Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Pam Munoz Ryan

Info:Scholastic (2002), Paperback, 262 pages
Collections:TED 255
Rating:*****
Tags:Immigration, Family, Loss

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan (2000)

English (500)  German (1)  All languages (501)
I thought Esperanza Rising was an amazing story. I loved the plot and the characters, and seeing the sharp contrast between Esperanza’s life in Mexico and America. One thing in particular that I really enjoyed was the use of Spanish throughout the novel. Because Esperanza is Mexican, I think the Spanish really helps the reader understand a bit more of Esperanza’s culture in her journey and new life in the US because it reminds readers that she’s not from the US and things are different in Mexico where she’s from.
The overall theme of the story was definitely change and how that affects people in different ways. Esperanza grew up a lot throughout the course of the story and encountered a lot of changes that shaped the way she saw the world and how it different it was from when she lived in Mexico.
I would recommend this story for students in fifth grade through middle school because it is definitely a little deeper and deals with death and the struggles of a new life and life as a teenager, which is something younger children wouldn’t understand as well. ( )
  kbork1 | Mar 24, 2015 |
Esperanza Rising is about a young girl who believes she will always live in the house she grew up in, would always having fancy dresses and a beautiful home. Until one day she is faced with the fact of the Great Depression and her family must flee to a camp for Mexican farm workers. She is distraught and not ready to face the facts of her new life. The characters in the story are well rounded with realistic struggles and concerns. The plot of the story is organized and easy to follow. The young girl learns through her struggles what is really important in life and what she thought made her happy isn't what really matters in life. This story can help children learn how to treat others, how to help your family and the difficulties of moving. ( )
  cwierz2 | Mar 24, 2015 |
I liked and did not like the book for two reasons. First, I liked the suspense in the plot. There were times that I had a hard time putting the book down. I wanted to find out who did what, if they would make it to America, would they always be poor, how would she pay for the hospital bills, would Abuelita heal and migrate to American too? These are all thoughts that ran though my head as I read due to the suspense that built up throughout the plot. Second, I did not always like how sad the plot was. First it was the murder, then the house fire, then having to live in poor conditions, having poor health and trying to overcome poverty. However, I did like how the book revolved around realistic events such as the Great Depression. The big idea of the book is that anyone can do anything if they set their mind to it. Ramona had to get healthy, get a well paying job, pay her bills and was determined to get Abuelita to American. She set her mind to tackling these obstacles and achieved them! ( )
  kmcpha3 | Mar 24, 2015 |
While it took me a while to get through the beginning, in the end I enjoyed this book. At the beginning it seemed very sad and it dragged on. However, as the book progressed the reader sees Esperanza maturing and becoming more grateful for everything that she has, instead of feeling prideful or entitled due to her former position. This book is a book about being grateful for what you have and also about overcoming difficulties. I would recommend that people read this if they think they are going through a tough time in life. ( )
  ehayne1 | Mar 24, 2015 |
Esperanza Rising was an amazing book. I felt that the book described the emotional roller caster of people coming to a new country with nothing. Esperanza’s world is completely flipped upside down at the beginning of this book. I felt that the author tried very hard to make Esperanza’s situation as realistic as possible. Nothing was sugar coated. The main characters grew so much in this book and overcame so many hardships. By the end of the book, it is amazing to see how much has changed. I found it important to show the struggle that she had while coming to America and the hardships that the people had who came to the US. The American Dream that they came here for did not exist at all. You can get the sense of culture shock along with hoe terrible the situation was throughout the book. I think that all young readers should read this book to expose them to a different culture and hardship they might not understand. I even find myself respecting the Mexican immigrants more because of this book. ( )
  cscapp1 | Mar 24, 2015 |
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Curriculum Connection:  3rd Grade Social Studies Std. 1 History:

Concepts and skills students master:2. People in the past influence the development and interaction of different communities or regions
d.  Describe the history, interaction, and contribution of the various peoples and cultures that have lived in or migrated to a community or region (DOK 1-2)
-------------------------------
Esperanza believed her life would be wonderful forever. She would always live on her family's ranch in Mexico. She would always have fancy dresses and a beautiful home filled with servants. Papa and Abuelita would always be with her.
But a sudden tragedy shatters her world and forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California, where they settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Experanza isn't ready for the hard labor, finanacial struggles brought on by the Great Depression., and lack of acceptance she now faces. When Mama gets sick, and a strike for better working conditions threatens to uproot their new life, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances - because Mama's life and her own depend on it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043912042X, Paperback)

A reissue of Pam Munoz Ryan's bestselling backlist with a distinctive new author treatment.

Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When their new life is threatened, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances--Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:12 -0400)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,141,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible