Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Pam Munoz Ryan

4,4174691,109 ()64
Member:kredlove
Title:Esperanza Rising
Authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Other authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Info:Scholastic (2002), Paperback, 262 pages
Tags:Lit Circle Book

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan (2000)

English (466)  German (1)  All languages (467)
Esperanza Rising is an incredible book that I one day hope to read to my own students. I liked this book because it was very clever. Abuelita’s words of wisdom are methodically included all throughout the book. I think that the ending was incredible—when it became clear to the reader that Abuelita’s quilt was a symbol for persevering in the face of hardships. I was also very impressed with the character-development all throughout the book. I liked how the author provided the reader with a backstory for almost every character. Marta’s backstory was probably the most interesting one of all. I also like how the author depicted Esperanza’s transformation. She went from being pampered and oblivious to the plight of others to a sympathetic and strong, young woman. Her determination to get through all that she was faced with was very inspiring. Overall, I really like the language used in this book. The author succeeds in painting a very vivid picture of each scene. During the very first scene in the book, I could tell that the author was very skilled: “The warm sun pressed on one of Esperanza’s cheeks and the warm Earth on the other”. She succeed in making the reader feel they are actually there. I really like how the book includes Spanish words—this is a feature of multicultural texts that allow students to better connect to the reading. I think that this feature of the book would be engaging for all students, not just Spanish-speaking students. The main message of Esperanza Rising is to never be afraid of the obstacles that one might face in their life. The book also includes strong themes of family, loyalty, and courage. Overall, this was a very enjoyable book. The plot was well-paced and keeps the reader entertained all throughout. This book also pushes the reader to think about the tough issues that the workers faced in California. This book provided a window into the historical struggles of migrant workers and all of the prejudices that they faced. I think it is important for children to be aware of this history. ( )
  marmig2 | Feb 26, 2015 |
I liked Esperanza Rising primarily due to it's characters. The author wrote about the characters in such a way that you can see what they look like and can distinguish each person's personality clearly. I also liked this book because it pushes readers in that they have to think about tough issues like how it must feel to go from being rich to poor. It also incorporates how those involved in the Mexican Revolution felt. The main message from Esperanza Rising is that you should learn to cherish the small things in life such as family because that is really the only important thing. It is easy to get wrapped up in wanting all the fancy materialistic things but they do not last forever. ( )
  nsnide1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
In my opinion this a great book. It was very interesting and intriguing to read. Every chapter captured my attention and it made me want to read more. The characters were, what made the story interesting. As the story developed, I got to know the characters and for me, they are who made the story interesting. The language used in the story was also very descriptive and helpful while reading some parts of the story, I felt as if I was actually there, because of setting and how the author described the setting that the story took place.I believe the message of the story was to not be afraid to start over in life we may go through obstacles but we should not let them get in the way of our future.
  pbusto1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
I like this book because of the characters and the plot of the story. The characters are realistic. The story could be based off of an actual girl in a historical time. This book is set in the Mexican revolution, so it could of happened at one time. The plot is also has a roller coaster effect. The plot starts off high and everything is going well then tragedy hits and then bad things happen. There is a lot of suspense as to what happens next, if something good or bad was going to happen. The message of the story is to be patient and open to new beginnings. ( )
  egiddi1 | Feb 26, 2015 |
I thought this was a lovely book. It is a great example of how one can overcome hardships and "rise" to the occasion. It has just enough mystery or intrigue to keep the reader hooked. ( )
  cminter | Feb 22, 2015 |
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Curriculum Connection:  3rd Grade Social Studies Std. 1 History:

Concepts and skills students master:2. People in the past influence the development and interaction of different communities or regions
d.  Describe the history, interaction, and contribution of the various peoples and cultures that have lived in or migrated to a community or region (DOK 1-2)
-------------------------------
Esperanza believed her life would be wonderful forever. She would always live on her family's ranch in Mexico. She would always have fancy dresses and a beautiful home filled with servants. Papa and Abuelita would always be with her.
But a sudden tragedy shatters her world and forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California, where they settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Experanza isn't ready for the hard labor, finanacial struggles brought on by the Great Depression., and lack of acceptance she now faces. When Mama gets sick, and a strike for better working conditions threatens to uproot their new life, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances - because Mama's life and her own depend on it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043912042X, Paperback)

A reissue of Pam Munoz Ryan's bestselling backlist with a distinctive new author treatment.

Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When their new life is threatened, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances--Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:12 -0400)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,681,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible