Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers…

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers (2003)

by Mary Roach

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach (alaskabookworm)
    The Mummy Congress: Science, Obsession, and the Everlasting Dead by Heather Pringle (FFortuna)
    A Traffic of Dead Bodies: Anatomy and Embodied Social Identity in Nineteenth-Century America by Michael Sappol (meggyweg)
    Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory by Caitlin Doughty (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These engaging, unusual accounts deal with the human body after death. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes wittily relates the work of an assistant in a crematorium, while Stiff presents an entertaining account of what happens with cadavers.
    Lenin's Embalmers by Ilya Zbarsky (bertilak)
    The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York by Deborah Blum (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Shocked : adventures in bringing back the recently dead by David Casarett M.D. (juglicerr)
    juglicerr: If you liked either on of these books, I recommend trying the other author. Both offer nitty-gritty medical details leavened with humor, which helps make the gross details more bearable. For my money, Mary Roach is funnier, but I thoroughly enjoyed both authors… (more)
    Working stiff : two years, 262 bodies, and the making of a medical examiner by Judy Melinek (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Shadow King: The Bizarre Afterlife of King Tut's Mummy by Jo Marchant (sboyte)
    No Stone Unturned: The Story of Necrosearch International Investigators by Steve Jackson (grizzly.anderson)
    The Dead Janitors Club: Pathetically True Tales of a Crime Scene Cleanup King by Jeff Klima (infiniteletters)
    Never Suck A Dead Man's Hand: Curious Adventures of a CSI by Dana Kollmann (meggyweg)
    The Red Market: On the Trail of the World's Organ Brokers, Bone Thieves, Blood Farmers, and Child Traffickers by Scott Carney (meggyweg)
    The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the Ocean by Susan Casey (MyriadBooks)
    Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell (jbarry)

English (312)  Italian (3)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (317)
I espied this book years ago when it was released, but figured people would find me odd if they caught me reading it. Many years later, I'm like, so totally over that. So I picked the book up, and enjoyed it. She discusses the fate of the human decedent from every angle possible and sprinkles the book with enough rather sharp humor to keep things from descending into morbidity. Very educational.
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
I really enjoyed learning about the history (good and bad) of cadavers, even though I sometimes felt that the author was a little too light-hearted and possibly insensitive to some topics. Overall though, she did an incredibly thorough job in exploring all the dimensions of a cadaver's "life" if you will, and definitely gave me some food for thought. I would love to learn more on the subject, and any book that can prompt that must be worth something :) ( )
  sandye33 | May 19, 2015 |
WARNING: This book is NOT for the squeamish, the fainthearted or the weak-stomached (especially the chapter on the many forms of cannibalism -- yes, there are 'forms'). The contents are intriguing and fascinatingly gross! The author delivers them with strategically injected tongue-in-cheek humor that will elicit at least a smile despite the subject concerned, and sometimes you'd just burst out laughing. But then again, that's just me -- a curious cat with a warped sense of humor! You? Well, you've been warned; proceed at your own risk!
  MomsterBookworm | May 14, 2015 |
An interesting read. The author approaches the subject with curiosity, reverence and a sense of humor. I learned a lot on a subject about which I had very little prior knowledge.
  EllsbethB | May 9, 2015 |
It may be a bit gruesome, but Mary Roach approaches this subject with repect and knowledge. Her added humor at the right moment made this educational and entertaining to read. ( )
  klarsenmd | Apr 19, 2015 |
For wonderful Ed
The human head is of the same approximate size and weight as a roaster chicken.
The way I see it, being dead is not terribly far off from being on a cruise ship. (Introduction)

"One of the funniest and most unusual books of the year....Gross, educational, and unexpectedly sidesplitting."—Entertainment Weekly

Stiff is an oddly compelling, often hilarious exploration of the strange lives of our bodies postmortem. For two thousand years, cadavers—some willingly, some unwittingly—have been involved in science's boldest strides and weirdest undertakings. They've tested France's first guillotines, ridden the NASA Space Shuttle, been crucified in a Parisian laboratory to test the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin, and helped solve the mystery of TWA Flight 800. For every new surgical procedure, from heart transplants to gender reassignment surgery, cadavers have been there alongside surgeons, making history in their quiet way.

In this fascinating, ennobling account, Mary Roach visits the good deeds of cadavers over the centuries—from the anatomy labs and human-sourced pharmacies of medieval and nineteenth-century Europe to a human decay research facility in Tennessee, to a plastic surgery practice lab, to a Scandinavian funeral directors' conference on human composting. In her droll, inimitable voice, Roach tells the engrossing story of our bodies when we are no longer with them.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:43 -0400)

Stiff is an oddly compelling, often hilarious exploration of the strange lives of our bodies postmortem. For two thousand years, cadavers-some willingly, some unwittingly-have been involved in science's boldest strides and weirdest undertakings. In this fascinating account, Mary Roach visits the good deeds of cadavers over the centuries and tells the engrossing story of our bodies when we are no longer with them.… (more)

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393324826, 0393050939

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,888,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible