Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Rising (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Pam Munoz Ryan, Pam Munoz Ryan

Member:kredlove
Title:Esperanza Rising
Authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Other authors:Pam Munoz Ryan
Info:Scholastic (2002), Paperback, 262 pages
Tags:Lit Circle Book

Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan (2000)

English (411)  German (1)  All languages (412)
In my opinion, this is a satisfactory book. I thought the book pushes readers to think about tough issues, and difficult situations. It deals with death and sickness, and shows how Esperanza had to cope in here particular situation. I realize this book brings about some contradiction because, yes, some can say well Esperanza is spoiled and doesn't have basic life skills. For example when she needs to start sweeping the floor, but doesn't know how to use a broom. Yet on the other hand, she wasn't brought up that way, and is now being thrown in a whirlwind of new experiences for her. Going along with talking about tough issues, I though this book was a bit mature for a fourth grade reading level. The content within the book is indeed realistic, I am just struggling with my opinion of whether or not this book is too mature for that age range, or if it can be a good thing to introduce to them. Overall, Esperanza Rising was a satisfactory read for me, and it provides a true to life quality for the reader. ( )
  Skaide1 | Sep 23, 2014 |
Esperanza Rising is a great book that chronicles the lives of migrant workers in the era of The Great Depression. The language and writing is descriptive and engaging as it details the lives of these immigrants and their struggles. Although it was slightly difficult to put myself in the place of a little girl, it was interesting to see that perspective once again, and young readers will really feel for her and connect with her. The plot had me reading quickly like it was an addiction- I really wanted to know what happened next. Overall, this book is great and really places readers in the difficult lives of these characters. ( )
  jmitra1 | Sep 23, 2014 |
I liked this book a lot, and was able to appreciate the story more now than when I was young. The language in this novel is interesting because it combines Spanish with English. The time is measured in growing seasons, which adds to the setting of the story. The writing is engaging and makes the reader want to continue on. The author paces it well by never remaining on one issue for too long. The story is from Esperanza’s point of view, which makes it an interesting conflict for the reader when she reacts to situations without grace. It does allow for a better understanding of her though, and makes her growth as a person much more clear. This book pushes readers to thing about a lot of issues. Even though it took place a long time ago, immigration is still an issue surrounding our country. I think Esperanza’s story helps us see the issue from the other side. Overall, the book’s message is about rising above difficult circumstances. ( )
  tburfe1 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Esperanza Rising – By Pam Munoz Ryan (Chapter Book)

I loved the book Esperanza Rising, by Pam Munoz Ryan for several reasons. The story of Esperaza and her family is intriguing and it is a book that is hard to put down. The story of her life really encounters the life lesson that “you can rise above those who hold you down” The story also emphasizes the importance of family and team work while explaining different status roles and how one day you could have everything and the next you could have nothing. However, I think this book is a bit complicated for fourth graders. I found the read to be easy for myself and interesting but it did take time to read and fully comprehend what was going on. I would push the book up to seventh or eighth graders because it explores a complex story of a family’s life that really involves the reader to understand. ( )
  sconne7 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Esperanza Rising
Bryan O’Keeffe

I really did not enjoy reading Esperanza Rising. The book is done really well but I was not able to relate to the story at all. I know the historical context that the story is set in and enjoy that time period. However I really did not enjoy this book at all. For myself someone who is in the upper class and has life really good and takes things for granted is not someone I like to really read about. I had a hard time because I felt the Esperanza was really whiny for a good portion of the book. Especially when she first came to America and had to do hard work. When she was taking a bath and she stood up with her arms out to have someone wash her to me seemed really stupid. Of course she was not used to doing any kind of manual labor but she was a minority in the huge class of poor immigrants from Mexico at the work camp.
I did not have many other complaints about the book other than the main character Esperanza. I did become a little invested towards the second half of the book when Esperanza was forced to work because her mother was sick and in the Hospital. Her struggle was very believable and well developed. Over the course of the entire book Esperanza goes through significant character development. She starts out as this innocent cute little rich girl who has her Father and house servants to take care of her. Then her father dies and she is forced to immigrate to America because of the Evil Tio Luis. Her struggle in America at the work camp was based on actual historical events that went on in the early 20th century. It was interesting to kind of learn a little bit more through this fictional story.
The plot was done really well amongst other things in this book. The conflict/ resolution in this story is one of the better young readers chapter books that I have read in a while. Things do not take long to get started. Her father is killed, she is forced into America because of Tio Luis wanting to marry her mother. Her mother gets sick and Esperanza has to work and hope to get Abuela into America. Miguel steals Esperanza’s money only to show up later with Abuela herself. The ending of this book brings to the story together because even through her struggle things seemed to work out in the end. ( )
  bokeef2 | Sep 22, 2014 |
Aquel que hoy se cae, se levantará mañana.
He who falls today may rise tomorrow.

Es más rico el rico cuando empobrece que el pobre cuando enriquece.
The rich person is richer when he becomes poor, than the poor person when he becomes rich.

- Mexican proverbs
To the memory of Esperana Ortega Muñoz Hernandez Elgart, mi abuelita.

Baskets of grapes to my editor, Tracy Mack, for patiently waiting for fruit to fall.

Roses to Ozella Bell, Jess Marquez, Don Bell, and Hope Muñoz Bell for sharing their stories.

Smooth stones and yarn dolls to Ibabel Schon, PhD., and Leticia Guadarrama, Teresa Mlawerr, and Macarena Salas for their expertise and assistance.
"Our land is alive, Esperanza," said Papa, taking her small hand as they walked through the gentle slopes of the vineyard.
Did you know that when you lie down on the land, you can feel it breathe? That you can feel it's heart beating?
"We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us."

Curriculum Connection:  3rd Grade Social Studies Std. 1 History:

Concepts and skills students master:2. People in the past influence the development and interaction of different communities or regions
d.  Describe the history, interaction, and contribution of the various peoples and cultures that have lived in or migrated to a community or region (DOK 1-2)
-------------------------------
Esperanza believed her life would be wonderful forever. She would always live on her family's ranch in Mexico. She would always have fancy dresses and a beautiful home filled with servants. Papa and Abuelita would always be with her.
But a sudden tragedy shatters her world and forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California, where they settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Experanza isn't ready for the hard labor, finanacial struggles brought on by the Great Depression., and lack of acceptance she now faces. When Mama gets sick, and a strike for better working conditions threatens to uproot their new life, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances - because Mama's life and her own depend on it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043912042X, Paperback)

A reissue of Pam Munoz Ryan's bestselling backlist with a distinctive new author treatment.

Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance she now faces. When their new life is threatened, Esperanza must find a way to rise above her difficult circumstances--Mama's life, and her own, depend on it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:12 -0400)

Esperanza and her mother are forced to leave their life of wealth and privilege in Mexico to go work in the labor camps of Southern California, where they must adapt to the harsh circumstances facing Mexican farm workers on the eve of the Great Depression.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,983,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible