Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Pam Munoz Ryan

Info:Scholastic (2002), Paperback, 262 pages
Collections:TED 255
Rating:*****
Tags:Immigration, Family, Loss

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan (2000)

Recently added byrevathi.subramanian, warangel820, i_shoff, private library, mabith, bsobol, beschrich, DMBGC, meow33

English (376)  German (1)  All languages (377)
In my opinion, this book was okay. There were aspects of the book that I liked, and there were things that were mediocre. I liked the central message of the book—you can be wealthy in more ways than one. Esperanza thought that money was the only thing that could make her rich, but as she faced the hardships that took place, she realized that family, friends, and love can make you rich also. What I did not like was the amount of time it took for Esperanza to come around and stop acting like a brat. “She opens her case to check on the doll, and a little barefoot peasant girl runs to see it. Esperanza quickly jerks it away—she doesn’t want a dirty peasant girl touching her doll.”…”why is Mama apologizing to a peasant.” After this happened in chapter 5, I began to dislike the character. I do think that the story was written well, and kept the reader engaged. I just felt indifferent about Esperanza. ( )
  kjacks26 | Mar 30, 2014 |
I absolutely love this book. I read it in middle school and I was so excited that I was going to get to read it again. There is just so many things to love about this story. My favorite thing about the book is how it is rife with symbolism. One of my favorite parts where this symbolism appears is toward the end, when Abuelita is finally able to travel to the United States. Mama is home from the hospital, Miguel brings Abuelita over the border, Esperanza has discovered how strong she is, and Papa's roses have bloomed; the family is finally together again, but different than they were in the beginning. Each one of them has been on a journey, but their family is so strong that they can never truly be apart. I also like how the way the book comes full circle. The very first line of the story is "Our land is alive, Esperanza", which is what her father says to her, and the last line of the story is "Don't be afraid to start over." These lines connect to show that everything is alive, and living things will change. This idea also connects to the fact that the names of the chapters are what food is in season at that time. The chapters come full circle as well. The first chapter is los uvas (grapes) and the last chapter is los uvas (grapes). This idea also connects to the first and last lines because the plants will always come back, just as Esperanza's family will always be there for her. Another thing I loved about the book was the main character, Esperanza. Her name means "hope", which is a really big idea in this book. She is so much stronger than she thinks she is, and is willing to make so many sacrifices and work hard for the people she loves. She surprises herself, and I find her journey of self-discovery to be very relateable. This book also lends itself to open discussion for many topics, such as racism, segregation, and growing up, and it addresses these ideas, and others, in tasteful ways, which I can really appreciate. As stated previously, one of the big ideas of this book is having hope and looking to the future, but the reader can take away many things from this story. Overall, I love this book, and I definitely appreciate it more now that I am older. ( )
  lstec2 | Mar 26, 2014 |
Esperanza Rising was a very good read. I really enjoyed the way that Spanish words were incorporated into the text. For example, Esperanza would say a Spanish word, followed by an English word. This strategy used by the author reminded the reader that the characters were Spanish throughout the entirety of the book. Also, I really enjoyed the storyline. The plot of this story was kept the reader interested and made the story exciting. I enjoyed being able to watch Esperanza grow-up through the course of the story. The main message of this story is that money and comfort are not the most important things in life, family is more important. ( )
  kjacob9 | Mar 24, 2014 |
It took me a long time to read this book because I did not know much about the great depression. I learned a lot about life of an immigrant. The pace was a little slow. I would recommend this book for 5th grade on. ( )
  Cybro | Mar 23, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. Not only is it informative of certain historical issues such as immigration, but it is also an eventful book that elicits a deep emotional response. I like that this book can be used to integrate language arts and history and the fact that it is bilingual, stating phrases or words once in Spanish then again in English. For example, Miguel often referred to Esperanza as “mi reina, my queen.” Students are able to get a glimpse of Mexican culture and the hardships that many immigrants had to face when moving to the United States. When reading this book in the classroom, however, teachers must be sure that their students are mature enough for the content. The language is simple, yet sophisticated, but the story line is powerful and discusses many difficult issues for young students to grasp. I also like that this book has a lot of symbolism in it and that you can gain more than one central message from it. Through the combination of all the symbolism found in the book, such as the porcelain and yarn dolls and the mountains and valleys in Abuelita’s blanket, we can learn a lot from Esperanza Rising. I believe that the obvious message in this book is “don’t be afraid to start over,” as this is what Abuelita says to Esperanza in the last line of the book. Another message that I particularly like and think is beneficial for children is that you can be wealthy in more ways than one. ( )
  kfield9 | Mar 18, 2014 |
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Curriculum Connection:  3rd Grade Social Studies Std. 1 History:

Concepts and skills students master:2. People in the past influence the development and interaction of different communities or regions
d.  Describe the history, interaction, and contribution of the various peoples and cultures that have lived in or migrated to a community or region (DOK 1-2)
-------------------------------
Esperanza believed her life would be wonderful forever. She would always live on her family's ranch in Mexico. She would always have fancy dresses and a beautiful home filled with servants. Papa and Abuelita would always be with her.
But a sudden tragedy shatters her world and forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California, where they settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Experanza isn't ready for the hard labor, finanacial struggles brought on by the Great Depression., and lack of acceptance she now faces. When Mama gets sick, and a strike for better working conditions threatens to uproot their new life, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances - because Mama's life and her own depend on it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043912042X, Paperback)

A reissue of Pam Munoz Ryan's bestselling backlist with a distinctive new author treatment.

Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When their new life is threatened, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances--Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:12 -0400)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible