Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Pam Munoz Ryan

Info:Scholastic (2002), Paperback, 262 pages
Collections:TED 255
Rating:*****
Tags:Immigration, Family, Loss

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan (2000)

English (388)  German (1)  All languages (389)
Summary: This book is following a thirteen year old girl named Esperanza and her family is very wealthy. However, it all changes when her family loses everything during the Great Depression. Esperanza and her mother are forced to flee their fancy ranch in Mexico and move to California to work on a farm. Throughout the book, Esperanza discovers what her name means. It is a sign for "hope.
Personal Reaction: This book shows how it is so easy to lose something so quickly. I have recently realized how easy it is to take things for granite. For example, i managed to have a wreck a couple weeks ago and i had been complaining about how I wanted a new car (even though mine is only 4 years old) and i have realized how thankful i am to just have a running vehicle and how i was taking it for granite. I believe this book shows how they were rich and then in the blink of an eye, they lose it all.
Classroom Extensions: It would be good to elaborate and go into further dept of the historical context. We could reflect on the history of MExico, the Great Depression, and Migrant Labor so the students understand it clearer. Have students create an "I am" poem individually.
  atinney16 | Jul 24, 2014 |
Beautifull written historical fiction. I connected with the main character immediatley. I love how the author brings to life the characters and the culture. Heart-felt and engaging story. It was hard for me to put it down. ( )
  rachelmuegge | Jul 23, 2014 |
This story deftly chronicles the escape of a young girl, Esperanza, and her mother to the United States after her father is murdered and her home is burned by greedy uncles. Esperanza has led a privileged life and is not prepared for life as a "peasant." They flee Mexico with their former servants and find refuge on a migrant farm in California. Esperanza has never bathed herself or had to do any chores, but she learns to cope in this unfamiliar environment. After her mother becomes deathly ill, Esperanza works hard to raise money to have her grandmother brought to the U.S. It is a story of new beginnings and hope in the face of adversity. It also shows the plight of the migrant farm workers and their struggles. It is a great book to use to talk about immigration, forced deportation, workers' rights, and class systems. I liked it even better because the author's grandmother was the inspiration for the novel. ( )
  SuPendleton | Jul 9, 2014 |
Esperanza Rising tells the life story of a young girl who lives with her wealthy family. After the death of her after they are forced to move due to complicated circumstances. Esperanza learns to deal with the drastic changes from one life to another. Her highs and lows teach Esperanza to to never give up.

This book can be used to teach several different things. My favorite this to teach with this book would be he aspect if it's historical events. This need could also be used to teach others about the different themes that are encountered throughout the novel.

I really enjoyed reading the novel. Everything about Esperanza's journey kept me on my toes. Starting with the house fire to the wagon ride to the deportations and more this novel is a page turner. Although he endnotes the novel is touching, I was expecting more from the author. ( )
  meriabell | Jun 24, 2014 |
Esperanza Rising teaches children that their self perception speaks volumes to perserverence. The environment and materialism doesn't have to form your character by assimulation, but by the values and sense of purpose that you were born to make a difference. It demonstrates that caring about people and seeing people regardless of their position in society is what really matters. Life is a roller coaster and flexibility is required to survive the ride. ( )
  Dr.LDaly | Jun 22, 2014 |
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Curriculum Connection:  3rd Grade Social Studies Std. 1 History:

Concepts and skills students master:2. People in the past influence the development and interaction of different communities or regions
d.  Describe the history, interaction, and contribution of the various peoples and cultures that have lived in or migrated to a community or region (DOK 1-2)
-------------------------------
Esperanza believed her life would be wonderful forever. She would always live on her family's ranch in Mexico. She would always have fancy dresses and a beautiful home filled with servants. Papa and Abuelita would always be with her.
But a sudden tragedy shatters her world and forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California, where they settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Experanza isn't ready for the hard labor, finanacial struggles brought on by the Great Depression., and lack of acceptance she now faces. When Mama gets sick, and a strike for better working conditions threatens to uproot their new life, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances - because Mama's life and her own depend on it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043912042X, Paperback)

A reissue of Pam Munoz Ryan's bestselling backlist with a distinctive new author treatment.

Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When their new life is threatened, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances--Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:12 -0400)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible