Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Pam Munoz Ryan

Member:ainsbrown
Title:Esperanza Rising
Authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Other authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Info:Scholastic (2002), Paperback, 262 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:boy/girl stuff, girly, mexican revelotion, historical fiction, sweet

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan (2000)

English (523)  German (1)  All languages (524)
As part of this specific paired text reading, I first read Esperanza Rising. Esperanza Rising is a fabulous fictional account of a young girl’s journey from experiencing material wealth and security in Mexico to becoming a migrant worker with all of its trials and struggles in California. Esperanza’s story is fictional one, but it is loosely based on the experiences of the author Pam Munoz Ryan’s grandmother. This beautifully written story brings its readers on Esperanza’s journey of discovery about what is truly important to her and remaining hopeful in the face of significant obstacles. The novel introduces its readers to many of the real struggles that migrant workers face such as poverty, language and educational barriers, and both the positive and negative impacts of striking for better wages and working conditions.

I think fictional accounts, like Esperanza Rising, that depict actual historical events, help readers make personal connections to the events and characters in the novel. Establishing these connections is an important step in helping readers develop empathy and compassion for people and life styles for which they have no direct background knowledge. Fictional stories with well-developed themes, characters, and settings help transport readers into the world of the story and create an emotional connection that serves as the basis for further exploration and discovery. ( )
  zsvandyk | Jun 7, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book for a variety of reasons. Personally I could relate a lot with having to restart from nothing in life. Such a great inspirational story about how even when everything seems lost, things can turn out ok in the long run. A great read for elementary readers, but anyone can enjoy a good pick me up book such as this one! Easy to understand and follow with a good story layout. ( )
  lriver5 | May 14, 2015 |
This book was a great book that I found really interesting because it was bilingual. It also taught a great lesson which is hard work pays off, she worked hard and earned enough money to pay off medical bills and get her grandmother to them. ( )
  lbradf4 | May 14, 2015 |
I really loved Esperanza Rising. This book had one of the best story lines and I really thought it was amazing. So many stories are about how a person starts from nothing and they work so hard and then they become successful this story is not that. The main character starts off wealthy but after several unfortunate events she finds herself as an American Immigrant and with nothing. The story has the potential to be very depressing. There are a lot of unfortunate things that happen. For example in the beginning of the book Esperanza’s father passes away. To start the book off this way was a very risky move. I know that when I first heard that the book started on such a negative note I was skeptical, but the author really has a magical way of pulling the reader in and making them want to continue all the way until the end.
Another part of the book that I really enjoyed was the strong themes presented. The book was all about over coming adversity and that made reading the book very empowering. The fact that the female character was the strong character and overcame so many obstacles in her life but made it out better in the end was another reason that I felt so passionate about the book. Also the growth of the character was something that I really enjoyed about the book. The reader was really able to connect with the character, because as the reader I felt like I was on a journey with her. The character was so dynamic and changed so much throughout the course of the book that the reader was entertained the entire time. ( )
  Khammersla | May 5, 2015 |
Esperanza is the daughter of a wealthy vineyard owner in Mexico, and lives a privileged life. When disaster strikes, she and her mother flee to the U.S., and must live in a migrant camp and work on a farm. Her life changes drastically, and she faces many challenges.
  mlbailey77 | May 1, 2015 |
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Curriculum Connection:  3rd Grade Social Studies Std. 1 History:

Concepts and skills students master:2. People in the past influence the development and interaction of different communities or regions
d.  Describe the history, interaction, and contribution of the various peoples and cultures that have lived in or migrated to a community or region (DOK 1-2)
-------------------------------
Esperanza believed her life would be wonderful forever. She would always live on her family's ranch in Mexico. She would always have fancy dresses and a beautiful home filled with servants. Papa and Abuelita would always be with her.
But a sudden tragedy shatters her world and forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California, where they settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Experanza isn't ready for the hard labor, finanacial struggles brought on by the Great Depression., and lack of acceptance she now faces. When Mama gets sick, and a strike for better working conditions threatens to uproot their new life, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances - because Mama's life and her own depend on it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043912042X, Paperback)

A reissue of Pam Munoz Ryan's bestselling backlist with a distinctive new author treatment.

Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When their new life is threatened, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances--Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:38 -0400)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,961,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible