chivalry dead is because he's not yet through with it. Herewith, Sir Apropos of Nothing - his story in the words of the knave himself." "Apropos, all too aware of his violent and unseemly beginnings, travels to the court of the good King Runcible, with three goals in mind: to find his father, seek retribution, and line his own pockets. However, Apropos carries the most troublesome burden a would-be harbinger of chaos can bear: He may well be a hero foretold, a young man of destiny. It is not a notion that Apropos finds palatable, having very low regard for such notions as honor, selflessness, or risking one's neck. Yet when Apropos finds himself assigned as squire to the most senile knight in the court - Sir Umbrage of the Flaming Nether Regions, whose squires tend to have a rather short life span - Apropos is forced to rise to the occason lest he be dragged under - permanently." "His difficulties are compounded when a routine mission to escort the King's daughter home after a long absence goes horribly awry. Suddenly Apropos finds himself saddled with trying to survive while dealing with a berserk phoenix, murderous unicorns, mutated harpies, homicidal warrior kings, and - most problematic of all - a princess who may or may not be a psychotic arsonist."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,321,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible