Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Pam Munoz Ryan

Member:ainsbrown
Title:Esperanza Rising
Authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Other authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:boy/girl stuff, girly, mexican revelotion, historical fiction, sweet

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan (2000)

English (430)  German (1)  All languages (431)
I liked this book because it showed how drastic changes can be difficult and they can happen to anyone. Esperanza and her family came from weath and did not think they would have to worry about the issues that they had to deal with once the father was murdered, their house was burned down, etc. Esperanza had to grow up quickly and learn to mature. She ad had life be easy for her for so long and suddenly sad things started to create a depressing chain of events. The decriptive language and how these events wove into eachother was my favorite aspect of the book. This kept me engaged and helped me stay in tune to how Esperanza and her family were feeling. ( )
  ajfurman | Oct 21, 2014 |
Summary:

Esperanza Ortega was a Mexican girl who lived a reasonably comfortable life as the daughter of a wealthy ranch owner. Her idyllic life took a dramatic turn when her father was killed and home was burned. After a series of unfortunate events, Esperanza and her mother fled to California and began a new life living in a labor camp with their servants and their families. Esperanza's struggle to hold on to her old life was a source of entertainment to the other poor children who made fun of Esperanza. This story follows Esperanza as she learns to rise above the tragedy and changes in her life during the depression in a new country.

Personal Reaction:

I enjoyed this story this much and especially like the author's inclusion of Spanish and English vocabulary paired together that provided explanation to the reader who is unfamiliar with Spanish. This is the first book set in the time period of the depression that was not about people living in the Midwest specifically, or eastern United States and it was appealing to me by providing a different perspective. The author's ability to provide information about the culture Esperanza grew up knowing and how her life changed after fleeing to California was also very interesting to me as the reader. I would definitely recommend this book to young readers looking for more challenging chapter books.

Extension Ideas:

1 - Students can research Cesar Chavez looking for similarities he may share with the characters in the book. Using that information, and the character information from the book students can write a letter to Esperanza telling her about Cesar Chavez's work to help the migrant workers.

2 - Using the writing prompt "Esperanza, a teen in 2014" students will describe how Esperanza's life would have been different if she lived with the modern technology that teenagers have today. What would she tweet? What would her Facebook status say? What would she write in a blog about her new life in California? or the loss of her father and home in California? ( )
  MaryMK | Oct 20, 2014 |
This is a good multicultural book to read to young children so they can have an understanding of other cultures besides their own. It tells the story of Esperanza who thought she would always have a perfect life on a Ranch in Mexico with her family, but then the story turns when she and her mom have to flee to California. This book is good for kids because it outlines the fact that it is not always a happy story and there will always be hard times in life.
  Jclark5 | Oct 15, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading “Esperanza Rising” for many reasons. The first reason I enjoyed this chapter book was the language used to illustrate the story. Many words found in the book were in Spanish. When the Spanish word was first introduced, it stated the meaning of the word in English right after. For example, when the kids were making fun of Esperanza, the girl said, “iLa Cenicienta! Cinderella!” This quote states the word in Spanish and then translates the meaning in English. Although the plot was sad at times, I found myself always engaged in the text. The plot of this story was developed well. This story inspires the reader to persevere through hard obstacles and stay strong. I also enjoyed the aspect of family that played a very strong role in this book. For example, after her family had lost nearly everything, Esperanza still had her family to support her. I found this quote to be important as well as moving, “I am poor, but I am rich. I have my children, I have a garden with roses, and I have my faith and the memories of those who had gone before me. What more is there?” This quote pushes the reader to think beyond materials and objects but more about what one cannot buy. The main idea of this story is to not take anything for granted and cherish the things you cannot buy, as in family. This book was written very well and I would recommend it to anyone this book. ( )
  vharsh1 | Oct 15, 2014 |
(5.5)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Curriculum Connection:  3rd Grade Social Studies Std. 1 History:

Concepts and skills students master:2. People in the past influence the development and interaction of different communities or regions
d.  Describe the history, interaction, and contribution of the various peoples and cultures that have lived in or migrated to a community or region (DOK 1-2)
-------------------------------
Esperanza believed her life would be wonderful forever. She would always live on her family's ranch in Mexico. She would always have fancy dresses and a beautiful home filled with servants. Papa and Abuelita would always be with her.
But a sudden tragedy shatters her world and forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California, where they settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Experanza isn't ready for the hard labor, finanacial struggles brought on by the Great Depression., and lack of acceptance she now faces. When Mama gets sick, and a strike for better working conditions threatens to uproot their new life, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances - because Mama's life and her own depend on it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043912042X, Paperback)

A reissue of Pam Munoz Ryan's bestselling backlist with a distinctive new author treatment.

Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When their new life is threatened, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances--Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:12 -0400)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,420,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible