The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett

The Thin Man

by Dashiell Hammett

English (81)  Spanish (4)  All languages (85)
And I loved the movies also. ( )
  Greymowser | Jan 22, 2016 |
I probably would have liked The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett much more if I hadn't had the excellent 1934 movie of the same name to compare it with. Nick and Nora Charles are so firmly planted in my brain as William Powell and Myrna Loy that it was difficult to accept the print version, which was slightly different.
The bond between this married couple is there in the print version and some of the humor but the light touch of sophistication, the twinkle in William Powell’s eye, the clever sassiness of Myrna Loy, and most importantly the charisma between these two actors was lacking in the book version.

The plot is shrouded in a web of lies and deceit that Nick has to sift through in order to find the murderer in this convoluted mystery. I did however, find the women characters of Dorothy and her mother, Mimi, very interesting and well done. Overall I prefer the more hard boiled noir style of Sam Spade, but Nick Charles, with his laid back observations and his ability at reading people certainly got the job done. The sheer amount of liquor that Nick and Nora consumed, along with their odd lifestyle was strangely fascinating to read about.

Although not as much fun as the movies I found The Thin Man had enough charm and wit to make it a worthwhile read. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 22, 2016 |
Nick and Nora Charles have come to New York from San Francisco for Christmas and New Year’s Eve when they become drawn into the murder of a missing mad scientist’s secretary and the antics of his crazy family and other colourful characters. The plot and mystery thickens as various suspects show up but aren’t easy to pin to the murder. Nick hasn’t been a sleuth in a number of years, and this is the first time Nora’s been in on any type of case. There is plenty of alcohol, fighting and all night antics during this investigation.

I liked this better than I had expected, given that I’m not generally big on hard boiled detectives in books. Perhaps because I was tired and exhausted while reading this, dropping off for several unplanned naps, or perhaps because it was so well done, but I really didn’t clue into the real perpetrator myself for once. I read this for a Nora and Nick challenge, and it was a rather fun read.
  Karin7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
This was a very good mystery by Dashiell Hammett. I liked the characters and the plot was very good. It was a page-turner to the very end and the killer was a complete surprise. Although The Thin Man was very good, I think I like The Maltese Falcon better. That being said, I definitely will be reading more of Hammett's mysteries as I like his style of writing very much. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
Nick and Nora Charles are on vacation in New York City when Nick becomes embroiled in the murder of s ecretary of his former client.A good pulp mystery with a satisfying conclusion. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |

Hammett, Dashiellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Huhtala, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walker, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lillian
I was leaning against the bar in a speakeasy on Fifty-second Street, waiting for Nora to finish her Christmas shopping, when a girl got up from the table where she had been sitting with three other people and came over to me.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679722637, Paperback)

The Thin Man, Dashiell Hammett's classic tale of murder in Manhattan, became the popular movie series with William Powell and Myrna Loy, and both the movies and the novel continue to captivate new generations of fans.

Nick and Nora Charles, accompanied by their schnauzer, Asta, are lounging in their suite at the Normandie in New York City for the Christmas holiday, enjoying the prerogatives of wealth: meals delivered at any hour, theater openings, taxi rides at dawn, rubbing elbows with the gangster element in speakeasies. They should be annoyingly affected, but they charm. Mad about each other, sardonic, observant, kind to those in need, and cool in a fight, Nick and Nora are graceful together, and their home life provides a sanctuary from the rough world of gangsters, hoodlums, and police investigations into which Nick is immediately plunged.

A lawyer-friend asks Nick to help find a killer and reintroduces him to the family of Richard Wynant, a more-than-eccentric inventor who disappeared from society 10 years before. His former wife, the lush and manipulative Mimi, has remarried a European fortune hunter who turns out to be a vindictive former associate of her first husband and is bent on the ruin of Wynant's family fortune. Wynant's children, Dorothy and Gilbert, seem to have inherited the family aversion to straight talk. Dorothy, who has matured into a beautiful young woman, has a crush on Nick, and so, in a hero-worshipping way, does mama's boy Gilbert. Nick and Nora respond kindly to their neediness as Nick tries to make sense of misinformation, false identities, far-fetched alibis, and, at the center of the confusion, the mystery of The Thin Man, Richard Wynant. Is he mad? Is he a killer? Or is he really an eccentric inventor protecting his discovery from intellectual theft?

The dialogue is spare, the locales lively, and Nick, the narrator, shows us the players as they are, while giving away little of his own thoughts. No one is telling the whole truth, but Nick remains mostly patient as he doggedly tries to backtrack the lies. Hammett's New York is a cross between Damon Runyon and Scott Fitzgerald--more glamorous than real, but compelling when visited in the company of these two charmers. The lives of the rich and famous don't get any better than this! --Barbara Schlieper

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:51 -0400)

Nick Charles searches for a wealthy inventor who is the prime suspect in a New York City murder case.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014119460X, 0241962528

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,895,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible