Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Pam Munoz Ryan

Member:kredlove
Title:Esperanza Rising
Authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Other authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Info:Scholastic (2002), Paperback, 262 pages
Tags:Lit Circle Book

Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan (2000)

English (560)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (563)
Lovely book about Mexican farm workers during Great Depression. ( )
  lizzieross | Jun 21, 2016 |
One of my favorite reads, I felt sorry for Esperanza but loved her resilience and how she made a new life for herself outside of upper-class life.

Best Required Reading Ever. Very sweet. ( )
  knotbox | Jun 9, 2016 |
This was a well-written story about a young Mexican girl whose life is set in turmoil. She moves to California during the Great Depression. Not only does she have to deal with the racism and economic hardships of the times, she also has to deal with personal loss and tragedy. I liked the historical descriptions, but I found I really didn't like Esperanza all that much. However, at the end, I could see her character changing and I began to accept her. Having said all that, if I was rating this book as a teacher, I would give it a 5 star rating. The historical descriptions were excellent and there were plenty of talking points that would keep the students interested. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
Esperanza Rising - Pam Munoz Ryan
4 stars

Pam Munoz Ryan is a California treasure. As an early childhood teacher, several of her picture books were my go-to choices for a multi-cultural, read-a-loud. Esperanza Rising is written for an older, middle-grade audience. Esperanza is a 13-year-old Mexican girl who has suffered the loss of her father and her prosperous home. She immigrates to California with her mother and their former servants to become a farm worker during the Great Depression. This book received a lot of attention when it was published. It won numerous well-deserved awards. The story has a very authentic feeling. Ryan based it on the life of her own grandmother. For years, I’ve seen complaints about the lack of elementary books portraying strong, female characters. There are even fewer providing positive role models for children of color. This book is a good place to start.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Great book for 5th grade, a little to advanced for beyond that. This book examines immigration from Mexico to America during the Great Depression. ( )
  CleoButtermann | Apr 25, 2016 |
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Esperanza grows up on a Mexican farm in a wealthy family. When her father is killed, she and her mother lose everything and must migrate to the US. There she must work and live as a poor immigrant. Finally, at the end, she and her family are reunited with her grandmother, who had to stay in Mexico due to injury.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043912042X, Paperback)

A reissue of Pam Munoz Ryan's bestselling backlist with a distinctive new author treatment.

Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When their new life is threatened, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances--Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:38 -0400)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,883,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible