Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting…

by Kate Harding, Marianne Kirby

Member:bitchlibrary
Title:Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body
Authors:Kate Harding
Other authors:Marianne Kirby
Info:Perigee Trade (2009), Edition: 1, Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:Body Image, Girl Guides

Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body by Kate Harding

The parts that were relevant to my were very informative and well written. I like the section on intuitive eating especially ( )
  wanderingwynd | Oct 27, 2015 |
I'm not totally convinced of the science they site, but in terms of body image and self-acceptance, this book is a phenomenal place to start. I think it's really valuable for any woman in Western society. ( )
  calmclam | Mar 19, 2012 |
I only knew my weight from the times I went to the doctor. Mostly, I just knew if my clothes were fitting or not. If they weren't, and I was to cheap to go buy new ones, I would hop on the treadmill just a little bit more than usual. Then I discovered online food tracking and "helpful diet hints". While I got down to a skinny weight, I ended up gaining it back (plus more when I had thyroid surgery and my meds got out of whack). Even though I've never been obese, or even heavy, I beat myself up on a regular basis. 5 more pounds, 10 more pounds....

After starting the Biggest Loser at work and having to weigh myself every week, I got even more down about myself. Two and a half months of diet and exercise and I lost 1 pound. Seeing my doc, we discovered my thyroid meds were again messed up so my metabolism was messed up. Bloody hell. At this point, I decided I wasn't dieting anymore. I missed cooking my big feasts and baking and well....eating. I love food, dammit. I didn't want to throw exercise out the window because I actually like my treadmill and feeling good afterwards. I liked the extra energy because obviously my thyroid meds weren't going to help me there.

Lo and behold, I found a review for this book, which is all about accepting your body for what it is. Bless you authors. The 2 ladies go over all the reasons to give up dieting and wishing for a body that you just don't have. Major studies have shown that your body will do what it needs to do, meaning it will stay in the weight range it's meant to be in, regardless of how much you yo-yo and push it to change. Diets don't work. Anything that alters how you eat, portion control, calorie restrictions, etc, just don't work. At least not long term. So why put your body through that?

This book encourages learning how to be healthy at any size, doing exercise that you enjoy doing and eating when you're hungry and stopping when you're full. Revolutionary! They also emphasize that food is neutral, it's not bad or good. It's whatever you want. There are too many messages from our culture out there telling women (and men) how they should look if they want to win at life and frankly, they're just wrong. Not everyone is meant to be a size zero and people shouldn't be humiliated to be the size they just are.

The authors don't want you to give up on yourself. They're just asking you to be kind to yourself and go out and quit worry about that last 10 or 15 pounds. You are perfect the way you are. ( )
  manadabomb | Mar 21, 2010 |
I cannot recommend this book enough for anyone, fat or thin. We all live in the same cult of thinness, and this book is a great start towards overcoming that. The authors are two great fat acceptance bloggers. It has really inspired me to work on overcoming the "Health at any size is great for other people, but I still need to lose weight" thinking. ( )
  dberryfan | Sep 10, 2009 |
I really like this book. I may not agree with everything that Harding and Kirby have to say (or, always, the way they say it) but overall, it is a good book with many excellent points. It's also enjoyable to read, written with a friendly and irreverent style - although parts of it can be more difficult to read because of the truth in what they say. It's not easy to look truth in the eye.

Recommended for anyone with body issues, especially people dealing with being fat in weight-obsessed societies. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Jul 20, 2009 |
Diets don't work.

From the leading bloggers in the fat-acceptance movement comes an empowering guide to body image- no matter what the scales say.

When it comes to body image, women can be their own worst enemies, aided and abetted by society and the media. But Harding and Kirby, the leading bloggers in the "fatosphere," the online community of the fat acceptance movement, have written a book to help readers achieve admiration for-or at least a truce with-their bodies. The authors believe in "health at every size"-the idea that weight does not necessarily determine well-being and that exercise and eating healthfully are beneficial, regardless of whether they cause weight loss. They point to errors in the media, misunderstood and ignored research, as well as stories from real women around the world to underscore their message. In the up-front and honest style that has become the trademark of their blogs, they share with readers twenty-seven ways to reframe notions of dieting and weight, including: accepting that diets don't work, practicing intuitive eating, finding body-positive doctors, not judging other women, and finding a hobby that has nothing to do with one's weight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:40 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,946,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible