Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Pam Munoz Ryan

Info:Scholastic (2002), Paperback, 262 pages
Collections:TED 255
Rating:*****
Tags:Immigration, Family, Loss

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan (2000)

English (438)  German (1)  All languages (439)
One of the things I really liked about the authors writing technique for this book is on the first page. "He who falls today may rise tomorrow.", a quote used to open the book. I feel that starting the book off with such an inspirational quote not only gives a reader a sense of good fortune for a character they have yet to meet, but it also gives them some foreshadowing. To me, it made me think of the quote "every dark night, turns into day" (from the song "Every Storm Runs Out of Rain - Gary Allen). It just reminds us that sometimes it is always darkest before the dawn, and that we often experience hardship before our most glorious moments. I felt that perhaps this is the emotion the author was trying to give the reader.
A second thing I liked about this story was the development of the protagonist, Esperanza. Esperanza experiences loss, fear, separation, prejudice, poverty, and humiliation. All of these experiences that the author puts Esperanza through creates a real bond with the reader. You can't help but feel bad for Esperenza when her ungrateful Uncle takes over the farm that her family owns. I literally felt heartbroken having to read through Esperenza's experience of working hard to pay for her mother's hospital bills while her mother stayed very sick. Her father was killed by bandits one day before her birthday. It was such an injustice, yet you can't help but read on.
I think this story is one that depicts the hardships of the Mexican people after the revolution in the 1930's. The author does a great job of informing the reader about how tough the times were for certain families. This is a great historical fiction story and I would recommend it for any age of reader. ( )
  Andrewturner | Nov 20, 2014 |
Collections
Picture book
Grade: 4- 7
Historical fiction
In my opinion, Esperanza Rising is an entertaining and inspiring read. The novel did a fantastic job of grabbing your attention at the very beginning by immediately introducing the main conflict. On page 22, the narrator lets the reader know that Esperanza's father had died. I really like the way the author wrote this passage so artfully. She does a great job of conveying that the father had died without actually coming out and saying it. She is very descriptive and allows the reader to feel the emotions of the characters. On page 22 Munoz writes, "When the wagon stopped, Esperanza could see a body in the back, completely covered with a blanket. "Where's Papa?" she cried. Miguel hung his head. Alfonso did not say a word but the tears running down his cheeks confirmed the worst. Mama fainted. Abuelita and Hortensia ran to her side. Esperanza felt her heart drop. A noise came from her mouth slowly, her first breath of grief grew into a tormented cry. She fell to her knees and sank into a dark hole of despair and disbelief". From this point on the story's tone changed drastically. Things were no longer light-hearted and happy, but critical and serious. Esperanza's charmed life had come to a sudden halt. The remainder of the story stressed the main ideas of family, friendship, and the human spirit. Esperanza, a spoiled but kind-hearted rich girl, had to grow up in order to make it in the migrant vegetable fields of California. Through this journey she learned the true meaning of family, friendship, and the strength of her own spirit. ( )
  danielleshorr | Nov 10, 2014 |
This is a very powerful story! It addresses many issues of class and race in an accessible way.
  cynalibo | Nov 9, 2014 |
Esperanza Rising is about a young girl who comes from a rich family, who owns a vineyard in Mexico. The story follows a series of events that leaves Esperanza poor and in America throughout the story you see Esperanza grow and struggle with her new life. I loved this book! I loved this book for three reasons it’s message, the way it was written and the character development. The message of this book is to not judge a book by its cover and you can always overcome. I loved this message because it empowers the reader and helps to show the reader that you can do anything. This can be seen throughout the whole book but especially when Esperanza learns to cook and clean even though she never learned how to do that and when Esperanza gets mad because they are judging Mexicans based on their profession. The way Esperanza behaves and grows ties into the next reason why I loved it and that was the character development. The author throughout the whole book establishes how snotty and stuck up Esperanza is, the author then begins to humble Esperanza and she really becomes a powerful, strong and humble female character. I loved this because I felt it gives the reader a good character to look up to and helps to enhance the story because it isn’t your typical rags to riches story. This is seen throughout the book but especially when Esperanza mom gets sick and to help her she actually goes to work in the fields, something I never thought Esperanza would do. This is even seen when she begins to take care of the babies’ everyday. I feel the author did a nice job of this and feel it made the book what it is. The final thing I loved about this book was the way it was written. Though the entire book is written in English. Throughout the book the author interlaced Spanish words in the book. For example when Esperanza mom was talking to Esperanza the author would say “mija” the Spanish word for daughter, the author then would write daughter next to it. I loved this because it offered the reader a chance to learn the Spanish words and also use context clues to understand what the words meant. I thought this was a very interesting way to write the book and was something that made it extremely unique. ( )
  BriaCoogle | Nov 8, 2014 |
I enjoyed Esperanza Rising, a story with the message of finding your strength and value even when you feel you have nothing, to overcome hardship and flourish despite adversity. I liked this book because of the authors capitalization on the character's emotions throughout the story and how each character developed through the story. The way the author describes the emotional times the characters go through in the story connects to the readers with its drama and authenticity, which pulled the reader into the traumatic events happening to the characters. A prime example of this is when Esperanza, the main character, and her family discover her father has been murdered and respond with true devastation, that is presented accurately by the author. For instance the author describes, "Esperanza felt her heart drop. A noise came from her mouth and slowly, her first breath of grief grew into a tormented cry." Secondly, the author was very successful in making the main character, Esperanza, believable through her internal dialog and responses to the events that occur in the story. Esperanza comes across as a privileged snob because of her ignorance to the reality of her family's situation of going from wealthy to being migrant farmers. This is shown well when Esperanza says to her mother while traveling to the farming camp, "Mama, we cannot travel in this car. It is not clean and the people do not look trustworthy." Little does Esperanza know, she is now considered equal to the poor workers she is looking down upon. I believe this was a crucial aspect of the story, because it shows how both the family's journey and outlook on life develops and changes throughout the story. ( )
  StephanieGrim | Nov 8, 2014 |
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Curriculum Connection:  3rd Grade Social Studies Std. 1 History:

Concepts and skills students master:2. People in the past influence the development and interaction of different communities or regions
d.  Describe the history, interaction, and contribution of the various peoples and cultures that have lived in or migrated to a community or region (DOK 1-2)
-------------------------------
Esperanza believed her life would be wonderful forever. She would always live on her family's ranch in Mexico. She would always have fancy dresses and a beautiful home filled with servants. Papa and Abuelita would always be with her.
But a sudden tragedy shatters her world and forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California, where they settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Experanza isn't ready for the hard labor, finanacial struggles brought on by the Great Depression., and lack of acceptance she now faces. When Mama gets sick, and a strike for better working conditions threatens to uproot their new life, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances - because Mama's life and her own depend on it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043912042X, Paperback)

A reissue of Pam Munoz Ryan's bestselling backlist with a distinctive new author treatment.

Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When their new life is threatened, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances--Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:12 -0400)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,027,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible