Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Pam Munoz Ryan

4,949561927 (4.18)69
Member:ainsbrown
Title:Esperanza Rising
Authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Other authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Info:Scholastic (2002), Paperback, 262 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:boy/girl stuff, girly, mexican revelotion, historical fiction, sweet

Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan (2000)

English (556)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (559)
Great book for 5th grade, a little to advanced for beyond that. This book examines immigration from Mexico to America during the Great Depression. ( )
  CleoButtermann | Apr 25, 2016 |
I believe that this book would be appropriate for an upper elementary or middle school classroom as it follows a young girl on her immigration journey. This story focuses on the cultural similarities and differences between the United States and Mexico, and students will get an in depth look as to what life is like in different cultures. As this book also focuses on Mexican proverbs students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the proverbs used throughout the book. Students will be able to state whether they agree or disagree with the statement, and explain why the feel this way. After reading the book, students could write their own book of proverbs that include ones that have been passed down in the family, or ones that are found online that they find true in their lives.
  Emily.Clark | Apr 22, 2016 |
I would use this book in a second though fourth grade setting. I would use it in this age range depending on the literature level of my students and the realities of the great depression. I would use this book to have my students create a book report and recreation of a specific scene within the book. The students would be asked to give a very descriptive summary and review of the scene including why they enjoyed this scene the most and how they interpreted the scene from texts to a vision. I could also have my students create a short story on what they believe their own lives would have been like and how they would have like it if they lived in the time that Esperanza did. ( )
  Amanda11 | Apr 20, 2016 |
In my opinion, this is a great book. Not only is it informative of certain historical issues such as immigration, but it is also an eventful book that elicits a deep emotional response. I like that this book can be used to integrate language arts and history and the fact that it is bilingual, stating phrases or words once in Spanish then again in English. For example, Miguel often referred to Esperanza as “mi reina, my queen.” Students are able to get a glimpse of Mexican culture and the hardships that many immigrants had to face when moving to the United States. The language is simple, yet sophisticated, but the story line is powerful and discusses many difficult issues for young students to grasp. I also like that this book has a lot of symbolism in it and that you can gain more than one central message from it. Through the combination of all the symbolism found in the book, such as the porcelain and yarn dolls and the mountains and valleys in Abuelita’s blanket, we can learn a lot from Esperanza Rising. I believe that the obvious message in this book is “don’t be afraid to start over,” as this is what Abuelita says to Esperanza in the last line of the book. Another message that I particularly like and think is beneficial for children is that you can be wealthy in more ways than one.
  JessicaSparacino | Apr 12, 2016 |
This story is about A girl who is used to a life of luxury and higher class, who after her father dies, must move to California with her mother during the Great Depression. It follows her struggle of getting used to a new life and the relationships she makes along the way, as well as providing good insight into lives during the Great Depression and some California State History. The characters are very well written and well rounded, and the story is extremely realistic because it is the story of the authors grandmother.

Medium: None

Uses: - great depression history
-California State History
- multicultural novel and inclusion of another culture
- study on award winning female authors- author is an outstanding, award winning, Hispanic author
  asukonik | Apr 5, 2016 |
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Esperanza grows up on a Mexican farm in a wealthy family. When her father is killed, she and her mother lose everything and must migrate to the US. There she must work and live as a poor immigrant. Finally, at the end, she and her family are reunited with her grandmother, who had to stay in Mexico due to injury.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043912042X, Paperback)

A reissue of Pam Munoz Ryan's bestselling backlist with a distinctive new author treatment.

Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When their new life is threatened, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances--Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:38 -0400)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible