Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers…

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Mary Roach

Member:TequilaReader
Title:Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
Authors:Mary Roach
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:anatomy, anthropology, autopsy, biology, cadavers, corpses, death, forensics, funerals, history, medicine, medical, science, sociology, non-fiction

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach (2003)

English (301)  Italian (3)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (306)
The first half was repetitive and I didn't get into it until the second part. Let's just say this book made me want to compost myself when I die. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the tone of this book. It was written in a respectful way, but the author's sarcastic personality really shines through and made me laugh. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
From Book Obsession: http://bookobsessiongpl.blogspot.com/2013/06/kearstens-book-club-may-and-june-st...

"May: Stiff : The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach.

Mary Roach seems like she'd be a pretty interesting person to hang out with. In Stiff, she takes you, the reader, through the world of human cadavers, and all the ways they have been and are now being used to further scientific discovery, safety, forensics, and even plastic surgery.

Our discussion of this book was all over the place. For awhile, we discussed the most disgusting aspects of Roach's storytelling; for example, an hours-long bladder surgery (performed before anesthesia was available) was horrifically described, and the chapter titled "Eat Me" made me gag a couple of times, no lie.

We then made our way to cloning, then to the ethics of scientific research and we traveled all over that map: would you donate your body to science? What would or wouldn't you want it used for? Should family members be notified of the use?

We had a blast discussing this one, and definitely recommend you try it out. Already read it? Try one of these teen-recommended read-a-likes!

The Violinist's Thumb by Sam Kean. "In THE VIOLINIST'S THUMB, [Kean] explores the wonders of the magical building block of life: DNA. There are genes to explain crazy cat ladies, why other people have no fingerprints, and why some people survive nuclear bombs. Genes illuminate everything from JFK's bronze skin (it wasn't a tan) to Einstein's genius. They prove that Neanderthals and humans bred thousands of years more recently than any of us would feel comfortable thinking. They can even allow some people, because of the exceptional flexibility of their thumbs and fingers, to become truly singular violinists."

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor Southern tobacco farmer who worked the same land as her slave ancestors, yet her cells--taken without her knowledge--became one of the most important tools in medicine. The first "immortal" human cells grown in culture, they are still alive today, though she has been dead for more than sixty years. If you could pile all HeLa cells ever grown onto a scale, they'd weigh more than 50 million metric tons--as much as a hundred Empire State Buildings. HeLa cells were vital for developing the polio vaccine; uncovered secrets of cancer, viruses, and the atom bomb's effects; helped lead to important advances like in vitro fertilization, cloning, and gene mapping; and have been bought and sold by the billions.

An American Plague by Jim Murphy. It's 1793, and there's an invisible killer roaming the streets of Philadelphia. The city's residents are fleeing in fear. This killer has a name--yellow fever--but everything else about it is a mystery. Its cause is unknown and there is no cure. This [book] traces the devastating course of the epidemic. [The book] offers a ... glimpse into the conditions in American cities at the time of our nation's birth while drawing thought-provoking parallels to modern-day epidemics." ( )
  kayceel | Aug 12, 2014 |
Gross, entertaining, enlightening and fun. Mary Roach has a knack for these characteristics and for that I am happy. ( )
  dtn620 | May 22, 2014 |
Mary Roach set off to find out all about dead human bodies in this book. She looks at the biology of what happens when we die, various things that can happen when a body (or parts of a body) are donated to science (crash test bodies, anyone? Or maybe testing bullets?), some of the history of what people did with dead bodies, including various experiments, cannibalism, and (of particular interest to me) she looked at more environmentally-friendly ways to dispose of a body (though this was published over 10 years ago, so I suspect more has happened with this in the meantime). Plus more.

Despite sections of gore, I really liked this book. I found it very interesting, and Roach often keeps things humourous! This is only the second book I've read by her, and I liked this better than Spook. ( )
  LibraryCin | Apr 29, 2014 |
For wonderful Ed
The human head is of the same approximate size and weight as a roaster chicken.
The way I see it, being dead is not terribly far off from being on a cruise ship. (Introduction)

"One of the funniest and most unusual books of the year....Gross, educational, and unexpectedly sidesplitting."—Entertainment Weekly

Stiff is an oddly compelling, often hilarious exploration of the strange lives of our bodies postmortem. For two thousand years, cadavers—some willingly, some unwittingly—have been involved in science's boldest strides and weirdest undertakings. They've tested France's first guillotines, ridden the NASA Space Shuttle, been crucified in a Parisian laboratory to test the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin, and helped solve the mystery of TWA Flight 800. For every new surgical procedure, from heart transplants to gender reassignment surgery, cadavers have been there alongside surgeons, making history in their quiet way.

In this fascinating, ennobling account, Mary Roach visits the good deeds of cadavers over the centuries—from the anatomy labs and human-sourced pharmacies of medieval and nineteenth-century Europe to a human decay research facility in Tennessee, to a plastic surgery practice lab, to a Scandinavian funeral directors' conference on human composting. In her droll, inimitable voice, Roach tells the engrossing story of our bodies when we are no longer with them.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:46 -0400)

Stiff is an oddly compelling, often hilarious exploration of the strange lives of our bodies postmortem. For two thousand years, cadavers-some willingly, some unwittingly-have been involved in science's boldest strides and weirdest undertakings. In this fascinating account, Mary Roach visits the good deeds of cadavers over the centuries and tells the engrossing story of our bodies when we are no longer with them.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

Two editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393324826, 0393050939

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,367,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible