Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Pam Munoz Ryan

Member:ainsbrown
Title:Esperanza Rising
Authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Other authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Info:Scholastic (2002), Paperback, 262 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:boy/girl stuff, girly, mexican revelotion, historical fiction, sweet

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan (2000)

English (396)  German (1)  All languages (397)
SUMMARY
When Esperanza Ortega's father is murdered, she and her mother are forced to immigrate to the United States. They go from being wealthy farm owners to poor farm workers. When a dust storm causes her mother to get ill, Esperanza takes her mother's place and works to earn money to bring her grandmother to America.

REVIEW
I thought this book was exciting and inspiring. I loved watching Esperanza mature and grow from her adversity and hardship.I think that this book is very appropriate for the intended audience and brings awareness to a culture that some students may not have known about prior to reading. It does a great job at addressing issues that existed at the time. I think one of the main things I like about the book is that it includes Spanish vocabulary and usually gives the English equivalent. It's a great way for students to pick up some of the Spanish language while reading. The chapter titles were even translated, such as grapes and uvas and avocado and aquacate. This is a great way to teach students about the Mexican culture, as well as teaching them about overcoming adversity and embracing change. ( )
  tstato1 | Sep 15, 2014 |
Review:

Summary:
This children's book ( )
  mnorth2 | Sep 15, 2014 |
This book was insightful, emotional, and inspiring, and I can see why it is used in classrooms across the country. One of the main reasons I liked it was because it puts a twist on the traditional “rags to riches books.” Instead of starting at the bottom and rising to the top, Esparanza finds her lavish mexican lifestyle ripped out from underneath her as she learns to live as a peasant after a series of tragedies. Esparanza has trouble recognizing that the way she is living is the way her servants back in mexico have been living their whole lives. The coming of age style of the novel sends an important message to readers, while still challenging them to think about the differences in society between now and in the early to mid 1900s. Although there are no illustrations in the book, the words and imagery used make up for it. By labeling the chapters after crops on the farm, (i.e. grapes, avocados, plums,) the author helps paint the picture of life on an early 20th century farm, where time really was determined by which crop was in season. This attention to detail really helps drive the main idea of the book home. The big idea of this book can be described as the importance making the best out of what you have and the ability to overcome even the hardest, most unexpected obstacles. ( )
  lmcswe1 | Sep 15, 2014 |
This children's chapter book is very sentimental, however I really enjoyed it. This book was a very quick and easy read. when I was younger I tried starting this book, however at the time I could not relate to the emotions and therefore put it down and never picked it back up to finish. Through out the book I experienced a series of emotions such as excitement when they made it to America safely, sadness when Esperanza's father passes and mother gets ill, and I felt proud of Esperanza when she let go of her feelings of superiority and wanted to be a hero.
Ryan Pam Munoz does a great job of portray the everyday struggles that these Mexican servants have to go through every day just to make enough money to support their families. I really liked how the Mexican culture of putting family first and helping others even when they barely have anything to give is shown through out the entire book.
Overall, I was pleased with the way that Esperanza changed her somewhat spoiled ways and her outlook on the life of Mexican Servants. I am very happy that I had the opportunity to read this book again and be able to enjoy it!
  lfasce1 | Sep 15, 2014 |
Esparanza Rising is a book that I reluctantly read and consequently enjoyed. I love how the historical facts have been intertwined with the story of a Mexican immigrant. The Dust Bowl Era is one of my favorite historical eras and it is conveyed throughout this book very accurately. During the time of the Dust Bowl, many people from Oklahoma and surrounding areas did not want to leave their farms, but after years of suffering many left to California for work. As portrayed in the book, this caused a bit of an uprise and a crusade to help everyone get food and shelter. The main character, Esparanza, was not a typical immigrant of those times. Having the main characters go through a change such as, rich to poor, made the story more interesting to read.The book was fairly easy to read with some challenging vocabulary supported by great context clues. For example, on page 202 the word writhing is used, within the sentence the phrase slithering snake is also used that would give the reader a clue as to what writhing actually means. ( )
  abrozi1 | Sep 15, 2014 |
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Curriculum Connection:  3rd Grade Social Studies Std. 1 History:

Concepts and skills students master:2. People in the past influence the development and interaction of different communities or regions
d.  Describe the history, interaction, and contribution of the various peoples and cultures that have lived in or migrated to a community or region (DOK 1-2)
-------------------------------
Esperanza believed her life would be wonderful forever. She would always live on her family's ranch in Mexico. She would always have fancy dresses and a beautiful home filled with servants. Papa and Abuelita would always be with her.
But a sudden tragedy shatters her world and forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California, where they settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Experanza isn't ready for the hard labor, finanacial struggles brought on by the Great Depression., and lack of acceptance she now faces. When Mama gets sick, and a strike for better working conditions threatens to uproot their new life, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances - because Mama's life and her own depend on it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043912042X, Paperback)

A reissue of Pam Munoz Ryan's bestselling backlist with a distinctive new author treatment.

Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When their new life is threatened, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances--Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:12 -0400)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,709,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible