The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens

The Sheriff of Yrnameer

by Michael Rubens

Meet Cole: hapless space rogue, part-time smuggler, on a path to being full-time dead. His sidekick just stole his girlfriend. The galaxy's most hideous and feared bounty hunter wants to lay eggs in his brain. And the luxury space yacht Cole just hijacked turns out of be filled with interstellar do-gooders, one especially loathsome stowaway, and a cargo of freeze-dried orphans.Reluctantly compelled to deliver these defenseless, fluidless children to safety, Cole gathers a misfit crew for a desperate journey to the far reaches of the galaxy. Their destination: the mysterious world of Yrnameer, the very last of the your-name-heres-planets without corporate sponsors. But little does Cole know that this legendary utopia is home to a murderous band of outlaws bent on destroying the planet's tiny, peaceful community.Follow Cole's adventures through a delightfully absurd science-fiction universe, where the artificial intelligence is stupid, dust motes carry branding messages, and middle-management zombies have overrun a corporate training satellite. In the spirit of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, The Sheriff of Yrnameer is sci-fi comedy at its best-mordant, raucously funny, and a thrilling must-listen.… (more)

Too silly to be engaging ( )
  Aug3Zimm | Jan 17, 2020 |
A book about a guy who steals a spaceship and finds more trouble than he bargained for. A very fun and funny read. The comparison with Douglas Adams was dead on. The characters were well defined and sympathetic. You cared what happened to them. Three and a half stars. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
I almost did not pick up this book. The cover sucks. I mean, some covers are simply bad but the cover of this book crosses over bad without looking down and lands well over the border to ‘WTF were they thinking?’ The blurb on the back cover by Stephen Colbert doesn’t help things. It says nothing about the story and, if fact, makes it sound sophomoric. The blurb on the inside dust jacket that compared it to Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett attracted me, though, so I gave it a try.
It’s good. It’s not the wild, bizarre ride of the Hitchhiker’s guide or the insightful, satirical humor of Discworld, but it is lighthearted and fun and a thoroughly enjoyable romp with an almost competent space faring rogue trying to escape his luck and his past. I found it a very welcome addition to the far too small field of humorous science fiction. I recommend it.
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
One of my favorite books of the genre. It was just as good the second time around. My only disappointment is when, after finishing the ebook for the first time, I went to look for other titles by this authour only to find he has only written one book! what a major disappointment! The subgenre of comedic fantasy is filed with very few amazing authors, namely, Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett and Robert Rankin. Rubens is only one of a handful of new humorous sci-fi/fantasy authours that have recently written a fantastic story that begs to be part of a series (or at least more works of a similar vein). For other titles similar to "The Sheriff of Yrnameer," see my Goodreads list on "comedic science fiction." (If you know of any other authors or titles that I have not yet listed, yet might enjoy please let me know. Thank you.) ( )
  ogingero | Sep 20, 2013 |
  ogingero | Sep 20, 2013 |
For Alicia and Minya
The Bad Men set out at dawn.
AT LEAST WE GOT THE TERRORISTS.

Michael Rubens is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,778,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible