Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Pam Munoz Ryan

Member:ainsbrown
Title:Esperanza Rising
Authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Other authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Info:Scholastic (2002), Paperback, 262 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:boy/girl stuff, girly, mexican revelotion, historical fiction, sweet

Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan (2000)

English (600)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All (603)
Wow! Reading this book literally blew my mind. I absolutely loved this book. I never imagined that this book would talk about so many difficult and very real problems that Mexicans face when migrating to the United States. I feel like the book's theme is that life throws people in many situations that may seem like they can never overcome them. However when one perseveres and keeps their head up things can definitely get better. The book was written in first person by Esperanza. I feel like the fact that the book was written in first person it made it come to life. The book was set in mexico on a ranch and in California. I feel like this book is very inspiring because it showed me that life can be like a roller coaster, sometimes up and sometimes down. The most important thing I learned from this book is that one can overcome any difficulties that approaches him as long as he keeps his head up. I truly loved reading this book and will definitely share this book with my future students. ( )
  kristeen1995 | Mar 24, 2017 |
This book tells the emotional story of a thirteen year old girl named Esperanza and her story of immigration to America. The story begins with Esperanza living on a wealthy ranch with her mother, father, several close farm hands and servants. Her father then dies and a few days later their is a terrible fire that destroys everything Esperanza and her mother had left. They are face with a very difficult choice but they decide to travel to America and work hard labor. This journey bring forth a great sense of maturity within Esperanza, especially when her mother becomes ill and she is faced with paying the hospital bills. Esperanza continues her work and is able to grow and recognize right from wrong. Eventually Esperanza realizes that material things mean nothing and that real happiness is found within yourself and those around you. This book is absolutely filled with symbolism. One example of this that seems to be consistent throughout the book would be how life is like a rose. There is no life without difficulties just as there is no rose without thorns. This symbol really stuck with me because it was able to show Esperanza that in order to appreciate those around her and the memories they share their also had to be some no so good times. Overall I feel this was a great book and would be very important for any student to read. I feel it offers an amazing perspective for those who do not understand the struggle some immigrants go through. ( )
  cejones4 | Mar 23, 2017 |
This story was full of realistic struggles of immigrating, dealing with death, adjusting to going from wealthy to poor and the importance of family bond. At first this book was hard for me to really get into but I came around towards the end. I don't usually like stories that are full of struggles I tend to be drawn toward pleasant poetry or fantasy. That being said, the author did a wonderful job conveying the issues Esperanza and her family faced after her father died and they were forced to move to a foreign country. After her mother falls ill Esperanza must really step up and work harder than ever before to support them both. In terms of character growth there are tons of examples. This book takes you through one year of Esperanza'a life and looking at her point of view at the beginning to the end is night and day. She becomes a very appreciative person for all that she had before the fire and all that she worked so hard for after it. ( )
  AubrieSmith | Mar 23, 2017 |
The novel Esperanza follows the year of a girl and her family as they are displaced from their home and forced to change the dynamics of their lives. The novel takes place on Esperanza's family ranch in Mexico and in workers camps in California. In Mexico, we are introduced to Esperanza's mama, abuletia, and papa (who dies in the first chapter). We also meet Hortensia, Alphonso, and Miguel, the servants of Esperanza's family. WE also meet a few distant relatives and the family that lives in the ranch next to them. There are many themes in this book, but some that stand out more than others are family is the most important thing in your life and through life, we always have to go through ups and downs. The entire book is written in the perspective of a narrator, which I'm assuming is Pam Munoz Ryan, Esperanza's granddaughter and author of the book. A lot of the book is written with sad undertones. So many bad things are happening to Esperanza and her family that they have no choice but to be sad. Thy style of the books is equally as sad and serious. In the first few pages, we already have foreshadowing of bad things to come and all the bad luck continues throughout the book.

Throughout the entire book, I was rooting for Esperanza and her family to have some sort of happy ending since they had gone through so many things in just the span of a year. I felt for her the entire time and I was generally inspired by how much Esperanza grew up and took on so many responsibilities to keep her moms medical bills paid and have money to bring her grandmother to California with them. She had to deal with so many things that 13 year olds generally don't go through and she found a way to make it work. I had previously read this book in 6th grade and my view of it now is much deeper than my view back then. I would love to introduce this to kids that are about 11-13 so they can learn a little of the history not being taught from the perspective of people that actually eat through it. Overall, I loved this book.
  CharleneMartin | Mar 23, 2017 |
Esperanza Rising is a moving coming-of-age story about a naive thirteen year old girl who is thrust into adulthood when tragedy strikes. This was such a wonderful read, and I appreciated the fact that this book was able to address some fairly difficult to discuss issues, such as death and poverty. I was inspired by Esperanza's resiliency and determination when her mother fell ill, and I was especially glad to see her cast off her former prejudices regarding social class. I really enjoyed reading this book-- it was well-written, and I loved that it ended the same way it began. Esperanza Rising was such an inspiring story, and this would be an excellent book to assign to students in upper middle school grades. ( )
  btbarret | Mar 23, 2017 |
This book is about a young girl who has the perfect life. One day, her world gets turned upside down when her father tragically gets murdered and the family can no longer live the luxurious life. Esperanza and her mom decide to flee to the United States for a better life as migrant workers. Esperanza has to learn how to cope with the trials she has to endure in order to survive. This book is ideal for children in the fifth and sixth grade. It can teach children about the great depression era in a history lesson and about the culture of migrant workers. It can also be used in ELA classrooms to teach about the different writing elements.

Pam Muñoz Ryanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cepeda, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Esperanza grows up on a Mexican farm in a wealthy family. When her father is killed, she and her mother lose everything and must migrate to the US. There she must work and live as a poor immigrant. Finally, at the end, she and her family are reunited with her grandmother, who had to stay in Mexico due to injury.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043912042X, Paperback)

A reissue of Pam Munoz Ryan's bestselling backlist with a distinctive new author treatment.

Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When their new life is threatened, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances--Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:38 -0400)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,256,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible