Street Magic (The Circle Opens, Book 2) by…
1,918193,572 (4)30
Member:booksandwine
Title:Street Magic (The Circle Opens, Book 2)
Authors:Tamora Pierce
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 264 pages

Street Magic by Tamora Pierce (2001)

After becoming a council-recognized mage in his own right (at only 13!), Briar and his crotchety teacher Rosethorn start traveling their world, seeking new magics and spreading knowledge of their own. Briar has taken to cultivating the magical equivalent of bonsai trees, and while selling them in the bazaar he discovers a young street kid has magic. Convincing her to listen to him takes a great deal of effort--Evvy's as skittish as her bevy of cats--but eventually she agrees to be taught. The only problem is, the only stonemage in the area refuses to teach her. Briar is only a teenager himself, and his plant magic is utterly unlike Evvy's own stone magic, but seeing no either options he begins to teach her. But then a bored and power-hungry noblewoman starts a gang war, and Evvy has to work with her only half-realized magic to survive.

Briar is a goddamn badass in this book. He's my least favorite of the Circle mages (only because I love Daja, Tris, and Sandry so hard--he's a perfectly cromulent character), and it's easy to think that the magic of living plants is too slow and subtle to be useful in battle. Not so. Briar tangles his foes in vines, tortures them with pollen (almost killing one of them), even sets a tree to eat a guard from the inside out. He is a scary dude when he's riled. The action scenes in Pierce's novels are by far my favorite part, because as wonderful as her world-building and character development are, her action is just that much better. She is probably one of the best action writers working today.

Edited to add: also, Briar and Rosethorn's seed bombs are totally a real thing! So exciting! ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Briar is my favourite character of the quartet, so I was very excited to be reading his book. I always enjoyed reading his personality. His thought process was always amusing.

Once again, Tamora Pierce has impressed me. She creates a world which is both enjoyable and easy to read, and I found myself taking in every word. What I wished for (like in book one) was interaction between the quartet, and I feel that is what is missing for this series.

However, nonetheless, most enjoyable anyway, and I look forward to be reading the following 2 books. ( )
  ashooles | Nov 16, 2013 |
Briar becomes involved in local gang wars when he takes an interest in a young stone mage.

Briar and Rosethorn are some of my favorites, and I enjoy the new student Evvy as well. I'm looking forward to watching her grow with her expanding cat colony. ( )
  alwright1 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Listened to the Full Cast Audio CD edition. Previously read. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
No where near as good as the other books in the "Circle Opens" series. I constantly found my attention wandering, and had to go back to see what actually happened. Part of this was because I just didn't care for Evy much, and part of it was the distinct lack of Briar doing any magic for himself. ( )
  Kiwiria | Mar 30, 2013 |

Hobin, ToddMusicsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schoenherr, IanMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TheronCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Watkins, LiselotteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the city of Chammur, on the eastern border of Sotat: For centuries it had been called, "fabled Chammur," "Chammur of the Flamming Heights," and "Mighty Chammur."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0590396439, Mass Market Paperback)

Part of the 8-book Tamora Pierce reissue for Fall 2006, this title in the Circle Opens quartet features spellbinding new cover art. Coincides with the release of WILL OF THE EMPRESS in trade pb.

Briar Moss been training four years as a plant mage, but he hasn't put his past behind him. He meets a street girl, Evvy, using powerful magic to polish stones for a merchant, and resolves to find her a teacher. But Briar understands the city's gangs as well as he understands Evvy. When gang warfare breaks out, he discovers that the fiercest gang is seeking a stone mage to lead them to hidden gems. Only Briar and his magic can offer Evvy protection. Swept up in a bloody conflict, Briar must decide if he's ready to make the final step away from his former life as a "street rat".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:37 -0400)

Former "street rat" Briar Moss must face his past when he discovers a young mage in need of a mentor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,506,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible