Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Pam Munoz Ryan

Info:Scholastic (2002), Paperback, 262 pages
Collections:TED 255
Rating:*****
Tags:Immigration, Family, Loss

Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan (2000)

English (593)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All (596)
A great read. We see Esperanza going through a tough time. She once had a marvelous life everything was great. Great friends, great family, great parties when a sudden death in her family occurred. It happened to be her father. When someone so close to you dies you just feel like the world is over. Then we see her find the strength to help her sickly mother. We see Esperanza grow into such a strong girl. I wish I had this book when I lost my father suddenly. I like how the author describes everything in such detail. As I was reading it I could visualize every page I was turning. This was a book I could not put down. ( )
  Phallan | Mar 23, 2017 |
This was a very beautiful and inspiring book; it tells the story of a girl, named Esperanza, who learns what it means to be determined after she goes through extremely difficult situations. In the beginning of the book, the girl's wealthy father is killed and her uncle sets their house and ranch on fire to pressure her mother into marrying him. Esperanza, who goes from riches to rags, flees and works for the first time. She takes responsibility in caring for her family, including her mother, who becomes very ill. I really loved this book and its message of perseverance and hope. It was definitely a more difficult read than the other books we have read so far but it's one of my favorites now. This is an amazing book that I would definitely share with students. ( )
  Eayyad | Mar 23, 2017 |
Not everything in life can go as planned. Sometimes it will be full of trials and tribulations and Esperanza learns this lesson the hard way. Esperanza led a charmed life until the loss of her father and a greedy Tio Luis cause Esperanza and her mother, Ramona, to flee to California. I appreciate the emphasis of perseverance and hope. It also served as a commentary on social class and Miguel states "The rich take care of the rich and the poor take care of those who have less than they have" (79). It is just so accurate and I can't believe I haven't heard this until recently. I think that the characters are well developed. You can see them grow and change throughout the story and Esperanza + everything she has to go through are the clearest example of that. She starts off as naive and hopeful never wanting for anything because she has everything. At the end of the novel she is strong and weathered and appreciates changes as they come and go. I found her and the entire novel inspiring. I found it interesting that Ryan decided to write this as a historical fiction. This easily could have been contemporary but maybe it wouldn't have been as well received. ( )
  ilonon | Mar 22, 2017 |
Esperanza Rising is such a great book that I really enjoyed. The author easily paints a picture for me on each page and I truly felt like I was going through the struggles with Esperanza and her family. Everything turned completely upside down when Esperanza's father, the provider of the family, was killed. Esperanza and her family went though great trials trying to escape Mexico to find work in the United States. While in the United States, Esperanza's mother falls ill and now Esperanza, who is only 13, needs to step up and do the work to pay bills. She went from the great life, with great school, great friends and great parties to the working girl. Esperanza showed so much strength in this story and is was very admirable. This story would be great for children because it teaches many lessons. It shows kids how it is today for immigrants, it educates people about the Mexican culture, it shows how it isn't easy to get over death but you have to get up everyday and continue your life. The book shares a great like "Don't be afraid to start over." I really loved this book and would definitely read it again and share it with my future students. ( )
  cmsmit12 | Mar 22, 2017 |
Esperanza’s life changes in the blink of an eye when her father is killed by bandits and she moves to America in search of a better life. Esperanza’s mom gets sick, forcing Esperanza to work in the fields to support her. Esperanza has gone from being a very wealthy girl to living in a migrant camp in the blink of an eye. For a while, Esperanza does not believe that things will ever get better. Eventually, Esperanza’s mother gets better and she is reunited with her grandmother; she learns the value of hard work and hope.
I absolutely loved this book. I think everyone can relate to dealing with hardships in their life. No one’s life is perfect, and sometimes it can be very hard to get past the trials that life throws at us. Esperanza learns the value of hard work through her journey, and I think that is a very important lesson for people to learn. We can accomplish so much through hard work and determination. Esperanza also learns the value of hope and faith during this novel. Sometimes things get hard, but hope and faith help us to realize that things will get better. This mindset is very important because it allows us to understand that our hardships will not last forever. Just like the mountains and valleys in the quilt, we will feel on top of the world at points, but at the bottom of the world at others. I loved the way the author connected to me as a reader emotionally, making me feel like I knew the characters and was sitting at the dinner table with them. There were also many historical events included in the book, so it is a great way to introduce this period of history to students. ( )
  mkstorey | Mar 22, 2017 |
This book is about a young girl who has the perfect life. One day, her world gets turned upside down when her father tragically gets murdered and the family can no longer live the luxurious life. Esperanza and her mom decide to flee to the United States for a better life as migrant workers. Esperanza has to learn how to cope with the trials she has to endure in order to survive. This book is ideal for children in the fifth and sixth grade. It can teach children about the great depression era in a history lesson and about the culture of migrant workers. It can also be used in ELA classrooms to teach about the different writing elements.

Pam Muñoz Ryanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cepeda, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Esperanza grows up on a Mexican farm in a wealthy family. When her father is killed, she and her mother lose everything and must migrate to the US. There she must work and live as a poor immigrant. Finally, at the end, she and her family are reunited with her grandmother, who had to stay in Mexico due to injury.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043912042X, Paperback)

A reissue of Pam Munoz Ryan's bestselling backlist with a distinctive new author treatment.

Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When their new life is threatened, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances--Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:38 -0400)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,187,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible