Esperanza Rising (Scholastic Gold) by Pam…

Esperanza Rising (Scholastic Gold) (original 2000; edition 2016)

by Pam Muñoz Ryan (Author)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.
Member:MMKY
Title:Esperanza Rising (Scholastic Gold)
Authors:Pam Muñoz Ryan (Author)
Info:Scholastic (2002), 262 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:favorites

Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan (2000)

English (761)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (764)
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Sad but enjoyable. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
Esperanza Rising is the story of 13-year old Esperanza and her family in Mexico, 1924. They have a comfortable life as well-to-do Mexican farm owners. Esperanza’s life takes a dramatic turn when through a series of events, she and her mother flee to the United States. They become farm laborers and experience the hardships that come with loss, immigration, and poverty.

We spend a year with Esperanza as she begins what her Abuelita (grandmother) calls mountains and valleys of experiences. Throughout her story she slowly transforms from her naïve, pampered 13-year old self. The story parallels the life of the author’s grandmother and she includes rich details and dialogue that helps the reader understand what life was like for her character.

This book is recommended for grades 6-8 although it could also be appropriate for advanced 5th graders and into high school. ( )
  Abwiedemann | Jul 21, 2020 |
In my opinion this is an outstanding book. First, I liked the writing. Esperanza Rising is a historical fiction book that took place during the early migration era. Esperanza a is wealthy daughter of a landowner in Mexico. Esperanza’s father grew roses and had many fruit trees. But her father dies, and things change for Esperanza, her mother and her abuela (grandmother). Her mother can marry her uncle and still live on the land or face adversities. Esperanza’s mother decides not to marry her brother in law and migrate to the United States. While living in the United States, they are no longer landowners and are now peasants like everyone else. This was a drastic change for Esperanza as she was used to her maids doing everything for her. What I loved most about the writing was that each chapter’s title was of a fruit. During the time period that Esperanza was living in the United States, it was during the harvest of that fruit/vegetable. For example, during asparagus season, Esperanza was working hard to earn money to bring her grandmother to the United States and to pay her mother’s medical bills. Second, I liked this novel for it pushes the reader to think about racism and underprivileged situations. Esperanza meets Isabela, a girl from the camp where she is living in California. Isabela wants to win the part of the princess at her school play. One of the requirements to win is that you must have outstanding grades, which Isabela has. However, it has been told that no Mexican student has won that part, even if they meet all the requirements. The big idea of this novel is that no matter what live brings, we will always be connected to our family and we will conquer everything when we have a supportive family. ( )
  ileonr1 | Apr 28, 2020 |

Ryan, Pam Muñozprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cepeda, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Esperanza grows up on a Mexican farm in a wealthy family. When her father is killed, she and her mother lose everything and must migrate to the US. There she must work and live as a poor immigrant. Finally, at the end, she and her family are reunited with her grandmother, who had to stay in Mexico due to injury.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,662,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible